• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

Wow did not realize you were going through all this. Thank you for sharing. I had the ct a few weeks ago and all was good. So sorry you are going through all this and hope you continue to receive good news. I admire all of you who continue to come here regardless of what they may be going through(I call them the regulars) to help us newbies. You are appreciated.

Thanks Snowy!!  It makes me very happy to see new quitters every day, and it is also encouraging that you have gotten your CT and the "all clear on it!!  :

So glad to read that NED is behaving Marcie, thanks for the update 

Thanks Jill!!  So far so good, thats all I can ask.  JWG survived approx. 13 weeks after his diagnosis with Stage IV, I was at Stage 1a (as good as it gets) (there's bunch of other numbers and letters after that, all saying "as good as it gets" with cancer diagnosis)

Very glad that things are going well with your treatment. Thank you for the update, and the warning. We are all so lucky to have our quits. Imagine if you had kept smoking, and never came to this board... maybe you wouldn't have even been inspired to get your CT scan... scary thought. So glad you're here. :)

Thank you so much, Autumn!!  Your saying that means a great deal to me :)   :bigarmhug:

As far as QSMB inspiring me to get the CT... no question.  Kathleen was advising it, and I got a reject from my own doctor the first time I asked about it (due to his admitted own ignorance on the subject), and had to really push him for the order.  On my own, I probably never would have heard of it until it was too late to do anything about the cancer.

Glad everything is going as well as it is. Good to hear.

Thanks so much, Greenie!!  :)

0c57159997f9f4c49b3612a5557016e9.gif

preach-gif-6.gif

:bigarmhug:

:bigarmhug:  back atcha!!  with a mwah on top of it :)  .  And you got it with the preachin' ... I'm a believer~~

I ❤️ Ned and I ❤️ this great news!! Yay marciem!!

Wonderful news Marcie

For those of us in the U.K. you can have this done for about £400 which is pretty cheap.

Thank you L4L and Faith!!  Faith, that's about the amount in US dollars I've seen quoted from Stanford University for self-pay.

Great news Marcie! I'm so glad to hear about shrinking NED!    

Okay guys and gals, you heard Marcie! Go get scanned!  

My best acolyte :)  I'm so glad to know you my friend!  :) 

• avian3, eeyore and Jillar like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#22 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

I'm happy to hear that news, Marcie.

G'day Marcie
Great to hear you well and still NO Evidence of Disease!
You living proof that that low dose CT scans are work. Find the cancer early and you get a chance to treat it.
Wait for symptoms to become apparent and any treatment is usually to late. Then the 5th most common cancer becomes the 1st most common killer!

Regards chris

Thank you Johnny and Chris!

That's exactly it, Chris.  The reason lung cancer survival stats are so abysmal is that most aren't found until symptoms arise, and then it is a case usually of palliation, not cure.

Great news my friend !!!
I am sooooo happy for you !!!
Keep up the great fight !!

So happy to hear! smileys-hearts-937215.gif

Excellent News, Marciem! Hope things keep going well for you! :grin: My next low-dose ct scan is already scheduled for Jan 2018....

I am happy to hear your better health news Marcie.....and send thanks for the testing reminder.

I'm very happy to hear this truly wonderful news, Marcie.

Glad to hear that your treatments have been successful, Marcie! You are such a wonderful light here! Blessings and love to you!

Great news as far as your screening goes. God to hear it, Marcie. And of course awesome me advice on Low Dose CT!

Thank you Smurfie, Beazel, Rozi, Lin, Jordan, Gigi and Erick!!  It is so good to have so many people who care and support me!  

And all of you who have  LDCT's worked into your health care schedules .... WAY TO GO!!  It is so important for us ex-smokers!!

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png

Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#23 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

So good to hear Marcie! I haven't been around much lately, so thanks for carrying the torch  :grin:

• marciem and NOPEster like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#24 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

I am not 55 and all I did is ask the doctor and winked the assistant and got mine done, clear so far ! 

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#25 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:56 PM

I am not 55 and all I did is ask the doctor and winked the assistant and got mine done, clear so far ! 

I'm so happy to hear that Frank!!  I list the criteria because they are what they are, and that's what they say... BUT

John (JWG) was only 50 when he passed, so obviously lung cancer doesn't check ID's at the door before it gloms on.  I'm sure the criteria are based on some statistical reference that says they'll get more bang for the buck after age 55 etc., but I always say with statistics, if it's YOU, its 100% no matter what the stats say.

• Frank likes this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png

#26 breath

breath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationWarwickshire

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Great posst Marcie :idea:

Relapse is like peeling an onion. TEARS!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"

George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950}

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER....

It does not stand for......

Not One Puff EXCEPT...

The minimum requirement is maximum commitment....to NOPE

It takes many good decisions to make a good quit, and  only one bad one to lose it.

Quit 2nd October 2001.

