21 replies to this topic

#1 Phoebe77

Phoebe77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:01 AM

I've been quit 3 and half years. 2 years ago I bought Gold Class tickets (my reward for quitting) to see Fleetwood Mac. After the concert, standing on the venue steps, I watched my sister desperately light up a cigarette and I had a huge crave and I said out loud ..

"You are so lucky you can smoke".

:shock: wtf?

Now I have tickets to see Stevie Nicks on Thursday at the same venue. I'm curious to see if my old addict brain will wake up and demand a cigarette.   :lol:

• cvold likes this

The past is only a memory and the future does not exist. All you have to deal with is this moment. Breath.

Kick Ass Member of The Avengers. Quit 11:50pm 23rd April 2014

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2014

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,728 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:11 AM

I'll be interested to hear on Friday how you did. I would probably be in the same boat as you because my sister smokes and has no desire to quit and would also be running out to smoke after the concert. Have fun, I love Stevie Nicks! And let us know :)
  • Phoebe77 and cvold like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 Faith

Faith

Non Smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-01

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:00 AM

Have a great evening 😀
  • Phoebe77 likes this

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#4 Dors67

Dors67

Avenger 2014 :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,554 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-07
  • LocationCyberLand

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

You’ll be too busy singing, dancing and enjoying it all to think about cigs..Enjoy sweetheart xx

By the way, I found this interview with Stevie Nicks and found it very interesting.

http://www.billboard...arat-gold-album

Dors

Ralph says woof woof woof = you’re not gonna smoke Phoebe cos I luvs ya x
  • hennawolf, Jillar and Phoebe77 like this
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2014event.png<p> 2014 AVENGER 2j3342d.jpg

#5 JustWright

JustWright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Phoebe-

Like Jillar I will be curious to hear your thoughts on Friday. I think it will be an awesome concert......I’m jealous! Guess my thoughts are....who cares if you think someone is “lucky” they get to Smoke. I know you won’t act on it and that is the most important thing!!!
  • Jillar and Phoebe77 like this

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#6 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Let us know about it. When I was on the second week of my quit, I was out with my brother and every time we went out to do shopping or something else, we would smoke together, but after I quit, I just said no when he advanced to give me one. I don’t know if that mentality will change after a few years
  • Phoebe77 likes this

#7 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

Enjoy the concert! You will be great! Don't let smoke have one inch of or space. Shut it down. Smoking is not an option

• Phoebe77 likes this

#8 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

I've been quit 3 and half years. 2 years ago I bought Gold Class tickets (my reward for quitting) to see Fleetwood Mac. After the concert, standing on the venue steps, I watched my sister desperately light up a cigarette and I had a huge crave and I said out loud ..

Now I have tickets to see Stevie Nicks on Thursday at the same venue. I'm curious to see if my old addict brain will wake up and demand a cigarette.   :lol:

Oooh, I'm so excited for you, Phoebe... I love concerts, and love Stevie Nicks!!  You'll have a blast, I'm sure!! :) :)  I can see you now, dancing and enjoying the music!!

I would almost put bets down that instead of the above emotion, you're going to have flipped over to "Thank God I don't have to smoke!"

That's what I think  :)  .  I know you won't smoke, you didn't back then when you were rawer, so you for sure won't now.  And you won't be blindsided since you're preparing for "those" thoughts in advance.  So ... let us know what you think :) :)  .

Quit Date 9/20/12
Posted Image
Posted Image
Honorary member of: Posted Image

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17

#9 george1326

george1326

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-20
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:41 PM

Don't stop thinking about tomorrow

• marciem and Phoebe77 like this

#10 george1326

george1326

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-20
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

How about, Never Going Back Again?

Seriously, I met Mick Fleetwood in Alexandria, VA many years back and we had a great conversation.

#11 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

Don't stop thinking about tomorrow

Good one George!!  :)

and here she is :) 

Quit Date 9/20/12
Posted Image
Posted Image
Honorary member of: Posted Image

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17

#12 johnny5

johnny5

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-16
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

Have a great time, Phoebe.  I'm sure you will do fine.

• Phoebe77 likes this

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. - Marvitta

I didn't quit smoking to live longer, I did it to live better. - jwg

event.png

2j3342d.jpg

#13 Tiredofit

Tiredofit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-06

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

Craves will likely always hit once in a while. Just part of the price we pay as ex smokers.

But more important -

Classic rock shows, that is awesome. And just think, someday your great great grandchildren will be going to see Keith Richards. Everyone else alive today will all be dead and gone by then but not keith.

#14 Phoebe77

Phoebe77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:00 AM

I am so excited! 2 more sleeps to go!

I know when we exit the venue all the smokers will be standing there smoking. Marcie I hope I will be thinking 'thank God I don't smoke!'.

Funnily, recently,  I went and saw a singer at a smaller venue who I knew in my younger days and I didn't have even the minutest craving so music isn't really a trigger.  My old brain equates rock concerts, and in particular Stevie Nicks/ Fleetwood Mac with the 'good old days' when I was young and carefree and just happened to be a smoker.  Still, after 3.6 years, there's a residue of romancing the cigarette! Good grief. Of course I promise I will NOT be lighting up a cigarette, I'm far to committed and switched on to relapse. But the old nicotine brain is tricky!

Dors, thank you for the interview. It was very interesting! xx

George I am never going back again!  To smoking that is!

PS By the time i have great great grandchildren Keith Richards will be 155 years old! He will probably still be rockin it on stage.

• Dors67, hennawolf and Jillar like this

The past is only a memory and the future does not exist. All you have to deal with is this moment. Breath.

