• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-02-15
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

Hi

I’m on Day 4 of Champix and just wondered for those who are further along, how it affected your smoking?
Did you gradually cut down naturally, or were still smoking by your quit date? Did it make you ill if you smoked?
Just curious really!

Paula x
1518732000_20_1_GBP_9_default.png

a863856d29.png

#2 Roopy

Roopy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-02-04

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Hi Paula!

I just started my fourth week of Champix and my second week smoke free. It helps so much!!! About a week and a half in cigarettes just didn’t have much of an effect anymore. I started cutting back gradually and then decided just not to do it anymore. I still have cravings but it’s almost as though a cigarette wouldn’t satisfy it anyway so why bother. I haven’t had any bad effects, dreams are vivid but not bad it’s kinda neat lol. Best of luck to you!
  • Jillar, blzinpgh and sslip like this

#3 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

Hi Paula. For me, it pretty quickly became easier for me to "resist the urge" to have one. So I did, I just tried to go longer and longer between cigs because I could - I told myself I was "practicing" for quitting. I was surprised though that the cigarettes I was smoking tasted and felt just the same as always.

I was quickly down to 4 smokes a day when I got sick one day, and my upset stomach made smoking sound yukky, and before I knew it I'd gone 12 hours clean, so I figured I'd just go to sleep and have most of my first day done and that was that. I didn't quit on my intended quit date, I just didn't feel ready that soon. I wonder how long I might have gone before taking the plunge if I hadn't gotten sick that day.

It affects everyone slightly differently, I understand. But in my case, it certainly made it easier. Though it was a little rough later when stopping the Chantix.

• Jillar, cvold and sslip like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#4 Paulac

Paulac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-02-15

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

Lin, what do you mean rougher when stopping..... you mean the cravings or side effects?

a863856d29.png

#5 Gen78

Gen78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:53 PM

I'm also on day 4. I feel like the nicotine is cutting off from my brain. I actually smoked more yesterday.
Strange dreams are the only noticeable side effect so far. Tonight is the evening dose, which I am a little nervous about but ready!

#6 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hi Paula and Gen78, champix works great as an AID to stop smoking but there is still going to be work to do on your part to stay quit. I took chantix a few years back and after a week on it quit for the next three weeks then stopped taking it despite the recommendations to take it a minimum of three months. As soon as I quit taking it I went back to smoking. Why? Because I wasn't ready to quit number one and because I didn't use it correctly.
Chantix/Champix is meant to lessen the cravings not be a miracle cure so be prepared to have craves. When they happen you have us to help talk you through until it passes :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#7 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

Lin, what do you mean rougher when stopping..... you mean the cravings or side effects?

As far as cravings vs. side effects, I had a hard time knowing what might be which, you know? It was all jumbled together with me.

As far as rougher when stopping.....here is my rough understanding. The med binds itself to the receptors in the brain that make smoking "pleasurable". That's why we have an easier time not giving in to wanting to smoke while on the Chantix. But we are just delaying that part of the "brain healing" process. It still has to occur. We have to train those receptors back to normal "pleasure" things. Which is why I think I had a bit of a hard time after going off the med. But that was okay. By then I had the momentum, by then I knew I could sustain the willpower I needed to keep the quit.

Don't read too much into anything I have said here. Shoot, my understanding of the thing may be wildly off base. :smile: Everyone's experiences with the Chantix - same as everyone's experiences with quitting - are different. Many people have no problem at all with Chantix side effects or stopping it.

Quitting is awesome Paula. I will look forward to following your journey.

• Jillar likes this

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#8 Paulac

Paulac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-02-15

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

As far as cravings vs. side effects, I had a hard time knowing what might be which, you know? It was all jumbled together with me.

As far as rougher when stopping.....here is my rough understanding. The med binds itself to the receptors in the brain that make smoking "pleasurable". That's why we have an easier time not giving in to wanting to smoke while on the Chantix. But we are just delaying that part of the "brain healing" process. It still has to occur. We have to train those receptors back to normal "pleasure" things. Which is why I think I had a bit of a hard time after going off the med. But that was okay. By then I had the momentum, by then I knew I could sustain the willpower I needed to keep the quit.

Don't read too much into anything I have said here. Shoot, my understanding of the thing may be wildly off base. :smile: Everyone's experiences with the Chantix - same as everyone's experiences with quitting - are different. Many people have no problem at all with Chantix side effects or stopping it.

Quitting is awesome Paula. I will look forward to following your journey.

