AnnaMarie18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

Hi all!

It's almost the end of day 2 (I'm in the U.K. So nearly bedtime!)

Today has been awful. I've been angry, annoyed, emotional, frustrated and more! I don't feel like amoking, it keeps entering my head during triggers, like after I've eaten, or with a cup of tea etc, but I've pushed those thoughts away pretty quickly and I've definitely not thought 'I really want a cigarette' ... BUT I am furious!! I did a workout at home earlier in the hope I could release some frustration but as the evening has worn on, I am just feeling completely low.

Why is this? Is it normal? Even though I don't want to smoke? It's not like I'm battling with myself about stopping smoking, I am committed! But I feel horrible.

Anyone else feeling the same? :((

#22 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

Those feelings are completely normal Anna, and unfortunately the only way past them is to go through them. Some days I just went to bed! We have a great letter to loved ones (and co workers) in the newbie package that you can tailor to fit your needs. But usually just telling everyone you quit will be explanation enough. Go easy on yourself, let your body dictate what it needs and you will get through it, I promise :)

• AnnaMarie18 likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#23 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

What Jillar said. :smile: Yep, all your symptoms are completely normal and ones that many of us experience. The good news is that they are temporary, and they will not kill you. You will have many ups and downs in the next days and weeks. Remind yourself that just because today was awful doesn't necessarily mean that tomorrow will be too. Tomorrow likely will be better! Ride through the tough times, find distractions for them. We promise you things will get better - but only if you don't smoke!

You can do this AnnaMarie!

• Jillar, green meenie and AnnaMarie18 like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#24 AnnaMarie18

AnnaMarie18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:22 PM

Thank you Jillar and Lin 😁 I will NOT smoke I just hope to feel better tomorrow because I'm back to work tomorrow! I'll do a bit more reading on here before I go to sleep, and will hope that day 3 is a little kinder to me!

Thanks so much for your encouragement, I'm happy to hear that it's normal and I'm not going insane.

I will go and pledge NOPE for tomorrow now :) xxx
  • Jillar and Lin-quitting like this

#25 Fab

Fab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:41 AM

Hi Anna,
Similar day had by me!
Hold strongπŸ‘
Be prepared for the curve balls on your first day back at work.
Have a great day!
Fab
  • AnnaMarie18 likes this

#26 JustWright

JustWright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

Anna-
Welcome and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. You won’t regret it! Stick close to this board. We are all here to help each other!
  • AnnaMarie18 likes this

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#27 AnnaMarie18

AnnaMarie18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

Hi everyone!!

So, it's the evening of day 3 and I was back at work today! I was so worried as I usually take a lot of smoke breaks at work and a lot of my colleagues smoke too. But I told them I was on dat 3 of my quit and everyone was supportive.

I must say i am extremely irritable. I'm sure I'm annoying everyone, and everyone is annoying me!

I am very proud of nearly reaching 3 days. I am going to have an early night tonight as I didn't sleep well last night.

Excited that day 4 is just around the corner, and that hopefully I'm through the worst of it.

NOPE!

Anna
  • Jillar, Lin-quitting and Fab like this

#28 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

Good job Anna and congrats on being done with day 3! Just go with the irritability as it doesn't last forever so why fight it, at least that's what I did. I'm glad work wasn't as bad as you had anticipated :) Hopefully you'll sleep better tonight but if not I used an OTC sleep aid a couple nights a week just to help get my sleep timer back to normal. I found that if I took just one pill early in the evening I didn't wake up groggy. You might consider that...............
  • AnnaMarie18 likes this

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#29 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29
  • LocationMommy's Basement

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:50 PM

Great Job AM18! You are doing great and yes, the irritability is VERY common. Won't last forever though so just try some deep breathing when you feel you're gonna go crazy on someone. And yes, sleep is your friend. A welcome break from the intensity of those first few days :)

• AnnaMarie18 likes this

The process of quitting smoking doesn’t end with the last cigarette. It’s not quitting itself, the real key is staying quit!

#30 AnnaMarie18

AnnaMarie18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

The encouragement I've received is just mind blowing!!

Thanks so so much - I could not be without the support right now!!

I'm off to sleep now, excited for the challenge of tomorrow. I have surprised myself - it's amazing what personal stubbornness along with encouragement from others can achieve!

Goodnight all!

Anna x
  • Jillar, Barb_S and Fab like this

#31 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Good job and congratulations on day 3. Use your stubbornness now for day 4. Your hours and days now in your quit might seem to have stopped and not be moving at all.....but they are. You are building a lifetime sticky quit one day at a time.

