Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationMassachusetts USA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

Almost 2 weeks now! I'm excited to have gotten this far, and I'm surprised how many times I think I should go have a smoke before I can talk myself out of it. I am having stronger urges the last couple of days and I really have to watch out because it feels like the longer I don't smoke, the easier it might be to have 1. And I just keep thinking in the back of my mind, 1 would be OK.  It was this type of thinking that broke my 16 year quit. I had just 1, then a week later, another one, and it was going quite well for months, just having a couple a month. Until I started having more and more and more, and before I knew it , I had a real habit on my hands. That did it, and I have to keep reminding myself how 1 led to more. 

Sorry to ramble, but today I need to remind myself what happened so I don't do that again because I'm just feeling the urge, and the need... I know it will go away. I have to keep busy and eat more celery :)

I'm "NOPE" pledged for today, and I'll enjoy watching football without smoking tonight.  

Hope everyone else here is doing well today.  If you all can do it, I can do it. I can't smoke today.

Thanks for being here.

• garrym, d2e8b8, green meenie and 5 others like this

#2 beazel

beazel

Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

Seems like losing that 16 year quit has really helped to strengthen this (your sticky) quit.

You are an inspiration - I'm so happy you are here with us!

• Lin-quitting and Barb_S like this

2iijyuf.pngYoung Pharte     

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 loveshower.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess 

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,063 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

​Sorry you're having a tough day Barb, but you have the right attitude to get past it. You are right at the end of heck week fixin to start WTF week and it's called that for a reason! Keep posting and venting, not only does it help you but it also helps others :) Congrats on day 13 too!

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

Ramble all you need to Barb. Just don't smoke. And yep, football will be a lot better without cigarettes! :smile:

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#5 johnny5

johnny5

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-16
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:35 PM

This is the right attitude, Barb.  You will have many ups and downs early on in your quit but keep fighting through the struggles.  And definitely ramble all you want here.  You are doing great.

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. - Marvitta

I didn't quit smoking to live longer, I did it to live better. - jwg

event.png

2j3342d.jpg

#6 c9jane29

c9jane29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-14

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

I think it's beneficial to new quitters to read this post. Thank you for sharing your relapse story.
I wouldn't even give those thoughts the title of being an "urge"... Don't even give them the power. They are memories; the last of your addicted brain begging one last time, trying to find you at a weak moment.

But, you are not weak because you have NOPE armor! Battle on friend!
  • Barb_S likes this
Nicotine free since 14-05-17
"http://www.imagecont...cost_pack=7.50"
The only way to quit smoking is to stop putting cigarettes in your mouth.
NOPE'SNOT. worth it.

#7 sslip

sslip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-09
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

Hi Barb, congratulations on nearing the two week mark and thanks for sharing. I'm a few days behind you and the amount I'm thinking about smoking right now is crazy. Today is another tough one and although I wish you were having an easier time of it, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

We both know that one wouldn't ever be just the one, it really is all or nothing isn't it? Let's go on making the sensible choice of nothing.

I was fortunate enough today that one thing reminded me why I want to stay quit. I walked into an elevator and the previous occupant must have recently smoked. It stank, I smiled to myself and was glad it wasn't me. Of course, pride comes before a fall, it took me a few seconds to realise the elevator wasn't moving and that's because I didn't have the brain capacity to remember I needed to push a button to move it. Oh well, can't have everything and at least no harm done. :grin:

Wishing you well and a better day tomorrow. :smile:

• Huntressd and Barb_S like this

#8 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29
  • LocationMommy's Basement

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

The concept of NOPE is the only thing we smokers need to understand, accept and live by each and every day. Whether we have 1 Day, 1 Week, 1 Year or more quits under our belt. Smoking is an addiction and "just a little" simply doesn't work with any addiction.

• garrym and Rozuki like this

The process of quitting smoking doesn’t end with the last cigarette. It’s not quitting itself, the real key is staying quit!

#9 Joe7

Joe7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:48 PM

Congratulations on your 13 days Barb.

Your rambling does not just help you. It helps others reading here as well. Thanks for sharing.

#10 Barb_S

Barb_S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationMassachusetts USA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

I can't believe the support here!  Just wonderful.  You are all the best!!!  And now on to day 14.  Feeling good and ready to enjoy tomorrow! 

• Huntressd likes this

#11 Christian99

Christian99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • quitdate:
    2001-12-11
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

Way to go, Barb--we're with you, friend!

Christian99

16 Years Quit

• Barb_S likes this

#12 d2e8b8

d2e8b8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-17
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:50 AM

You're doing awesome, Barb.

• Barb_S likes this

#13 Wren

Wren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:50 PM

Hi Barb,

Thought i'd chime in as we have similiar stories..i am on day 13 and finding those thoughts of 'just one cigarette' tough too. They are not so much physical cravings now but that little voice that keeps trying to win you over. 

I started smoking at 18, quit around 9 years later and didn't smoke again for the next 21 years. I started again when a boyfriend smoked. Just the odd one now and then. Us splitting up was the 'excuse' i gave myself to go and buy some and that was it, every day for the last 4/5 years. I was so disappointed with myself.

What's helped me most this time is constantly reminding myself it's an addiction and there was no other reason for me smoking than that. The nicotine must be out of our bodies at nearly two weeks so there is no need to feed it anymore to gain relief. Throughout all those 21 years  I had the odd thought of cigarettes but that was it, and we'll soon get to that place again!

This board has been a brilliant support.

Well done Barb..keep going  :)

• Huntressd, brand.new.ela and sslip like this

#14 Mollie1

Mollie1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationSan Francisco Peninsula

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

Love the story about the elevator - not wanting to again experience those “brain-fog” days might just be one of the biggest reasons for avoiding that :just one” & having to quit all over again. In the early days, it was so hard to believe my brain would ever again function normally - but it did. Thanks for sharing!
  • sslip likes this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

#15 brand.new.ela

brand.new.ela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

Two weeks, Barb, great job! We've all had stupid and weird thoughts at the beginning so ramble as much as you need. We know what you're going through!

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users