Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

Has been a long day and a long day coming.
  • johnny5, AnnaMarie18 and blzinpgh like this

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,256 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Welcome fab, congratulations on day 1. Stick close, read, post, vent if you need too and celebrate the gift you're giving to yourself by quitting :)
  • Fab likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 barry

barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-12
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

Welcome Fab!  You've made the best decision for your health you could possibly make!

First I would recommend learning as much as you can about your addiction.  Read the Newbie package at https://www.quitsmok...newbie-package/

I would also recommend taking the free course (they call it a course, but there's no grades or tests!) at:

www.quitsmokingonline.com

And stay close to the QSMB!  Lots of people and resources here to get you through it!

• johnny5, Rozuki and Fab like this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#4 Rozuki

Rozuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-10
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

Hi and welcome, Fab!  :grin: Read all you can here (esp the links Barry posted above!) and join in to give and get support on your quit journey!

Repeat after me: ONE DAY AT A TIME!  :wink:

• Fab likes this

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

2hrfi0z_th.jpg tenor.gif

30ksjlf.gif

Don't romance the cigarette. It's all a "pack of lies". ~ IQuit88

#5 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Welcome Fab. Yeah, life very well might suck for a while. Take it an hour at a time. Find ways to distract yourself from your thoughts of smoking. Read everything on here you can find time for, there is lots of information and motivation and tips to help you. Make it through day 1 then congratulate yourself and get going on day 2.

Remind yourself that your withdrawal symptoms will be temporary - your Quit will last the rest of your life. And remind yourself that all the many people on this board all had to go through a day 1. Then a day 2. And a week 5. We all made it through those rough early days and you can too! 

• Jillar likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#6 AnnaMarie18

AnnaMarie18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:32 AM

Well done on making it through day 1 fab, you should be very proud! I did it too! We are warriors and we can do this!! Isn't this board wonderful :))

Anna-Marie
  • johnny5, Jillar and Fab like this

#7 G67

G67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-06
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

Welcome to the board Fab!
  • Fab likes this

#8 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,613 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:39 AM

One day at a time is how it gets done!  Welcome, and congratulations on your decision to quit!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#9 johnny5

johnny5

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,792 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-16
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:39 AM

Welcome to QSMB, Fab.  Keep up the great work.  A smoke free life is a great thing.

• Fab likes this

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. - Marvitta

I didn't quit smoking to live longer, I did it to live better. - jwg

event.png

2j3342d.jpg

#10 Fab

Fab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:33 AM

Thankyou all!
I'm starting to read through some of the information in the links. Has helped heaps.
It's day 2 for me. Truth - finding it very difficult to think about anything else.
Got up early, had my coffee without a cig, had some breakfast which I don't often do, jumped onto the QSMB, spent some time in the garden and cut the lawn then did some laps in the pool for the first time in about a year.
It's a hot day in Brisbane today and it's now midday. I'm on holidays, but not sure what to do next.

#11 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,256 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:45 AM

Hang in there fab, I too thought about cigs all day every day for months, it sucked! But just wait until that one morning you wake up in the best mood you've been in in years and that is the first thing on your mind instead of cigarettes or smoking. It's such a great feeling and I promise you that as long as you stay the course and hold on to that rope you too will get there :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#12 Fab

Fab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:54 AM

Well done on making it through day 1 fab, you should be very proud! I did it too! We are warriors and we can do this!! Isn't this board wonderful :))

Anna-Marie

#13 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:55 AM

Perfectly normal, Fab. We want what we can't have, which is smoking for you now. I can tell you all day and over and over again that it is only temporary and that it will get better and.....but that doesn't help much, does it?

So: distractions. You just have to get through these first few hours and days and weeks and then it truly won't be so hard. Exercise. Walking. Dancing. Cleaning (closets). (or scrub toilets - that should get your mind off of smoking). :mrgreen: Binging TV series. Sleeping. Eating treats. I seriously did a thing where (this was in my first 2 weeks) when the cravings got too bad I went outside and walked around the perimeter of my house 3 times. Just 3 times and just around the outside of the house. Something about how silly a thing it was to be doing, along with the physicality of it.....it got me through my rough patches. Can you think of something totally ridiculous to do, to fill 3-5 minutes, to get your thoughts away from wanting to smoke, that you can do through the day when you need to?

You can be a quitting Ninja-warrior too. Will that help mentally? Be a quitting warrior, better than all those people who give up in their first few days. You are better, stronger than that. You will win this battle.

• blzinpgh likes this

30ksjlf.jpg

#14 Fab

Fab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:57 AM

Well done!
I agree. The board is great.

#15 Fab

Fab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:01 AM

Perfectly normal, Fab. We want what we can't have, which is smoking for you now. I can tell you all day and over and over again that it is only temporary and that it will get better and.....but that doesn't help much, does it?

So: distractions. You just have to get through these first few hours and days and weeks and then it truly won't be so hard. Exercise. Walking. Dancing. Cleaning (closets). (or scrub toilets - that should get your mind off of smoking). :mrgreen: Binging TV series. Sleeping. Eating treats. I seriously did a thing where (this was in my first 2 weeks) when the cravings got too bad I went outside and walked around the perimeter of my house 3 times. Just 3 times and just around the outside of the house. Something about how silly a thing it was to be doing, along with the physicality of it.....it got me through my rough patches. Can you think of something totally ridiculous to do, to fill 3-5 minutes, to get your thoughts away from wanting to smoke, that you can do through the day when you need to?

You can be a quitting Ninja-warrior too. Will that help mentally? Be a quitting warrior, better than all those people who give up in their first few days. You are better, stronger than that. You will win this battle.

#16 Fab

Fab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:03 AM

Thanks Lin

#17 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:29 AM

, spent some time in the garden and cut the lawn then did some laps in the pool for the first time in about a year.
It's a hot day in Brisbane today and it's now midday. I'm on holidays, but not sure what to do next.

I feel I must add here: that I am trying to stay warm in my 3-layers of snuggly clothes, while it is 14 degrees outside, with a windchill of -3. I am gonna have to water the chickens in the morning and I hate the very thought. Enjoy your pool-time Fab. Imagine my jealousy. :grin:

30ksjlf.jpg

#18 Ladyhope

Ladyhope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-25
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:42 AM

Congrats, Fab! Hang in there and it WILL get easier.
N.O.P.E (Not One Puff Ever) !

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

#19 Fab

Fab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:26 AM

Cheers Ladyhope! 👍
Can't wait for that day.