• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 crackerboxpalace

crackerboxpalace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:31 PM

Hello everyone. First poster here, and I'm really interested on your response to my musings. I've been an on and off smoker for years now, Camel Blues are my vice, they have a real smooth taste, compared to, for example Marlboro Reds. I know they're pretty weak, but it's what i started on years ago. 

My relationship with smoking is an odd one. When I'm stressed out, I kid myself that a fag is going to calm me down. I relax knowing that it's in my hand, but physically, I'm not even sure if it does chill me out. Perhaps it's just society telling me that the done thing is to be relaxed with a cigarette, and that's why people smoke in the first place?

Secondly, I have a real black and white relationship to smoking. I use it as a crutch. When I smoke, I feel like a cool [beeeep]. There's a real gang mentality around smoking nowadays, the people that duck out of a pub to light up, etc. However, I just cannot hold onto a pack and slowly work my way through them. Instead, I have em' all in a night, and tell myself, right, tomorrow is the day when you're healthy and you stop, then precede to chain em' till the wee small hours! 

The amount of pretty much full packets of cigarettes I've thrown away is ridiculous. I really want to relax and not beat myself up if I smoke every now and again... How do I develop a more healthy relationship with them... 

Thanks guys!

(wow, I really want one right now! )

#2 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:02 AM

I'm glad to have you join us crackerboxpalace. But sorry, you cannot "relax and not beat yourself up if you smoke every now and again". We learn here on QSMB that as addicts it must be NOPE for us forevermore (Not One Puff Ever). Either we are quit, or we are not quit. There is no in-between.

I wish for you to decide to take back control of your life and join us in quitting. You might consider spending some time reading our Newbie Package above. It will give you information about the addiction and motivation to want to overcome it.

• Jillar and cvold like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,986 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

Sorry crackerboxpalace, I doubt you will get any advice on how to have a better relationship with smoking here. We are a quit smoking forum but I'm sure you could probably find a forum somewhere that supports what you're asking about. If you do decide to end your unhealthy relationship with smoking and quit we will be here to support you.

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 Lucy1

Lucy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • quitdate:
    2001-01-15
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:28 AM

Hello everyone. First poster here, and I'm really interested on your response to my musings. I've been an on and off smoker for years now, Camel Blues are my vice, they have a real smooth taste, compared to, for example Marlboro Reds. I know they're pretty weak, but it's what i started on years ago. 

My relationship with smoking is an odd one. When I'm stressed out, I kid myself that a fag is going to calm me down. I relax knowing that it's in my hand, but physically, I'm not even sure if it does chill me out. Perhaps it's just society telling me that the done thing is to be relaxed with a cigarette, and that's why people smoke in the first place?

Secondly, I have a real black and white relationship to smoking. I use it as a crutch. When I smoke, I feel like a cool [beeeep]. There's a real gang mentality around smoking nowadays, the people that duck out of a pub to light up, etc. However, I just cannot hold onto a pack and slowly work my way through them. Instead, I have em' all in a night, and tell myself, right, tomorrow is the day when you're healthy and you stop, then precede to chain em' till the wee small hours! 

The amount of pretty much full packets of cigarettes I've thrown away is ridiculous. I really want to relax and not beat myself up if I smoke every now and again... How do I develop a more healthy relationship with them... 

Thanks guys!

Hello c,

I have a few thoughts to share in response.

