• quitdate:
    2014-12-01
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

Christmas donkey
By Max Lucado
Published December 21, 2017
FoxNews.com
Christmas bespeaks of Nativity. And Nativity gives occasion to Nativity plays. No one knows who first came up with the idea of
dramatizing the birth of Jesus, but the first script has inspired innumerable others.
Though each Nativity play has its own unique wrinkle, they all have some common features: angels with chiffon wings and wise
men and their gifts from afar. A weary innkeeper will turn Mary away. A wide-eyed Joseph will bunch the manger’s hay. And Mary,
weary and sweet, will say “I think today.”
Beneath a suspended star a baby will be born, the angels will sing, the wise men will kneel and children of all ages will go home
telling their parents that next year they want a part in the Nativity play. Little boys want to be Joseph. Little girls want to be Mary.
Some want to wear the angel wings or bear gifts from a distant land. A few might even offer to be the hard-hearted Herod or the
hassled innkeeper.
But no one, ever, as far as I know, volunteers to be the donkey. Which is odd, actually, for what greater honor could exist than to do
what the donkey did? He carried Jesus. I know, Joseph is better looking and Mary is quite stunning. Wise men get the cool hats and
angels have the hallelujahs. And the donkey? He just stands to the side and chews on hay.
But look at him. Do you not see contentment in those big, brown eyes? A look of satisfaction on his face? He just delivered history’s
greatest gift! Before Santa had a sleigh or UPS had trucks, God had a donkey. Thanks in no small part to him, the choir can sing
“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given.”
I know, I know. We’d rather be Joseph, rugged and bearded. We’d rather be Mary, faithful, beautiful and immaculate.
But somebody needs to be the donkey. I’m thinking a donkey at Christmas is a good thing to be.
The Christmas donkey did his work. He delivered Jesus so Jesus could be delivered.
He plodded. He didn’t gallop or giddy-up. He did what donkeys do. He steadily stepped in the direction the master directed.
And, upon arrival, he stepped to the side. He demanded no recognition, expected no compensation. He isn’t even mentioned in the
Bible.
He was happy to do his job and let Jesus have all the attention.
Perhaps we could learn a lesson from the Christmas donkey. There is always a place in the Nativity, God’s Nativity story, for the
person who will plod along expecting no applause, bear up under the weight of the long haul, and carry the one who will carry us all.
So here’s to the donkeys of the story. May your ride be faithful and your rest be fruitful. And we will do our best to follow your
example.

• Frank, marciem, MissyCat and 8 others like this

event.png2j3342d.jpg                       

#2 snowywinter

snowywinter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-21
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

wesome just awesome. Loved this

#3 snowywinter

snowywinter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-21
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

Awesome just awesome. Loved this
  • eeyore likes this

#4 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

Love it, Eeyore!  Really good lesson.  An early morning smile from me!!

You earned your halo my friend :)  and your wings too!!  I don't think they're chiffon, but maybe :D :)

GrimyExaltedHyena-max-1mb.gif

• eeyore likes this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#5 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for sharing eeyore, I kinda like this story too :)
  • eeyore likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#6 beazel

beazel

Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

Love this story....thank you eeyore!

• eeyore likes this

2iijyuf.pngYoung Pharte     

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 loveshower.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess 

#7 Jennet

Jennet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-20
  • LocationOut there somewhere in the UK

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

Simply brilliant Eeyore....   

• eeyore likes this

Older than dust.......    :P 

Stopped smoking for 2nd time 20th Dec 2017 @ 17:45pm after putting out my last fag!   Was  9mths, 2wks, 5days, 1hr and 31 minutes previously, and had saved £3,085 approximately....   Crikey... what did I do with all that money....   All I know is that I spent it!!

th_penguins.gif   th_tiny.jpg th_Nope.gif th_happydancenun.gif

30ksjlf.jpg        th_sisyphus.gif     Not One Puff Ever again.....

Cigarettes were never the anchors in our lives that hold us steady....  they were the ropes that kept us tied to the dock while life sailed by! - jwg

It is not because you quit...it is because you smoked.  It will pass! -  Nancy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users