16 replies to this topic

#1 Cat_sneak

Cat_sneak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

Hi everyone!

I have been reading the board for a week now but thought I'd finally take the plunge and become a member. Firstly, I would just like to say thank you, what I have read on here so far has been extremely encouraging and has really helped!

I am now a few hours into Day 11 of my quit, which isn't really a New Years resolution, I have just decided to tie in a quit attempt with Dry January as drinking is a major trigger for me!

To give you a bit of history, I have been smoking since I was about 12, it started with a group of us buying a 10 pack of Embassy on Friday after school and then me and one other started doing this daily and meeting before and after school to smoke. Fast forward 18 years and I have been a 10-15 a day smoker ever since.

I have made some pretty unconvincing quit attempts at various points over the last 10 years, I've tried Champix, gum, nicotine patches, and cold turkey. I couldn't tell you how many times I have failed on day 8, I have no idea why, but that point of getting through 1 week of not smoking has always meant that I have given myself permission to have a cigarette as a reward, which of course has meant just going back to full on smoking!

So why have I decided to quit now? Well, lots of reasons... I am getting married on 18th August this year, so the extra money will come in handy, I turn 30 this year and I don't really want the habit to consume another decade of my life. The older I get, the more I worry about my health and the likelihood of getting a smoking related disease - my partner doesn't smoke, I'm starting to think it's irresponsible for our future together if I am rolling the cancer dice everyday?

I have had a bit of help with my quit so far, I started the year with flu that I am still getting over. I would normally smoke through any illness but I have used it as an excuse not to smoke. I have also been using patches as I really suffer from nicotine withdrawal - headaches, not sleeping, vivid dreams - so I am wearing a patch for 12 hours a day as I found trying to wear it for 24 hours meant I had the same side effects as withdrawal!

I am also using the smoke free app and seeing the timeline for health benefits creeping up! 

Anyway, wish me luck with the rest of Day 11, hopefully soon I will be able to stop clock watching!

• JustWright, barry, blzinpgh and 2 others like this

#2 tocevoD

tocevoD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationLiverpool, United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

You sound much the same as me Cat. I started at age 12 aswell. I am now 40 though. You are doing a brilliant thing by packing in. Keep on fighting them horrible urges and we can all bear this disgusting habit.

Great post aswell.

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2018

#3 brand.new.ela

brand.new.ela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Welcome, Cat! Congratulations on the upcoming marriage and the good decision you've taken. Smoking doesn't do any good and is just a waste of money, health, time and energy.

As you've already noticed, there's a lot to read and a lot of information. Post whenever you want, we all know this addiction and what it does to the brain.

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#4 beazel

beazel

Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

Hi Cat & welcome! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!

Quitting so young is such a great decision, especially for you, but also for your nonsmoking partner.

Keep reading here - that will help educate you on this addiction which is a big key to your quit.

We are here for you every step of the way!!!

2iijyuf.pngYoung Pharte     

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 loveshower.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess 

#5 Cat_sneak

Cat_sneak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

Thanks everyone. I think one of the things I've found most helpful so far is seeing people talk about it as an addiction akin to alcohol, drugs etc. That's a really hard thing for me to accept and to convey to people who have never been addicted to smoking. I'm starting to appreciate that this is a life long addiction that I'm going to have to make a really big commitment to leaving in the past.
  • Jillar, green meenie and sslip like this

#6 Huntressd

Huntressd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-25
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

Hi Cat and welcome.
Smoking is a difficult addiction to overcome. Read up in the newbie package to help get more of an understanding of it as an addiction. It really is.

I also used a flu/cold to start my quit cold turkey and I think it did kinda of help me through that first hellish week, but I also didn't have a quitting plan, had no idea what to expect outside of cravings, and for me there was more than cravings. I found the forum when I was hunting down other side effects of quitting, and am so glad I found this place. Everyone here is so supportive!
:groupwave:

I quit June 25, 2017.