#27 Autumn

Autumn

~moth~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:51 PM

Cute animals for happy healing vibes. <3

cat-puppy-hug-gif.gif

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#28 mh_logic

mh_logic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-12-19

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

Great to hear of your progress, Marcie! Best wishes to you...
  • G67 likes this
Smoke free since December 19, 2016.
"You will be what you 'will' to be."- James Allen
"My strength lies solely in my tenacity."- Louis Pasteur

#29 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

Here I am with my so-far quarterly push for all who qualify to get cookin' and get scheduled for this test.

Criteria:

1.   Age 55 or older (under 80, I think)

2.  Smoked 30 pack years or more (1 pack day for 30 years, or 2 a day for 15 years and so on you do the math)

3.  Smoked or quit smoking within the last 15 years.

4.  Have no symptoms of lung cancer

5.  Be physically able and willing to undergo treatment if cancer found.

I won't treat you all to the whole Marciem saga, but if you're interested in the step-by-step it can be found here:

https://www.quitsmok...te-62717/page-1

As a quick overview, I was found to have lung cancer in February 2017. I have COPD to the extent that surgery was not recommended, but SABR (stereotatic ablative body radiation) (fancy-schmancy linear accelerator) treatment was a good option because my tumor was found so early ... with... TADA ....  LDCT (Low Dose CT Scan) screen as pushed hard for by our Kathleen.

I am the person that this test was invented for.  I had no symptoms of  lung cancer.  I smoked most of my life up until 4 years before CT diagnosis.  My cancer was found early enough to be treated, and perhaps cured, which of course is the goal of screening.

Last week I  had my second follow up PET/ CT and then visit with the doctor .  The results again show that NED is behaving as hoped (NED = my personal name for my tumor, which also stands for No Evidence of Disease, which my doctor proclaimed on office notes regarding my tumor, which is still gradually shrinking).  Other nodules that have been present all along are either stable in size or have disappeared, while new ones pop up ... the doctor called them "Probable COPD nodules, or inflammatory".  I continue to need close follow up, another PET/CT in 3 months, as outlined when my treatment plan was established.  Anyways, that's the good news for me :)  .

Moral of the story:

GET YOUR LOW DOSE CT SCAN!!   It is painless, quick,  usually covered by ins. and not that expensive in the grand scheme of your health if ins. doesn't cover it.

Just saw a powerful TV ad for the screen:  https://www.adcounci...ancer-Screening

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#30 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

Marciem I’m really happy that things are working out well for you. I’m totally impressed by the way you’ve handled this all along. What a champion. :)

Quit date Thursday 24th October. 2017, 10.10am AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

#31 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:46 AM

Marciem I’m really happy that things are working out well for you. I’m totally impressed by the way you’ve handled this all along. What a champion. :)

Just saw a powerful TV ad for the screen:  https://www.adcounci...ancer-Screening

GITW... Thanks!! :)   So far so good... update coming soon.

Nancy.... You know, I THOUGHT I heard something on the TV in the last few days (I don't watch much, but hubs has it on for "white noise" all the time), but didn't catch it.  I'm so glad they are finally pushing it thru to the general public!!

I'm due for another follow up recheck in the next couple weeks :),  I'll be updating when I know anything :)  .

Thanks for the bump, Nancy!!  We have so many newbies, they need to get up to speed on this screening also!!

• Smurf, Jillar, giveintowin and 1 other like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png

#32 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:45 AM

GITW... Thanks!! :)   So far so good... update coming soon.

Nancy.... You know, I THOUGHT I heard something on the TV in the last few days (I don't watch much, but hubs has it on for "white noise" all the time), but didn't catch it.  I'm so glad they are finally pushing it thru to the general public!!

I'm due for another follow up recheck in the next couple weeks :),  I'll be updating when I know anything :)  .

Thanks for the bump, Nancy!!  We have so many newbies, they need to get up to speed on this screening also!!

I thought the visual of her clawing up that mountain of smoked cigarettes was so powerful.  It conveyed both her success, and also the need to not become complacent.

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#33 NOPEster

NOPEster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-04
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:39 AM

Hey. And way to go!

I agree about Kathleen’s advice to get a low dose CT scan. I did it 2 months after I quit and was surprised as hell. It was NORMAL. I certainly dodged a bullet after 38 years of smoking. Still so grateful to God for that one.

Congrats to your hard work Marciem. Well done.
  • oahusurfer82 likes this

1486238401_40_1_USD_4_whitesec.png
2iijyuf.png

Started Smoking At 17, Quit Smoking At 55 . . . Recovering Nicotine Addict, Handle With Care

#34 brand.new.ela

brand.new.ela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

Great that it's going well with you. I don't fulfil the criteria, but I'll check what are the options to take such a test.

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#35 Sparkzzz

Sparkzzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

Glad to hear that’s marciem. Take care now.
Smoke Free Forever !!!

#36 Whispers

Whispers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-11-25

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

Great post! Thank you for sharing

0 user(s) are reading this topic