#1 Pedrolg

Pedrolg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

Hello guys,

So I was very worried before quitting in May last year, since I was already overweight at 218lbs (99kg). On the first few months after doing it, I ballooned up to 233lbs (around 106kg). At that point I was well into obesity, and there were some yellow flags in some exams.

But then my breath came back, and I slowly rediscovered so much stuff that I used to love and smoking had taken away for me. At first it was simply walking and taking the train to work instead of driving, then a little bit of basketball, then came the gym, and so it goes.

18 months after quitting, I now weight 187lbs (85kg, more or less), with a lot more muscle and a lot less fat. I've been working out 3 times per week, while playing soccer one additional day, and basketball on another. My exams are all within normal and healthy ranges, and, tbh, I never felt this good as a smoker.

It might take a while for things to adjust, but it's important to not fall into any illusion that smoking somehow provides some form of benefit in any regard, including weight management.

• Frank, marciem, Jeni and 13 others like this

1463871600_20_1_USD_8_dark.png

#2 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

Nice post. I was a bit worried about the title. Quitting does not make someone fat. Lack of exercise and poor diet are the main culprits. Unless of course a medical issue exists.

Congrats on your new healthy lifestyle. Well done. :)
  • Edna_Clouds likes this

Quit date Thursday 24th October. 2017, 10.10am AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

#3 eeyore

eeyore

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-01
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

Good for you Pedrolg!    :groupwave:  :groupwave:  :groupwave:

event.png2j3342d.jpg                      

#4 Faith

Faith

Non Smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-01

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:57 PM

Quitting has made me fatter too but I can't have everything. I was a bit of a porker before I quit to be fair.

Well done on the weight loss. I would find eating healthier soooo hard 🍰🍰🍰
  • Edna_Clouds likes this

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#5 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,728 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:57 PM

I'm glad you're feeling so good pedrolg :) Thanks for the update and congrats on losing the extra lbs. :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#6 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

Nice to know Pedrolg. I will be joining the gym soon as well

#7 Janeradhika

Janeradhika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-11-04
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

Good job Pedroig! That's awesome! It's a lot to quit smoking and lose weight... you should feel proud of your achievements... way to go dude x

#8 Moominmumma

Moominmumma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-11
  • LocationSouth coast, UK

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

Quitting has made me fat! Well actually it's probably the chocolate. Upped my exercise tons and still not lost any. Not going to beat myself up about it just yet as still early days for me!
  • oahusurfer82, Rozuki and grun like this

Making this my sticky quit since 11.48am gmt Friday 11th August 2017!!! Patches, lozenges, red wine and chocolate are my weapons of choice!
1502447401_25_1_GBP_7_pinksec.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#9 grun

grun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-21

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

Good for you. I am curious, how long did it take you to get your breath back?

#10 Pedrolg

Pedrolg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:24 PM

Good for you. I am curious, how long did it take you to get your breath back?

About 8 months I'd say, but it was a combination of qutting + exercising.

• grun likes this

#11 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

Did you have any sinus congestion? How long did that last ?
  • grun likes this

#12 grun

grun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-21

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

Great, so I'll exercise as soon as I can. For now sinus congestion it is Spark, same as you.

I hope the plan does not include quitting chocolate!

#13 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:48 PM

Yeah I hit the gym hard 3-4 months before quitting. During that time I spat a lot of hunk out mucous and stuff, so I guess that’s why my lungs are clear a little, but it still hurts a little. I want to hit the gym but this sinus thing is keeping me away and the low energy. I atleast am walking about 10k steps a day. So let’s see 😕
  • grun likes this

#14 Pedrolg

Pedrolg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

The sinus thing lasts differents amounts of time from one person to the other. For me it lasted for about 3 months. 

#15 Tiredofit

Tiredofit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-06

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

So you are saying quitting smoking AND start exercising? Slow down there cowboy. Some of us are in no shape to exercise.

• Rozuki likes this

#16 Pedrolg

Pedrolg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:24 PM

So you are saying quitting smoking AND start exercising? Slow down there cowboy. Some of us are in no shape to exercise.

Well, you should check with your doctor to find out the frequency, intensity and type of exercise that suits, and probably get a fairly comprehensive check up before getting started. I did, even though I quit at 31 years old and without any signs of anything seriously wrong with me. With that sad, the vast majority of people are fit enough to exercise to an extent, and will benefit from it.

I went from moderate walking and playing basketball here and there to lifting weights heavily every week, 3 times per week, aswell as doing other sports. Your body will adapt to exercise.

• grun likes this

#17 Rozuki

Rozuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-10
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:43 AM

Quitting has made me fat! Well actually it's probably the chocolate. Upped my exercise tons and still not lost any. Not going to beat myself up about it just yet as still early days for me!

I hear you, Moom!! I have gained 30 lbs since quitting! Ughh....Can't really blame it on "quitting" because it is due to the fact that I was rewarding myself with all sorts of chocolate (and cookies)! Managed to not reward myself the last 2 days and upped my walking...lost 10 ozs!!!! On my way!!!  :shock:

30.jpg

• Moominmumma likes this

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

Don't romance the cigarette. It's all a "pack of lies". ~ IQuit88

#18 Jeni

Jeni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,203 posts
  • quitdate:
    04/03/13
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:12 AM

Good for you on the weight loss and exercise, pedro!

I gained a LOT of weight in the years following my quitting. I was already 10 pounds higher than I wanted to be when I quit, and gained about 20 more. I was starting to get it under control and lost about 10 coming into my one year anniversary of quitting.

Then, my Dad got sick. I went into full on mode of my first addiction...food. Overall, I got to be almost 50 pounds more than what my goal weight would be.

As time has gone by, I've finally gotten back to taking care of myself. Started exercising regularly and watching what I eat (especially carbs). I am down nearly 40 pounds, most of this within the past 6 months.

Would I have traded the weight gain for quitting? As hard as it was to live with the extra weight while I had it, and then to get it off...not in a million years. Quitting is the single best thing I've ever done for myself. Now, I just get to enhance it.

Nice to see you, and congratulations on your beautiful quit! :)
  • Kathleen0515, Dors67, oahusurfer82 and 3 others like this

#19 Dors67

Dors67

Avenger 2014 :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,554 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-07
  • LocationCyberLand

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:02 AM

Ahhhh yes the old gaining weight scenario.

It’s a pain and is annoying...but as they say in the quit smoking world...and it’s soooooo damn true..

Fat cells are easier to lose than CANCER cells.

Proud of you for KTQ
  • oahusurfer82, Jillar, Kazza and 1 other like this
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2014event.png<p> 2014 AVENGER 2j3342d.jpg

#20 Kazza

Kazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-01
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Well done on the quit and shifting the weight - exercise is so good, once you make the commitment to start and continue.

Having loaded a further 20+ pounds I am now back to being focussed on my weight - watch this space.

Dors - OMG!! Fat cells are easier to lose than CANCER cells - that is so true, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Dors67, oahusurfer82 and Rozuki like this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2016

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users