Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

It's a chosen tradition in the last 10 years since I know a lady that makes delicious tamales and gives them to us each year.

Ok that makes more sense lol. I personally don't care for tamales, the ones don't like masa or corn tortillas but I like corn chips ALOT  :laughbounce: 

Ps. my spacebar works just fine if I quote?! So weird.......

• avian3 likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#23 Jennet

Jennet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-20
  • LocationOut there somewhere in the UK

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

Wow.....think

​I will have to look up tamales recipies and give it a go....   lots of time on my hands at present, even if not a lot of energy...   They look absolutely scrumdiddlydumptious!!

Older than dust.......    :P 

Stopped smoking for 2nd time 20th Dec 2017 @ 17:45pm after putting out my last fag!   Was  9mths, 2wks, 5days, 1hr and 31 minutes previously, and had saved £3,085 approximately....   Crikey... what did I do with all that money....   All I know is that I spent it!!

th_penguins.gif   th_tiny.jpg th_Nope.gif th_happydancenun.gif

30ksjlf.jpg        th_sisyphus.gif     Not One Puff Ever again.....

Cigarettes were never the anchors in our lives that hold us steady....  they were the ropes that kept us tied to the dock while life sailed by! - jwg

It is not because you quit...it is because you smoked.  It will pass! -  Nancy

#24 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

My wife makes super Green chili for me, not Hot just full of flavor.
she use the fresh green tomatillos, Fire roasted New Mexico Jalapeno, onion not sure all the rest but it is sooooo good
o90flw.jpg

It will clear your sinuses and water your eyes while it is cooking
  • avian3 likes this

#25 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

Our past traditional Xmas dinner was pure white bread :D :D.... American style Prime Rib or Ham.  This year I'm cooking half-orders of both, and our newer American traditions include side dishes of Spam Musubi (sushi without fish?) from the Japanese via Hawaii extension and lumpia (and I'm hoping for some pancet) from the Filipino extension to our family.  Some Salvadoranean Papoosas as a gift, and Sweet Tamales for dessert from friends/likefamily.

Its the American way :)  :) .

p.s. Faith... I dunno if fag or faggot have taken on the same meaning they have in American English, or if you just object to those words for "cigarette" on general principles... but saying them in the US is akin to using the *n word in other reference, :(  :(  .  But we know what a UK poster means when they use "fag", so we don't take offense, here at QSMB

• Frank, Jillar and Jennet like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#26 Jennet

Jennet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-20
  • LocationOut there somewhere in the UK

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

Marciem....

If I send my dog over to yous... d'ya think you could teach her to do what your kitty does??   :wink: 

• Jillar likes this

Older than dust.......    :P 

Stopped smoking for 2nd time 20th Dec 2017 @ 17:45pm after putting out my last fag!   Was  9mths, 2wks, 5days, 1hr and 31 minutes previously, and had saved £3,085 approximately....   Crikey... what did I do with all that money....   All I know is that I spent it!!

th_penguins.gif   th_tiny.jpg th_Nope.gif th_happydancenun.gif

30ksjlf.jpg        th_sisyphus.gif     Not One Puff Ever again.....

Cigarettes were never the anchors in our lives that hold us steady....  they were the ropes that kept us tied to the dock while life sailed by! - jwg

It is not because you quit...it is because you smoked.  It will pass! -  Nancy

#27 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

Piece of Cake Jannet, just find some Raccoon video and play it over and over and over with a dog treat setting on the TV. when your dog start to set up to get the treat help it hold its paws up and give it a treat it could take a couple days but they will get it. :roll:

#28 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

Our past traditional Xmas dinner was pure white bread :D :D.... American style Prime Rib or Ham. This year I'm cooking half-orders of both, and our newer American traditions include side dishes of Spam Musubi (sushi without fish?) from the Japanese via Hawaii extension and lumpia (and I'm hoping for some pancet) from the Filipino extension to our family. Some Salvadoranean Papoosas as a gift, and Sweet Tamales for dessert from friends/likefamily.

Its the American way :) :) .

p.s. Faith... I dunno if fag or faggot have taken on the same meaning they have in American English, or if you just object to those words for "cigarette" on general principles... but saying them in the US is akin to using the *n word in other reference, :( :( . But we know what a UK poster means when they use "fag", so we don't take offense, here at QSMB

In the UK fag is a derogatory term but a lot of people use it also as another word for cigarette in a non offensive way.

#29 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

Sorry, I had to delete, as is my my prerogative, as I might have upset someone. 

To replace my previous statement I will post one of my Xmas favs.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#30 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

I don't eat meat so Xmas dinner for me is usually just the trimmings.

It's really interesting to see what everyone eats around the world.

#31 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

Faith yes just being nosey,  do you eat the fake meats  or is it the thought of eating flesh ?

I just wondered why eat some thing that looks and tastes like Beef, Ham or turkey if you don't want to eat meat?

#32 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Faith yes just being nosey, do you eat the fake meats or is it the thought of eating flesh ?
I just wondered why eat some thing that looks and tastes like Beef, Ham or turkey if you don't want to eat meat?

No I don't eat fake meat. I don't eat meat because I don't like an animal being killed for food. Nobody else in my family is vegetarian and I cook meat for anyone that eats it in my own kitchen.

#33 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

Cool Girl,  Totally understand what you are saying ! 

Thank you

• Faith likes this

#34 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:26 PM

Our past traditional Xmas dinner was pure white bread :D :D.... American style Prime Rib or Ham.  This year I'm cooking half-orders of both, and our newer American traditions include side dishes of Spam Musubi (sushi without fish?) from the Japanese via Hawaii extension and lumpia (and I'm hoping for some pancet) from the Filipino extension to our family.  Some Salvadoranean Papoosas as a gift, and Sweet Tamales for dessert from friends/likefamily.

