designsouth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-02
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:08 PM

Well it's been a rough road so far, but I'm still hanging in there. It's amazing to me how I didn't see smoking as the addiction to nicotine it is before this quit. I thought that I'd first try to deal with the physical motions of having a cigarette by switching to the VAPE. I got a 6 ml nicotine level and allowed myself to puff as much as I like on that thing. I thought that was a little difficult, because it was. Switching from actual cigarettes to the E-cigarette was a challenge, but still getting the nicotine fix and the oral motion of smoking made it very doable. I Allowed myself to use this for about a week, and this past Sunday night I switched the liquid to 0 nicotine. I thought that because I had disrupted the habit of the actual cigarettes that it would be easy to just roll into no nicotine. I puffed on the nicotine free e-cigarette for the first day a lot, but I found that without the nicotine, it was not at all satisfying. This actually surprised me. I really thought half the battle would be the day to day habit of having cigarettes. I still pick up the nicotine free e-cigarette when I feel like I can't handle the craving anymore, but with no nicotine being delivered, I always find it to be very unsatisfying. I use that unsatisfied experience as an example of the pointlessness of smoking at all, and so far have been able to hold off any cravings with this method. 

So It's not traditional, but it's working for me.

Last cigarette was Monday October 2nd, at 6:30AM, Last Nicotine was Sunday October 8th at 10:30 PM

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,928 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

Welcome designsouth, and congrats on deciding to quit and take your life back :) I'm glad you didn't find any satisfaction from the vape as most people who use that say they either smoked it way more than an actual cigarette or went back to smoking. So you're smart to choose neither :) Lots of great people here and stuff to keep your mind busy. I found that being active here really helped keep my mind off the misery and hopefully you will too. 

• Lust4Life likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 Acer

Acer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

I tried several times using ecigs to quit but it never worked out. I always ended up getting frustrated with ecigs and would just go buy a pack of smokes. They either didn't satisfy me or the batteries would die when I really needed to use it. 

I decided on this quit to not use anything to help me quit. So far so good and it seems like it is working out better than I thought it would. 

Welcome to the site. :)

• Jillar, Rozuki and designsouth like this
image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

#4 Gigi74

Gigi74

Namaste, ya'll!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-24
  • LocationOne Particular Harbor

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

HI, Design! Nice to meet you and congrats on your decision to quit! I had once upon a time tried to switch to vaping. Not even necessarily to quit, but just so that I didn't smell so terrible. This was right after vaping became kind of a thing. I did it for a minute, but found it unsatisfying went back to smoking. Glad I had that experience because I knew when I quit that that was just quitting cold turkey. Hope you're having a good day!

• designsouth likes this

1493064001_15_1_USD_7_whitesec.png

30ksjlf.gif

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

Aristotle

#5 Joe7

Joe7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

Welcome to QSMB Designsouth. Congratulations on the first 10 days of your quit. That is a big accomplishment. Those can be particularly rough days.
  • designsouth likes this

#6 designsouth

designsouth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-02
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:19 PM

My biggest motivation at this point is to never have to quit again!! 

• Gigi74, Jillar, Lust4Life and 2 others like this

#7 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:30 PM

Hi designsouth, glad to have you join us. This QSMB is an amazing place and I promise if you hang around and join in it can help you with your quit. Educating ourselves about the addiction is essential so the more reading you do on here (the Newbie Package at the top of this section is a great place to start) the better.

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to quit.

• designsouth likes this

]1488790801_16_1_USD_3_blacksec.png

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#8 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,373 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:54 AM

My biggest motivation at this point is to never have to quit again!! 

That is a great motivation....get it done and you never have to through any of this ever again.  You can do it!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#9 designsouth

designsouth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-02
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

It's been a rough several hours. My concentration is non existent. I'm so ready to be done with all of this. It's hard to think about anything besides a cigarette. I'm very committed, but it's certainly not the easiest thing that I've done. That Allan Carr book just makes me mad, lol. 

