• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rpbrownphoto

rpbrownphoto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:34 AM

I know it is recommended to start on step two if you smoke ten or fewer cigarettes per day, but what if you smoke one or two a day and then some days you don't smoke at all? That has been my routine, but more and more I fine myself craving cigarettes badly so I want to stop before it's too late. Would starting at step 3 make sense?

Thanks

#2 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:44 AM

You can always start at Step 3, and if you find it isn't doing the job, up to Step 2 for a bit before going back down to step 3.  Whatever works to get you to stop smoking, that's the goal, and there are many ways to do it.  All of them are right if you work them right for you!

Welcome!!  Read all you can about this addiction and it's many facets, and ways of overcoming it.  Addicted is addicted, be it one or 20 or 40 a day, if you "gotta have it"... you're addicted !

• Smokefreetoday likes this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of:87d3d921fc.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:54 AM

Welcome rp, I don't know about the patches but I did want to congratulate you on taking back your life :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 rpbrownphoto

rpbrownphoto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:13 AM

Thanks you guys. I actually quit 18 months ago (along with drinking) but I started this new job and have been stressed out as hell. I thought smoking would help but of course, it just makes everything worse. 

#5 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:15 AM

Yea crazy mistake lots of us make thinking smoking will help :doh:

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#6 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,685 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:52 AM

If you only smoke one or two cigarettes a day, and some days none, then I don't think you should start the patch at all.  You would be increasing your nicotine intake, I think.  Just make up your mind..Not One Puff Ever!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#7 rpbrownphoto

rpbrownphoto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:41 AM

That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean I did smoke three today. But this whole cigarette fling has been going on for about two weeks. Maybe it's worth it just to tough it out and bring hard candies to work or something. Because a step 3 patch is equivalent to like what, 5 cigarettes?

#8 Kermit H

Kermit H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

Welcome...I agree with Nancy... I don't know anything about patches but with that few a day, I would suggest going cold turkey...no need to prolong the process
A proud member of the 2018 quit team:

2w6aomf.png

event.png

You can do this, this is important, I believe in you!

#9 Despair Not

Despair Not

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-21

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:01 AM

Hi

Try the Cold Turkey many 30 year smokers here can do it so can you.

• Kermit H likes this
"Get busy living or get busy dying"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#10 JustWright

JustWright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

Rp-

I used the patches to quit. I was a 39 year, 1/2 pk a day smoker. I used the two strongest doses for the prescribed amount of time. Never used the lowest dose......hot weather hit, patches slid off.

I agree with some of the above.......try Cold Turkey first. Make up your mind that you are done with cigarettes! Stick around and let us know how you are doing.

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#11 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Anything but smoking.  Smoking is not an option.  

#12 cvold

cvold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-16
  • LocationBaraboo, Wisconsin

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:26 PM

You need to be very, very careful when combining nrt products and active smoking. That increase in nicotine levels in your system can alter your heart rythum among other health problems. It is not worth the risk. The best thing that you can do for yourself is to go for it. All of it-cold turkey. Smoking will no longer be an option for a nicotine addict like you and I and everybody here. If you find it terribly tough going then by all means start the patch, just don't do both. You have the ability to do this, you really do.
  • Jillar and Kermit H like this
Always remember: you are not going
through this because you quit. You are going through this because you smoked...

Quit smoking; August 16, 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users