41 replies to this topic

#1 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

Just married, a new Home and almost her entire family over on a Sunday making tamales.
The house smelled of all that was good to wrap in Masa and corn husks, Pork, Chickken, Beef some cooking in the crock pots some on the rotisserie and even more out on the BBQ.
We had put a cover on the Pool Table and stuck folding tables end to end the length of our Game room, the first round of meats, Masa and husks spread out down the Tables and all are getting their spredder of choice.
You would think that with the years of Tamale making knowledge we had that the 30 plus Woman would have the same basic tamale making styles? Nope seemed Tamale making was generational !
The Great grand mums were gathered around the pool table, with their Little spoons and working on the Masa with precise thickness and perfect folds all pretty much to being identical in size shape and amount of meat and tied on the end with a strip of corn husk, (Beautiful works of yummy art !!)
Next the Grand Mums who got the big spoons and would make two tamales to every one of the Elders, not as perfect, they varied in sizes and not as shapely, but stout full Tamales that were folded and not tied.
And then the MUMs and to be Mums, Armed with Ladles, here a couple swipes and the husk was cover with Masa thick here thin there and most times it requied two husks, the meat was not spooned and smoothed rather piled on and the extra sqeezed out when folding, these were not the clean folded and tied perfection or even the folded and varied, they were full and lopsided budging with all the flavored goodness one Desires out of a tamale.
And the Boys?
Yes me and my son in-law, other than Mexican at the end of the tables, we had decided we were going to take these woman and their years of Tamale expertise to school.
I had purchased Tamale trowels! Yes Trowels, 4โ€ wide and a 1/8 lip on both sides to insure the correct thickness across the Corn husks, and we had a plan that was very well laid out, meat was to our right at armโ€™s reach, Husk soaking on a table tray between us and a large folding area and steamer center in front of us. And we were off, the trowels well lets say took some getting use to and our first in Devers were well entertaining to say the least for all the woman.
But we got the hang of it after a couple dozen or so, well at least we thought we had? Pretty soon the Cameras start drifting by and flashes go off, the laughter from the woman when they looked into our steamer was infectious and had to of echoed thru the neighborhood.
The laughter, great food and Family that year will remain in my memories as one of the best!
  • avian3, Jillar, Jennet and 1 other like this

#2 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Sounds great and nice when all the generations get together ๐Ÿ˜€

It makes me a little uncomfortable when you say stuff like - white and Japanese. Maybe it's just different cultures as over here we just wouldn't say that ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
  • avian3 likes this

#3 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,006 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

It makes me a little uncomfortable when you say stuff like - white and Japanese. Maybe it's just different cultures as over here we just wouldn't say that

It's the same here.  :D  It just depends on who will get offended or not.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#4 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

It's the same here.  :D  It just depends on who will get offended or not.

I just wanted to add that I cringe when someone uses the word "fag" for a cigarette.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#5 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

I just wanted to add that I cringe when someone uses the word "fag" for a cigarette.

Oh god me too ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
  • avian3 and Jennet like this

#6 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,063 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

I hate that word for a cigarette too!

Great post buckster, I was picturing it as I was reading :)
  • avian3 and Jennet like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#7 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

No Malice meant at all, How would I have conveyed that I we were not of Mexican decent, the Humor was us try to out do generations my wife's family which are Mexican. I believe we all should be proud of our heritage and if we cant say what we are what does that say?

#8 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

No Malice meant at all, How would I have conveyed that I we were not of Mexican decent, the Humor was us try to out do generations my wife's family which are Mexican. I believe we all should be proud of our heritage and if we cant say what we are what does that say?

No offence taken and none meant to you. Just different views ๐Ÿ˜€

I really enjoyed reading it though and could picture everyone.

#9 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

OK dokey, I really wish we had gotten a couple of the picture of our Tamales They were pretty pathetic looking but they tasted just fine.
  • Jennet likes this

#10 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

I could be wrong, but I think Faith was referring to to "white" vs "Japanese" but again, I could be wrong.

We have a member that uses the words "window lickers" and I have had a couple of pm's where people were offended by that since they would compare it to "retards" which many find objectionable. Times have changed and we really have to be careful not to offend.

Unless someone actually makes a report, I usually just overlook these things, just as I do in real life.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#11 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

Not sure I get the offence with me describing myself and my son in law, there are as you stated many other descriptive words that I choose not to use due to the offence factor.
Guess for now on I'll use the Governments Definition to describe us OTM's

Apologies

#12 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Not sure I get the offence with me describing myself and my son in law, there are as you stated many other descriptive words that I choose not to use due to the offence factor.

Apologies

To tell you the truth, I am not really up on how to use proper terms. It's obvious you were not trying to offend. It's like walking on eggshells these days. :)

Now I have a craving for tamales. I am of Norwegian and German descent and when we are home we always have Christmas Eve tamales.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#13 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,063 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

I'm Norwegian and Irish but I don't ever remember tamales being a tradition in our family. The only thing I remember is having corned beef and cabbage on St. Patricks day! I know that I got my love of smoked salmon and kippered snacks from my Norwegian grandpa and dad :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#14 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

Apologies

I was never offended personally so don't give it any more thought.

I don't even know what a tamale is ๐Ÿ˜€

#15 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

I make sure there are enough Tamales made to get me thru New Years, Love the whole process, especially the smell of the meats cooking and the tamales steaming.
Right up there with Bacon and coffee cooking in the mountains on a crisp snowy Morning.
  • Jennet likes this

#16 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

ydj5s.jpg
  • Jennet likes this

#17 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

I'm Norwegian and Irish but I don't ever remember tamales being a tradition in our family. The only thing I remember is having corned beef and cabbage on St. Patricks day! I know that I got my love of smoked salmon and kippered snacks from my Norwegian grandpa and dad :)

It's a chosen tradition in the last 10 years since I know a lady that makes delicious tamales and gives them to us each year.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#18 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Corn Masa filled with seasoned meats, Chicken, Pork, Beef and this year Venison and different Cheeses, Jack, Cheddar, Goat all good !!

#19 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

It's a chosen tradition in the last 10 years since I know a lady that makes delicious tamales and gives them to us each year.

My mother's used to be black eyed peas, cornbread and greens for New Year's. 

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#20 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

ydj5s.jpg

They don't make me want to find them and try them urgently but maybe it's all about the taste ๐Ÿค”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users