Its the American way :)  :) .

p.s. Faith... I dunno if fag or faggot have taken on the same meaning they have in American English, or if you just object to those words for "cigarette" on general principles... but saying them in the US is akin to using the *n word in other reference, :(  :(  .  But we know what a UK poster means when they use "fag", so we don't take offense, here at QSMB

Do you actually use Spam? I love lumpia! 

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#35 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:33 PM

Spam and pineapple shishkabobs are the Bomb,  Coat the pineapple in honey with  chili powder sprinkled to taste, and make the kabob.  sooo good

I have to try Spam and Wasabi,  SOUNDS GREAT! 

Maybe some Pepper jack or Sharp Cheddar with it?

But then again the Goat Queso  would be OOOOOOH to

• avian3 and marciem like this

#36 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

Do you actually use Spam? I love lumpia! 

I don't make them.... but yes, absolutely.  Spam is the filet mignon of the islands :)  .  Son and his wife learned while living there, which is where they met.

Spam-Musubi4.jpg

Lumpia is/are great, Son-in-sortalaw makes them and I usually say "Oh that's way too much, we'll never eat them all..." and then proceed to do in almost the whole bunch myself :P  :P  .... they're sooo gooooood..  Pancit is delicious also, kind of a filipino chow mein.  

• avian3 likes this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png

Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#37 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

I don't make them.... but yes, absolutely.  Spam is the filet mignon of the islands :)  .  Son and his wife learned while living there, which is where they met.

Spam-Musubi4.jpg

Lumpia is/are great, Son-in-sortalaw makes them and I usually say "Oh that's way too much, we'll never eat them all..." and then proceed to do in almost the whole bunch myself :P  :P  .... they're sooo gooooood..  Pancit is delicious also, kind of a filipino chow mein.  

I have had that too and other Filipino food. Before I retired, our pots lucks were a variety of foods from every culture and ethnicity. That is something I miss.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#38 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

I like that, something I can doing sticky rice, spam seared both sides, belt of sea weed, not sure what the bird seed and sticks are?

Looks like something new for NEW YEARS !

• marciem likes this

#39 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

I like that, something I can doing sticky rice, spam seared both sides, belt of sea weed, not sure what the bird seed and sticks are?

Looks like something new for NEW YEARS !

I don't know what that is either.  There are as many ways of making it as there are people who make it... some make a sammich with rice on both sides of the spam, some double the spam, some do plain and simple without garnish, some use wasabi.

I think a sliver of pineapple between the rice and spam, tucked into the rice, would be a nice surprise bite :)  .

(I'm known for my "surprise burgers", two thinnish patties crimped together, with mushroom slices and cheese in the middle... juicy and yummmm.  Lots of garlic in the burger patties... teriyaki sauce in there if you like it... other surprises chef's choice :)  )

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png

#40 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

Guess I am a late Bloomer during the Holidays,  The days before are slow,  seem to be all up hill and not until you reach the summit do you see the rewards, well I reach the summit tomorrow

So close, getting caught up in the festivities, Have 15 lbs of Venison and 15 lbs Pork loin defrosting, the wife is going to pick up 4 of the Costco rotisserie Chickens and Tomorrow about Noon it all starts !

All four of the stove burners with huge pots simmering, two crock pots crocking and a pressure cooker sssst sssst   sssting.   The corn husks will be soaking and the Masa setting out growing and becoming room temperature.  In an hour or so our next door neighbor and wife  will come knock on the door,  shes a non-cooker but loves to watch a kitchen at work.  Soon Oso from across the street will show up with a twelve pack of beer and he Bill and I will retreat to my Patio where to demonstrate my new BBQ smoker I’ll throw on some lean Burger Patties and hot links.  Soon the bells will be ringing, the house will fill with chat and laughter, pool table will get uncoverd and the house will be a home warm and full.

Now it won’t take long before the Boys and our BS start to get loud and rowdy round the pool table, the kids playing the video games with their gaming slang and of course my mom, and a couple of the elder woman playing the slot machine and their WoooHooos for it to get to loud and rambunkous for the rest. They will head to the safety of the Family room,  turn the stereo on and point the speakers out towards the game room to muffle us and proceed to do whatever 10 or so 18 to 60 year old woman do when they congregate.

You know its kinda weird ?  when we are little Fun and mischief come to us naturally with out effort in fact I can remember when I found me all by its self.   I watch my Mom and her friends in the 80s plus just having a great time winning my quarters out of the slot machine Fun has no problem there.  But there is an age when it seems there is no place for fun and frivolities I do remember its Gray all the time and  DING DING DING damn their goes  more of my quarters, Barb hit a big one, chips poured out on the table so she has a bowl to catch her winnings  in.   Now What was I saying?  Hell having to much fun to remember mush not have been importnt

After an hour or so my phone rings !   Yes it is the BBQ calling,   letting me know the Venison roast is now at 160 core temp, which also means the first burgers and hot links are very well done.  (Yea you believe that my new BBQ has heat probes that can Blue tooth to your phone!!)

We feed the shoe leather to the Kids,  make some soft tacos out of some of the venison roast,  Damn the meat is so tender the fresh onion, cilantro, tomatoes, cheese makes your mouth water by just the aroma and the taste  is like a festival of flavor dancing on your pallet. 

s*** been day dreaming long enough guess I should get some work done, maybe some more rambilings later

• Jillar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users