hangingonbyanope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-11
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

I just need to get this off my chest.  I will be at 1 month cigarette free tomorrow.  I normally sell myself short on a lot of accomplishments behind remaining overly humble, but this is not one of them.  I am very proud of myself for doing this quitting smoking thing!  It seemed damn near impossible.  I had a bunch of friends that were also smokers, but of all of them - it felt like I was the professional and they were a bunch of amateurs.  I was the one that needed a pack a day.  I was the one that would turn into the Hulk if I didn't get a smoke break occasionally.  I was the one holding up the kids in Disney because daddy needed to duck around a corner to light one up while others looked at me as though I was shooting up a rig of heroin.  It sucked, but you know what?  I needed it (or so I thought). My addiction seemed hopeless.  I would get jealous as the years went by and friend after friend quit from what seemed to be so easy for him/her.  They just put them down cold turkey with no chantix and no gum.  I'm not that person.  I guess maybe it's my addictive qualities (I am an addict/alcoholic 12 years sober).  Maybe it was the last crutch I had.  Who knows?  But I do know one thing, I was way worse off than my peers.  

Fast forward to January 10th 2018.  Here I am, one day removed from being cigarette free.  I am about to cut the Chantix loose, and haven't yet worked on the nicotine gum, but that will be a little down the road. It feels like a miracle, honestly!  I know I'm not supposed to talk about anything spiritual, but I have relied on that part as much as I have working the steps in being sober.  And it works.  I also really like the "NOPE" concept, and that has saved my butt more than any of you could imagine!  I tell people about this site and they all love that.  I don't know who came up with that, but I'd like to buy him/her lunch to say the least!

My cravings have been in/out over the last two weeks.  But from what I've been reading, that's normal.  Not out of the woods quite yet on this thing.  I'm having faith in what you all say that it gets better.  In fact, by keeping my mouth shut and my ears open and having a little faith, I'm doing exactly what I did when I was brand new in sobriety. 

Sorry for the novel.  Just giving my thoughts on month one of a very important accomplishment in my life - quitting smoking.  Extremely grateful, to say the least.  I don't know any of you, but I love all of you.  Here's to another day of not putting that poison in our lungs!

• oahusurfer82, Jillar, beazel and 10 others like this

#2 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29
  • LocationMommy's Basement

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Congrats! You should be proud. If you can quit smoking, there's no limitations on what else you can do in life :)

• AnnaMarie18 likes this

The process of quitting smoking doesn’t end with the last cigarette. It’s not quitting itself, the real key is staying quit!

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,063 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

​Congratulations hangingon, that first month is such a proud accomplishment. I hope you celebrate it in some way :) Can I caution you though not to quit the Chantix so soon? The reason why I say is that I used Chantiox for one month and stopped smoking for three of those weeks. So I quit taking it and almost instantly went back to smoking. I believe it's recommended to stay on it a minimum of three months so please consider doing that. It's worth it for that great quit you have going :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,604 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

Congratulations on one month smoke free!!  Good for you!!  Please, please do not introduce nicotine gum into your quit...your body has been nicotine free for a month!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#5 snowywinter

snowywinter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-21
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

What a great post and congrats on 1 month quit. Thank you for the update and I agree with Nancy that there is ni need for nicotine to reenter your body.

#6 AnnaMarie18

AnnaMarie18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

Well done a thousand times over! What an achievement considering all you've explained in your post. Congrats! You're an inspiration to all of those who truly don't believe they can do it - yet!

:)
  • snowywinter likes this

#7 beazel

beazel

Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

Be proud!!!! And come back and talk about it every time you feel it....we love hearing about it!!!!!!

2iijyuf.pngYoung Pharte     

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 loveshower.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess 

#8 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

Congratulations hanginon. You have to feel proud about your accomplishments. It’s a big deal. We know it.
Smoke Free Forever !!!

#9 hangingonbyanope

hangingonbyanope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-11
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

Thanks everybody! 

For clarity, I stopped smoking but haven't quit chewing the gum yet.  I guess I'm kind of cheating, but whatever.  The main thing to me was quitting the cigarettes and act of smoking.  I do plan on quitting the gum in the near future. 

Thanks for the heads up on Chantix.  I didn't know that about taking it for 3 months after.  Guess I overlooked that part.  Whatever I'm doing now is working, and it's like I don't want to mess with it (including the gum part).

• marciem, Jillar and snowywinter like this

#10 snowywinter

snowywinter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-21
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

Sorry I misunderstood and thought you were starting the gum. Carry on. You are doing great.

#11 Huntressd

Huntressd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-25
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:50 PM

Welcome hangingonbyanope!

This is a great place to be! Congrats on your quit and your one month. It is important to share and celebrate these milestones here - few never smokers or non addicts can really understand how important these markers are to those that have quit.

Fighting addiction is really a never ending battle in my opinion. Making the decision to quit is important. Following it up on daily basis is incredibly important. Sticking to that decision can be hard but that's why joining a place like this can help a lot in ways of support. But we are also hear to celebrate the accomplishment of our quits....way to go!
:groupwave:

I quit June 25, 2017.

#12 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:35 AM

Great post hangingon. It's great to hear from quitters that are really appreciating all the good that quitting is bringing into their lives. Having one months in is huge and I'm glad you are celebrating it.

I have found a joy in my life in the discipline of quitting (a long way from my beginning where I didn't believe it was possible for someone as addicted as I was to succeed at this). It has led me to finding more happiness/joy in other areas of my life that require that bit of discipline that I didn't have before (procrastinating, regular exercising, chores, interpersonal relationships :smile: ). You post sounds like you will also end up finding the joy in quitting that can be found. Hang tough. Live NOPE. It's worth it.

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#13 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,604 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:46 AM

Thanks everybody! 

For clarity, I stopped smoking but haven't quit chewing the gum yet.  I guess I'm kind of cheating, but whatever.  The main thing to me was quitting the cigarettes and act of smoking.  I do plan on quitting the gum in the near future. 

Thanks for the heads up on Chantix.  I didn't know that about taking it for 3 months after.  Guess I overlooked that part.  Whatever I'm doing now is working, and it's like I don't want to mess with it (including the gum part).

Sorry, I never heard of someone taking Chantix and chewing nicotine gum at the same time.  I don't understand how that would work, but if it works for you, that is great!!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#14 Andoo

Andoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-04
  • LocationBangkok, Thailand.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:09 AM

Well am 3 weeks behind you in being free of cigarettes. Am also using Champix and feeling good for it.

Like you I was always extremely jealous when my friends of colleagues quit smoking, some would naturally relapse and return to smoking and for some reason I felt better.  Perhaps it's being a part of something such as a dying breed........literally.

Anyway well done on the first month, long may it continue.

• neverland likes this

#15 neverland

neverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:49 PM

I cant wait to get to one month mark. Congratulations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users