>>My relationship with smoking is an odd one. When I'm stressed out, I kid myself that a fag is going to calm me down. I relax knowing that it's in my hand, but physically, I'm not even sure if it does chill me out. Perhaps it's just society telling me that the done thing is to be relaxed with a cigarette, and that's why people smoke in the first place?<<

Society's attitude toward smoking has been changing for some time.  It used to be seen as rebellious, super cool.  Not so much anymore.  As to the question of whether cigarettes have any qualities that cause relaxation - they do (but it's very short-lived and it causes stress at the SAME TIME so it's not an effective way to actually relax).  Here's more explanation of that from a website that has other good info if you're interested.

from https://www.smokersh...l-part-of-life/

Cigarettes contain nicotine, a psychoactive or mood altering drug. When a person smokes, nicotine reaches the brain in eight seconds and causes the release of a chemical called dopamine. Dopamine causes feelings of pleasure and relaxation, a sensation the body craves again and again. However, during these feelings of perceived relaxation, the body is actually experiencing increased stress – blood pressure and heart rate increase, muscles become tense, and less oxygen is available to the body and brain. The feelings of relief described by people who smoke may just be relief from short-term symptoms of withdrawal from nicotine.

>>However, I just cannot hold onto a pack and slowly work my way through them.<<

This is why it isn't going to be possible to create a "healthy" relationship with smoking.  You are addicted and unable to moderate how much you smoke.  

>>I really want to relax and not beat myself up if I smoke every now and again...<<

If this is truly what you want, then don't beat yourself up when you smoke.  Personally, I think there is a lot of unacknowledged shame that smoker's carry around because addiction is awful - a form of slavery - and none of us want to be addicted, we all want to think we can control things, and it can be really tough to be that self-honest and admit that something we'd like to control is in fact totally out of control.  And then have to do something about it.

>>How do I develop a more healthy relationship with them... <<

What an odd choice of words -- there is NOTHING healthy about a relationship with cigarettes.  And even if you COULD smoke 1 or 2 occasionally, there is nothing remotely healthy about inhaling carcinogens and tars and burning your tissues with hot smoke.  Literally, poisonous smoke.

I hope the feedback you're getting here provides food for thought.  I wish you the best.  

Lucy

• Mollie1, cvold and barry like this

#5 Despair Not

Despair Not

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-21

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Hi

Lucy has said it all really

Nicotine is a powerful drug that has rewired your brain over time and you are now an addict.

The only way to Quit is to stop feeding the nicotine receptors in your brain.

The only stress relieved by smoking is the brains craving for a nicotine fix every half hour.

If you want to understand more read the newbie sections that will provide further education.

• AdamLincs likes this
"Get busy living or get busy dying"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#6 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

I don't even get what you are asking to be honest.

Are you wanting to quit or just smoke now and again?

#7 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

Sounds like binge smoking, smoking till all smokes are gone.  I think you can quit and be successful if you as above adopt NOPE as your guide.   just one is not an option

#8 JimHannoonen

JimHannoonen

Ruler Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

Is this a joke?

This is a quit smoking forum, not a "how to smoke" forum.

We will help you quit, but don't expect us to help you have a healthy relationship with cigarettes.

• AdamLincs likes this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

#9 breath

breath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationWarwickshire

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

I have noticed this type of post has been popping up over the last month.

1 They only post once.

2 They always talk about their black/white relationship with smoking.

3 They always end with a stupid question and/or remark

How do I develop a more healthy relationship with them...

Thanks guys!

*It's a troll and probably someone from the past two months*

Relapse is like peeling an onion. TEARS!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"

George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950}

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER....

It does not stand for......

Not One Puff EXCEPT...

The minimum requirement is maximum commitment....to NOPE

It takes many good decisions to make a good quit, and  only one bad one to lose it.

Quit 2nd October 2001.

#10 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

Thanks guys!

Your sentence sounds like ' How do I put a sword through my heart, not bleed and live forever healthier'

No such a thing CBP, you smoke you die, you quit and you have a chance, simple as that. 

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#11 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

I have noticed this type of post has been popping up over the last month.

1 They only post once.

2 They always talk about their black/white relationship with smoking.

3 They always end with a stupid question and/or remark

Thanks guys!

*It's a troll and probably someone from the past two months*

I have checked and it may not be the same troll, but you are correct "develop a more healthy relationship with them" is what made me think this person is not serious. 

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crutch, confidence, mental health, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users