• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GearSkank

GearSkank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

I've been struggling with anxiety for almost a year. I just had to quit vaping/smoking cold turkey last night since I don't have any money. I'm really worried about the anxiety that the withdrawals will have. I've been looking it up and everyone says anxiety and depression can get really bad. I've been trying so hard to be productive and functioning but I'm scared this might set me back. Any advice?

#2 Kazza

Kazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-01
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum, this is without doubt the best decision you have ever made.

Some people have struggled with anxiety at the start of the quit, but not all.

In my experience of quitting, you really have to want to stop more than you want to smoke - this is an addiction and once you have read on here all the information relating this will really help you.

Please stick close to here, read as much as you can and always post when you need help or just to rant

Be strong - you are in the best place to help you stop

• Rozuki likes this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2016

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,256 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

Welcome Gearskank and congrats on quitting. Since you've been struggling with anxiety for a year maybe it's time to see your dr. They can maybe put you on something to help. Quitting can cause anxiety or depression to get worse for a bit so there is no reason for you to suffer so bad. See your dr :)

• Rozuki likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 dash

dash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Hi

It's true that your anxiety will get worse in the initial days when you quit. If you take any medication right now, it also increases the chance of anxiety as your brain is used to the combination of medication + nicotine. However, this is only for the best, as nicotine does not reduce anxiety at all, but increases it.

There ways to reduce anxiety during this time, which includes exercising, meditation, avoiding trigger situations for a while, over the counter medications, deep breathing etc.

Hope you go through this successfully

• Jillar and Lin-quitting like this

Quit Date: 12/31/2017

#5 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,544 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

I've been struggling with anxiety for almost a year. I just had to quit vaping/smoking cold turkey last night since I don't have any money. I'm really worried about the anxiety that the withdrawals will have. I've been looking it up and everyone says anxiety and depression can get really bad. I've been trying so hard to be productive and functioning but I'm scared this might set me back. Any advice?

Deep breaths have been proven to help tremendously with quitting anxiety, urges to smoke, quitting tantrums and many other collateral quitting symptoms. You are experiencing the pre-quit fears... Quit, commit  and after a few days you will experience overall improvement. 

• Lin-quitting likes this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#6 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

I would also suggest avoiding caffeine. It makes you restless.
Smoke Free Forever !!!

#7 Jamie g

Jamie g

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

Having had a lot of family experience with this find a profesional and dont feel like there is anything to be embarassed about. Its as normal as a bad back. Be kind to yourself and until you have got hold of your anxiousness dont put yourself in a position to make you feel worse. NO PRESSURE. In my very humble opinion mental health overrides physical health.
  • Huntressd likes this

#8 Huntressd

Huntressd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-25
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:17 AM

Hi gearskank,

I agree with Jamie - a doctors visit would not be a miss. Your mental health is quite important. Any help with anxiety or dealing with anxiety could be beneficial.

It's always a good idea to get support, and whether some medication or therapy is suggested, it could be really helpful especially at the start of a quit.

I really needed the support of this group when I first joined and I know people are here for me if ever I need them. i really like knowing if I have to SOS ( haven't had to yet) that some really great people will be here to help me keep my quit.
  • Jillar and Ladyhope like this
:groupwave:

I quit June 25, 2017.

#9 brand.new.ela

brand.new.ela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:12 PM

Hi Gearskank, do you get help and treatment for your anxiety? Especially in the first days of the quit it might get stronger so it's best to tackle it beforehand. The community here is very supportive but we are not doctors.

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, smoking, vaping, withdrawals, quitting cold turkey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users