#15 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

Hi Phoebe, 

There are some interesting aspects happening within this short couple of sentences.

You said that you watched your sister desperately try to light a cigarette after a concert (that I'm sure was at least a couple of hours long.) This really reminds me of the story I told in my post, "People Who "get" to Smoke", about watching the people desperately trying to smoke as much as they could before they had to catch their flight. 

https://www.quitsmok...o-get-to-smoke/

I know you know this and I know I sound like a broken record, but your sister doesn't get to smoke, she HAS to smoke. She has to smoke day and day out, week in and week out, month in and month out, year in and year out, cigarette after cigarette after cigarette after cigarette. And for what? Simply to keep the negative effects of nicotine withdrawal at bay. 

There is no better example of being stuck on the hamster wheel and getting nowhere than nicotine addiction. 

Us ex-smokers get to have a choice though as to whether to smoke or not. The only detrimental effect will only be if we make the wrong choice. A smoker on the other hand doesn't get to choose so easily. Either choice they make will have consequences. They can either continue to smoke until it slowly cripples and most likely kills them, or they begin the withdrawal process to free themselves from this addiction. While the latter is the obvious better choice, it is one that the smoker will have to go through. 

See, the only one who really gets to smoke is the ex smoker, but that statement comes with a caveat. 

Nicotine addiction is based off of the negative reinforcement principle, meaning people don't smoke to get a high per say, but to simply stave off the negative withdrawal symptoms. This basically means that if you're no longer actively addicted to nicotine and have no nicotine in blood stream, then the initial cigarette that the ex smoker "gets" to smoke will most likely just make them feel nauseous, shaky, dizzy, with their heart racing instead of giving them the "Aaaaahh" sensation that they were expecting. 

https://www.quitsmok...-of-aaaahhhhhh/

Even if there is an illusion of "Aaaaahhh" while smoking the cigarette, it will most likely be ripped away as soon as the person extinguishes the cigarette, leaving the person feeling empty, angry, and confused. 

The other part of that caveat is that one cigarette or maybe one or two more will be the only cigarette(s) the ex smoker will "get" to smoke. Through biochemical memory, the body and brain will begin to once again adapt to the onslaught of poisons being re introduced into the body at an amazing speed, and once again the ex-smoker who was in complete control of whether they smoked or not, will be quickly falling back into the grip of addiction. Now the choice as whether to smoke or not that was so easy and simple before, will no longer be. Now the choice will be to continue to HAVE to smoke to keep the negative effects of nicotine withdrawal at bay or once again go through the quitting process to free themselves from this addiction. 

Now I apologize Phoebe for using you as a springboard for this long reply, because I know that you know better, but I am writing this more for other people who may have the same thoughts in their head and might be entertaining the idea of acting them out. 

I promise anyone who acts out the "fantasy" of smoking just that one cigarette, that the fantasy will be ripped away when reality comes crashing down. I know this from many experience. 

Besides, having an occasional thought to smoke because of a certain person, place, or situation is infinitely better than the constant NEED to smoke in any situation.

Eric

• Jillar, Phoebe77 and lab rat like this
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”~Rumi

#16 Phoebe77

Phoebe77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

Excellent post Eric and so important for people who feel a kind of 'envy' when watching other people smoke.

PS My sister is still smoking :(

#17 Despair Not

Despair Not

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-21

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

Enjoy.
  • Phoebe77 likes this
"Get busy living or get busy dying"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#18 donvesta

donvesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts
  • quitdate:
    3/26/2014
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

Wtf indeed.

There is a beautiful cigar bar near me. Sometimes I look in the window and let my addiction loose. It still pulls me to the lies of pleasure and satisfaction.

Then the stink seeps out of the Crack in the door. I Hear the hack and the gag of all the smoking servants inside. Then I see the horrible complexion and the yellow teeth of the people inside and I am brought back to reality.
Enjoy dear Phoebe and know that I'm with you all the way.
  • hennawolf, Jillar and Phoebe77 like this

Acceptance is the key.

Be grateful for the pain. We can not heal without it.

I became a non smoker on March 26, 2014.

PROUD TO BE A 2014 AVENGER.

#19 Phoebe77

Phoebe77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

First of all I have to say this. Stevie Nicks is incredible. I saw Fleetwood Mac, as you know, 2 years ago and I thought that concert was amazing. I've seen her in concert 4 times, the first time in the 1970's (I was sooooooo young :grin: ). I can honestly say, hand on heart, tonight she was the best I've EVER seen.

She was the old Stevie, doing her twirls and stomps. Her voice was stronger than ever. She was on stage for 2.5 hours! NON STOP. And what an amazing concert. She told stories about how she came to write her famous songs. Little snippets of her personal life, growing up. She sang us songs that had never been released. She ROCKED Gold Dust Woman then straight into Edge of 17. And a beautiful Landslide at the end.

So ... the old nicotine crave? Didn't think about it until a guy sat behind me who had just had a cigarette. The music, the slight smell of a cigarette, the taste of vodka and lemon I'd just sipped. I wouldn't describe it as a crave. It was more of a pleasant memory of all those sights, sounds and smells together. It came, I smiled and it went away within a few seconds. I was grateful I was now a non smoker.

Hey Don loved having you there!  Cigar shops and Stevie Nicks concerts. But we are still rocking our quits!  x

• marciem and Jillar like this

#20 george1326

george1326

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-20
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

Smoking = Little Lies....I loved Fleetwood Mac so much, Now and in the old days. So glad I had a fine conversation with Mick some years back. 

George

• Jillar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users