19 replies to this topic

#1 neverland

neverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

Hi Everyone
I just joined this board today. Im having fun reading all the posts.. after countless attempts to quit, I noticed that my mental health has deteriorated over the years as well as physical health. Anxiety and depressed feeling in the morning is the hardest. Dont want to get out of bed. Feels crappy..Im really hopinh quitting smoking will help with my mood.

#2 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

Hello neverland. Quitting smoking will defined help with your mood in the long run. I felt my mental health getting affected by it which I did not like a single bit and I have quit. We are here for you. Read the newbie package and ask us if you have any questions. Congratulations on quitting smoking btw.
  • neverland likes this
Smoke Free Forever !!!

#3 neverland

neverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Thank you Sparkzzz!
  • Sparkzzz likes this

#4 G67

G67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-06
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

Welcome to the board neverland!
  • neverland likes this

#5 barry

barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-12
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

Welcome neverland. This is probably one of the only places where pretty much everyone understands what you're going through, has gone through it themselves, and can guide you through it. The only way out of it is to go through it!
  • Jillar and neverland like this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#6 beazel

beazel

Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Hi neverland & welcome!  Keep reading - learning about this addiction is a big help!

Have you stopped smoking yet?

• neverland likes this

2iijyuf.pngYoung Pharte     

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 loveshower.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess 

#7 neverland

neverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:28 PM

Beazel, I had half a cig this am. So Im only at 5 hours smoke free!

#8 neverland

neverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

I will keep that in mind, Barry. Only way out is through it.
  • barry likes this

#9 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,604 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

Welcome, neverland!  Lots of great people and resources, here.  You can do this!!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#10 Huntressd

Huntressd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-25
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

Hi Neverland,

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit!

Since you have decided to quit, it might be best to remove any and all smoking temptation. If you had half a cig today.... Did you get rid of the cigarettes, lighters, matches and ashtrays? Take smoking right off the table and out of your home will really help your quit at the get go.

This is a warm and welcoming place where supportive people help each other out and also gIve advice if and when possible. You mentioned some anxiety and depression as the impetus for your quit. I suggest checking in with your physician as well.

Make sure to read up in the newbie package! It has great info.
  • Lin-quitting and neverland like this
:groupwave:

I quit June 25, 2017.

#11 neverland

neverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:46 PM

Hi Huntressd.
I just threw out lighter and cigs this afternoon. Im hopeful yet..worried as I have had many failed attempts. But Im ready for a change. Thank you for your warm welcome.

#12 johnny5

johnny5

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-16
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

Welcome to QSMB, Neverland.

I found that my overall mood and physical health did improve gradually over time since quitting smoking.  One thing I really enjoyed was discovering unexpected benefits, which did include being in a better mood more often.

I had countless short quits too but the support and knowledge I gained here helped me finally quit for good.  It can help you quit for good too.

Stick close to this site.  Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your loved ones.

• neverland likes this

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. - Marvitta

I didn't quit smoking to live longer, I did it to live better. - jwg

event.png

2j3342d.jpg

#13 c9jane29

c9jane29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-14

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for coming and thanks for quitting!
Please please read about nicotine addiction and the changes it has made to the wiring in your brain. Smoking releases dopamine (the brains feel good chemical) so quitting will not magically make you feel better. In fact for a few days (weeks) you will probably fell crappy and foggy. Only until your brain realizes that it must produce and level out feelings on its own again. It also effects blood sugar levels, low blood sugar can cause a lot of symptoms (crabbiness, emotions) that can be mistaken as "cravings". That's the bad news.

The good news is it DOES work itself out! And you will (for once) finally feel like you, the REAL you; not just the addict you know as you, but you in your real form. It's wonderful to get a 2nd chance. You are worth it!!!
  • Lin-quitting, sslip and neverland like this
Nicotine free since 14-05-17
"http://www.imagecont...cost_pack=7.50"
The only way to quit smoking is to stop putting cigarettes in your mouth.
NOPE'SNOT. worth it.

#14 neverland

neverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

Thank you johnny5 and c9jane29..
I really want to quit this time. I know the nicotine withdrawl will be difficult but I can only reep the benefits when I go through the withdrawl. I hope I have permanently ruined my brain wiring.
  • c9jane29 likes this

#15 neverland

neverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

Thank you johnny5 and c9jane29..
I really want to quit this time. I know the nicotine withdrawl will be difficult but I can only reep the benefits when I go through the withdrawl. I hope I havent permanently ruined my brain wiring.

#16 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:35 PM

Hi Everyone
I just joined this board today. Im having fun reading all the posts.. after countless attempts to quit, I noticed that my mental health has deteriorated over the years as well as physical health. Anxiety and depressed feeling in the morning is the hardest. Dont want to get out of bed. Feels crappy..Im really hopinh quitting smoking will help with my mood.

Quitting smoking helps in every aspect of your life,, is like a tune up and oil change for the rest of your life. Welcome to QSMB neverland.

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#17 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,063 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:59 PM

Welcome neverland and congrats on taking back your life. We will help you as much as possible so post, vent, read, ask questions whatever you need. And please post an SOS if you think you may cave to a crave so we can try to help you past it :)
  • neverland likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#18 brand.new.ela

brand.new.ela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

Hi Neverland,

I think we have similar experience when mood is concerned and I hope I'll be able to help.

I've been suffering from depression for many years and I still take antidepressants. The month before I quit was a nightmare: I just went to work and slept, wasn't interested in anything and day after day was going through the motions. After I quit the change was spectacular. There are still bad days once in a while, but suddenly I have a lot of energy, manage to motivate myself, started exercising etc. Nicotine has a huge impact on dopamine pathways and for people like you and me it can ave serious impact on the mental health. Quitting isn't easy, especially in the first days, but the difference I see between myself from before the quit and the one after is unbelievable and worth it. Keep strong and stay quit!

• Jillar, Lin-quitting, sslip and 1 other like this

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#19 Barb_S

Barb_S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationMassachusetts USA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

Welcome to the forum.  Quitting is difficult  but we're all here to help. I find making my daily pledge to NOPE helps me get through the day. I frequently think about having 1 cigarette, but I just say NOPE, Not today, maybe tomorrow but not today.  So, good luck today,  everyone can make it thru 1 day, and so can you!

• Jillar and neverland like this

#20 snowywinter

snowywinter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-21
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:17 AM

Welcome and congrats on quitting. Can't add much as all the above have given you great advise. Glad you are joining us.
  • neverland likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, anxiety, quittoday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users