• AnnaMarie18 likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#32 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

I have this good feeling that come 2019 new year you will be here celebrating your first year quit AnnaMarie, There is something about your enthusiasm and commitment that shines a star on you.  Pledge everyday and hang on girl, there comes a ride and a journey !

• Jillar and AnnaMarie18 like this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#33 AnnaMarie18

AnnaMarie18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

Hi All,

Long day today, at work mostly - which kept my mind off my quit. I'm not as irritable as yesterday but I am super focussed on keeping myself busy as boredom is not my friend at the moment!

I can't believe I'm now 4 days smoke free...this is the longest I've ever managed can you believe. I'm starting to cough a lot now (I didn't have a cough when I smoked) and I'm hoping that its just my chest clearing itself. 

Day 5 tomorrow!!  :grin:  Thanks again for all the support. If I was doing this alone I know I wouldn't have gotten this far! 

Anna-Marie

• d2e8b8 likes this

#34 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

You're doing so good Anna :) drink lots of water to help your lungs clear that gunk out. I wouldn't have gotten this far along without this place either :)

1zzrf54.jpg

#35 AnnaMarie18

AnnaMarie18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

Hi Everyone,

So I slept OK last night but had some very strange dreams that have made me feel a bit uneasy and emotioanl this morning. Added to that, I am irritable and have a horrible sore throat - why do I have a sore throat?! I feel like i've smoked 40 in a row which of course I have not! 

It's day 5 and my positive attitude is waining. I will NOT smoke but I do feel all over the place today. I am working from home so that I don't have to face anyone or pretend that I'm fine when I'm not, I will end up snapping at someone and thats definitely not going to help! 

Hopefuly today goes quickly! I have a friend coming to stay this weekend so that I keep busy and distracted from my quit.

Have a great day all! 

Anna-Marie x

• d2e8b8 likes this

#36 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

Hi Anna, glad you slept better last night. Hopefully your sore throat is just a recovery symptom and you're not catching a cold since its cold and flu season. You're doing great with your quit, glad you have a friend to keep you occupied this weekend :) Rest up, tea for your throat or honey and I hope you have a great weekend :)
  • AnnaMarie18 likes this

1zzrf54.jpg

#37 brand.new.ela

brand.new.ela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Hi Anna, your body is cleaning now getting rid of all the junk the cigarettes left. But you’re doing fantastic. You’re in the difficult moment when both your body and mind try to play games and are far from being your friends. Think about like a road home. You’re far, it’s dark but you need to keep on walking, in the storm, in the rain to get there, otherwise you’ll stay in the wilderness. One step at a time, keep on walking. So proud of you.
  • Jillar and AnnaMarie18 like this

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#38 AnnaMarie18

AnnaMarie18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

Hi Jillar and Ela 😁

Thanks for your replies - I am actually doing a lot better today! I'm at Day 6 and I slept well last night! I have a sore throat and woke up in a funky mood but as the day has worn on I'm actually doing just fine! I haven't thought too much about smoking today and I have a friend who has come to stay so we are out in the fresh air walking the dogs and going to go out for dinner later. I am feeling quite positive and cannot believe that tomorrow is the end of hell week!!

Very proud of myself right now. But I won't take it for granted. This week has been really difficult and i never want to repeat it!

I'm a little anxious as tonight is my first night out since I quit, I have decided not to drink alcohol for a few months until I am confident that I can handle a drink and not have an urge to smoke - hopefully having the company of a good friend and eating some tasty food will set me up for a good day tomorrow 😁

My friend said she cannot actually believe that I'm not smoking.
I guess she had to see it to believe it!! Makes me feel even prouder of myself 😁

I hope you both have a lovely weekend! X
  • Jillar and d2e8b8 like this

#39 d2e8b8

d2e8b8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-17
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

AnnaMarie, you're doing so well and should be proud.  Awesome!

I too avoided alcohol for a few months because the quit was more precious to me than one evening of alcohol.  If you read this forum, you'll notice that alcohol has lost many folks their quits - it just impairs our ability to think clearly and be decisive.

You're also right not to take it for granted.  This demon tries all kinds of ways to get back - completed one week, let's celebrate with a smoke, blah blah.  Stay vigilant and guard your precious quit.  You're doing great :).

• green meenie and AnnaMarie18 like this

#40 Jamie g

Jamie g

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»