Hev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-26
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

I as newby read eveything and anything but I was reading the thread how long did you smoke for and it got me thinking.  We my partner and myself are very lucky Mike is 72 smoked until 6 years ago and me Im 64 3 weeks clean but we are still fit I wont say healthy as we dont know. Yesterday for example Mike was in the attic rewireing a house and me I went for a run (it was short as there is snow on the ground).  We run our small holding but there is not so much to do in the winter. We are so thankful that all the years we have abused our bodies we are in quite good shape Im sure some smoking related problem will finish us off but we are so happy and now I am smoke free it should make everything better.

• Frank, oahusurfer82, Jillar and 4 others like this

a7b76dddfa.png

#2 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

That’s nice to hear you guys are fit
Smoke Free Forever !!!

#3 beazel

beazel

Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,094 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

That's awesome Hev! Not smoking will make your fitness level even better, I'm sure!!

Congratulations to you both!!

2iijyuf.pngYoung Pharte     

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 loveshower.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess 

#4 tocevoD

tocevoD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationLiverpool, United Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

Smoking definitely holds you back. I packed in New Years Day and have been for 3 runs since around a big park in my home city. Each time I have been the times have got better. It is 2.4miles around the outside of the park and I'm currently at 21mins 46secs for a lap.

As my lungs get better from not smoking I'm aiming for sub 20secs. Just need to lose a few pounds around the waist aswell to boost times. Need to get my mouth wired shut because since packing in smoking I can't stop eating!
  • oahusurfer82, Jillar and NOPEster like this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2018

#5 NOPEster

NOPEster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-04
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Im eating too much, still. So happy I quit. This year will be the year to get fit.
  • Frank and barry like this

1486238401_40_1_USD_4_whitesec.png
2iijyuf.png

Started Smoking At 17, Quit Smoking At 55 . . . Recovering Nicotine Addict, Handle With Care

#6 c9jane29

c9jane29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-14

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

Change one letter...answer: veryfunny.gif
  • Frank, Jillar and sslip like this
Nicotine free since 14-05-17
"http://www.imagecont...cost_pack=7.50"
The only way to quit smoking is to stop putting cigarettes in your mouth.
NOPE'SNOT. worth it.

#7 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

I am not terribly fit per se, but after quitting I found the energy and wherewithal to start getting some exercise every day, which I never would do when I was still smoking. I think learning discipline - from quitting - extended to giving me the discipline to do my little daily exercise routine.

I walk, either outside on a track or (bad weather lately) on my garage treadmill, for 30-40 minutes. Every. Single. Day. (I don't let myself make excuses to not do it.) And a yoga class once a week. At 60 years old, I feel better than I have in years.

• Frank, Jillar, grun and 2 others like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#8 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,981 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

That's great hev :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#9 Lailow

Lailow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

Fitter than before I gave up already. I just seem to be a lot more motivated to get outside/ to the gym. I didn't think I would see a difference this quickly so am very excited to see where it leads from here!

• Frank and Lin-quitting like this

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2018

#10 brand.new.ela

brand.new.ela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted Yesterday, 08:01 AM

I wasn't fit before and started exercising a bit after I quit. I regularly run and want to do something for the core muscles too. Feel much better and have more energy now when I don't inhale poison anymore.

• Frank and Lin-quitting like this

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#11 barry

barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-12
  • LocationUSA

Posted Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Like many people, my fitness has been a rollercoaster throughout my adult life.

In my 20’s, I was in the military. Smoked like a chimney, but was in peak physical condition
In my 30’s, I was no longer in the military, had a desk job and got “soft”, still smoking 1-2 packs a day
In my 40’s, realized how fluffy I had gotten and got myself back in shape. Even quit smoking for almost 4 years. But was more fit.
In my 50’s, I had resumed smoking over a pack a day, pretty much ceased any exercise at all, I did manage to get a Masters degree, but that also took away any time I may have worked out.

Now, halfway through my 50’s, I have:

Taken up walking, and lost 30 pounds in the year befor I quit smoking.
Quit smoking in October, and promptly put 10 pounds back on
Redoubled my efforts. More frequent, longer walks. Watching what I eat (I use MyFitnessPal).
Now, down 5.5 pounds of the 10 I gained!

Probably a longer answer than you were looking for. So shoot me! :0)
  • jordan7, oahusurfer82 and neverland like this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#12 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,470 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted Yesterday, 03:50 PM

The only way "fit"  fits in to my life is when I realize my clothes won't fit  :laughbounce:

Seriously now, I don't know how fit I am, I do a little bit of cycling...  around 100 miles and 5,000 feet of climbing per week and most times I eat the dust from the other guys and gals, now is that fit? I guess it all depends who you compare yourself to.  I don't think I am. :unsure:  

But, it is a true statement that quitting smoking by far will increase your motivation to improve your general health, eating better, exercising and seeing life a different way, I guess it is because we realize we now have a chance to have a life. 

I hope I get to be Mikes age and be able to do what he does. 

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users