#7 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,063 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

Welcome cat and congratulations on taking back your life :) 11 days quit is awesome and I'm sure your fiance is so happy that you decided to quit. You'll get great support here and a ton of education on this addiction, which by the way I hated saying that word too. Luckily though the longer we stay quit the easier it gets so be sure to post an SOS if you feel yourself caving to a crave and we will come running to talk you out of it :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#8 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

It sucks Cat but yes you must care for yourself and not reignite your addiction for life.
I fought the addiction label at the beginning and that could be why I smoked after 7 months.
I stopped caretaking myself I became lax in my attention to my quit, well ot to go on and on and on NOPE ia a must for ever and its not a big thing you just got to follow it every day
NOT ONE PUFF EVER, that's Just the way it is.

#9 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29
  • LocationMommy's Basement

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

Welcome Cat_sneak! Great decision to quit smoking for good as you're about to start your exciting new married life :) Congrats on that too by the way!

You are learning already about this addiction. Please do educate yourself as much as you can through the reading and video material available here. Understanding this addiction and how it will try to keep you enslaved is critical to being able to quit for good. Once you truly see smoking for what it is, you will be happy to be rid of it. And, you are correct in saying it will take a really big commitment from you to leave it in the past.

Personal commitment, education & support will take you to freedom :)

The process of quitting smoking doesn’t end with the last cigarette. It’s not quitting itself, the real key is staying quit!

#10 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

Hello Cat sneak and congratulations on quitting smoking. Let us know if you need anything!
Smoke Free Forever !!!

#11 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Welcome Cat. I hope you hang around and join into our discussions. I wouldn't be quit today without the information and support I've found here on this QSMB. I know it can help you too.

Congratulations on reaching 11 days. That is a fantastic start!

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#12 sslip

sslip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-09
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

Great job so far and congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I'm certain that the extra money will come in very handy indeed.

And don't give the flu any credit at all, it's all your own work :smile:

• Jillar likes this

#13 mattyBoy

mattyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-16-10
  • LocationEssex, UK

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

To give you a bit of history, I have been smoking since I was about 12, it started with a group of us buying a 10 pack of Embassy on Friday after school and then me and one other started doing this daily and meeting before and after school to smoke. Fast forward 18 years and I have been a 10-15 a day smoker ever since.

^^ this is exactly my first smoking experience, and probably true for lots of us. But in those early days no-one consciously thought "I am making the decision to become a full-time smoker". If someone had told me at that young age: by doing this you will become addicted and will not able to quit until (in my case) you're over 40, there's no way I would have experimented with those first cigarettes.

Welcome Cat and the best of luck - you've come to the right place and we're here to help  

#14 Leesifer

Leesifer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-19

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

I also started my quit when I was ill and off work.

This also happened to me 2 years ago when I was hospitalised with the flu and off work for over a month.  

Once I started going back to work and felt better was when I starting smoking again.  It was soooo stupid.  The first smoke I had after a month tasted absolutely awful.  It really surprised me how bad it actually tasted.  I suppose my tastebuds had come back to life somewhat after a month of not smoking.  Even worse, I had a couple more cigarettes even though I didn't enjoy them at all.  Then, of course, I was back on the smoking train.

This time, I am determined not to smoke again and remind myself now and again how disgusting they taste and that I almost had to force myself into smoking again last time.  What an idiot:)

Congratulations on quitting,  Cat_sneak and welcome to the board.

event.png

#15 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Welcome to QSMB Cat,  quitting  does not require luck, just decision and being able to honor your own and voluntary commitment. Make it happen!  It becomes easier once you read and learn the basics of Addiction and the process of a quit, start in the Newbie Pkg.

All the best your way !

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#16 barry

barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-12
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

Welcome Cat_sneak!  Good for you for making a great decision to quit now!  It only gets harder and your health suffers more, if you had waited!  

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#17 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

Welcome and congrats on your quit! Wedding ( or anything) sounds like a great reason to quit! :)

Quit date Thursday 24th October. 2017, 10.10am AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users