Definitely not reading too much into anything. Just really interested in people’s experiences as they seem to be very different!
Px

a863856d29.png

#9 Paulac

Paulac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-02-15

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

Hi Paula and Gen78, champix works great as an AID to stop smoking but there is still going to be work to do on your part to stay quit. I took chantix a few years back and after a week on it quit for the next three weeks then stopped taking it despite the recommendations to take it a minimum of three months. As soon as I quit taking it I went back to smoking. Why? Because I wasn't ready to quit number one and because I didn't use it correctly.
Chantix/Champix is meant to lessen the cravings not be a miracle cure so be prepared to have craves. When they happen you have us to help talk you through until it passes :)

Hi!
I know it’s not a cure, but definitely hoping it helps!
I’m so ready to quit.....I just hope to make it a little easier going!
  • Jillar likes this

a863856d29.png

#10 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,685 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

Champix will not make you ill if you smoke...smoking just becomes less enjoyable.  I quit using it, and took it the full 12 weeks.  The only side effects I had were nausea if I took it without food, and vivid dreams.  Remember that all quitters have withdrawal symptoms, so sometimes it is hard to distinguish between those and reactions to the drug.  For example, most people go through dramatic mood swings, regardless of the method they chose to quit.

Welcome to the board!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#11 JimHannoonen

JimHannoonen

Ruler Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

Chantix had no effect on me while I was smoking. Smokes tasted the same as they always did and I smoked a pack a day up until my quit date.

That said, Chantix made ALL the difference once I quit.

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

#12 Wayne045

Wayne045

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationVA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:48 PM

I had no problem coming off the Chantix. I actually quit smoking and Chantix the same day. Which I don't recommend by the way, stay the course.

This was my 2nd attempt with Chantix, I wasnt really willing to quit the 1st time. On the 2nd (and last) attempt, smoking had ceased to be pleasurable or provide any satisfaction plus I was still feeling the failure of the first quit. I was smoking purely out of habit. Ending up quitting in the middle of the day
  • Jillar and Lin-quitting like this

1464544800_11_1_USD_5.25_default.png

#13 Dutchess66

Dutchess66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-17
  • LocationOn an island in the Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

Hi Paula,

I quit with Champix on the 10th day. After taking the first pill the cigs already tasted different. I smoked as usual (too much). The ‘day before’ I smoked my last end went to bed. The next morning I did not light one.
To me this felt like taking the leap of faith. The Champix helped taking off the rough edges of the cravings.

This is now 333 days ago, according to my app. 😁

Weening off the Champix went slowly and I took it longer than 3 months, although I did not take the full dose after 2 months. It’s a natural process in the end.

In the beginning I also experienced vivid dreams. One was very strange. I went on a date with our Minister-President! And he is not even my party haha. But we had fun and nobody got hurt.

I wish you good luck on you journey to freedom!

Dutchess
  • Lin-quitting likes this

Yes! I quit smoking, but still I am fighting my addiction but hey:

30ksjlf.jpg

#14 blzinpgh

blzinpgh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-07

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

Paulac and Gen,

i'm just over a month quit on chantix and i can say it really helps.  after a week or so on it, i just lost the urge to go outside to smoke (the fact that its 5 degrees outside at the time probably contributed, bit actually is a good example in that, normally i would have braved the coldto get my fix, but on the chantix i wasn't gettin any "satisfaction" from the smoke, so why stand in the cold). My wife started commenting on how short my smoke breaks were becoming.  Finally on about day 10 or 11, i stopped, actually a day or so before i had originally set as being my quit date.  Still have some weird dreams, occasional mild nausea, or mild headache/difficulty concentrating, but nothing major.  I also found myself only taking 1, 1mg pill per day (or maybe 3 pills every two days), as with two of them per day i feel over-medicated and really did have trouble concentrating.  That's probably different for everybody.

I plan on taking it the whole 3 months and then tapering off. I forgot to take it a couple days a week or so ago and found myself a little down/depressed and even a little cravy for a smoke.  Probably the way the chantix/champix acts on dopamine receptors.  That's my main concern about getting off of it, although it help me quit, so it will be worth it. 

Happy to help answer any more questions you may have.  But back to work for now.

• sslip likes this

--B

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2018

#15 Gen78

Gen78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

Thanks all! My quit date is the 20th, and now on day 6, I am only lighting out of habit. Yesterday was awful with a headache but the weather jumped 40 degrees. So that could be why. And the brain fog. Today is much better though.
I'm not getting anything out of smoking. When I get to full dose, I'm hoping it'll be the kick to helping me say no. I want to say no so bad and it's been a grieving process of sorts the last few days.

#16 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,652 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

Hi Paula, welcome to QSMB !  Champix or not, just quit and change the course of your journey to a by far better and more enjoyable rest of your life.

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users