#10 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,928 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

Hang in there designsouth, I remember feeling the same as you and wishing the constant thought of a cigarette would go away. Then one morning I woke up in the best mood I've been in in years and everything started getting better. You'll get there too. But only if you stay quit, you can do it :)
  • designsouth likes this

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#11 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

Way to go DS, you claim your life back!

• designsouth likes this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#12 abollmeyer

abollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Concentration has been a problem for me too, but a week after quitting cold turkey, I can tell a definite improvement. I feel almost functional again, but the desire and thoughts of smoking are still there. Just have to keep moving forward.
  • Gigi74, FelicsFriend and designsouth like this

There's no going back now. Smoke-free since 10/6/17.

-Adam
image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017

#13 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-01

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:31 PM

If there is no nicotine why do you still use an e-cigarette?
30ksjlf.jpg

#14 designsouth

designsouth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-02
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

If there is no nicotine why do you still use an e-cigarette?

Well, it really helped me get over some points where I just wanted to smoke.  Having semi trained my brain over a week that I would be getting my nicotine from the E-cig, and then cutting the nicotine to make the experience disappointing, I get to experience the real pointlessness of smoking. Part of me just thought that I enjoyed the smoke aspect of  smoking, and this way of doing things has helped drive home the fact that its not anything but an addiction to nicotine.

Allowing myself to use the E-cig was just a step in my plan, but at this point I've hit the 7 day mark 100% free of nicotine, and my cravings are no longer crippling to me.  I will say that I am still get some pretty strong cravings, but up through day 5 I could hardly think of anything besides a cigarette, and doubted that I could ever enjoy life as a nonsmoker.  This of course was the addiction speaking and I'm feeling a lot more positive about the situation. I've naturally used the nicotine free E-cig less and less over the week, and at this point don't feel the need for it anymore. 

#15 designsouth

designsouth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-02
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

I'm starting to really feel better, and though it's been a rough week, I'm glad that I decided to cut the nicotine 100% and not drag out the process with the gradual step downs. I have all kinds of nicotine replacement products, patches, lozengers, gum, and they have been tempting me almost as bad a the cigarettes. I really didn't want to throw all of that out because they are expensive, and in theory they are quit aides. Now seeing nicotine as the addiction, and not cigarettes, I'm glad to have stayed nicotine free.      

• marciem, Gigi74, Jillar and 3 others like this

#16 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,928 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

You're doing great designsouth, maybe you can return them for your money back? I would probably get rid of them though. Why have the temptation right? One bad crave could cause poor judgement at your early stage of quitting and then you have nicotine reintroduced into your system :(
  • designsouth likes this

1zzrf54.jpg

#17 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

Just quit it all and stay quit. You're right about this being an addiction but also realize that while smoking & vaping you have been establishing an association of pleasure (getting your nicotine fix) with a wide variety of life events - happy ones, sad ones, stressful ones and many more. The longest part of quitting is learning how to live again happily without having that cig or vape device hanging from your mouth through future life experiences, You CAN do it, just like many of us have done it. Just don't smoke; ever :)

1485676801_25_1_USD_13_whitesec.png

#18 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-01

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

Thank you for taking the tie to answer my question.

I'm really pleased you are doing so well.
30ksjlf.jpg

#19 FelicsFriend

FelicsFriend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

well done on taking the courage to quit... ive been working myself to take the step as well and am about to jump in.. so will need your posts to help me claw my way to the next steps of quitting. its so hard to let go of something that has been part of our lives for such a long time.

#20 designsouth

designsouth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-10-02
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

So far so good... Hanging in on Day 9. The first 6 days of no nicotine were the worst so far, with days 3-6 being nearly unbearable. Day 7 offered some relief, instead of not being able to shake the feeling of needing a cigarette I'd get occasional periods of just not thinking about it. Day 8 was even better, and today I realized that it was at least an hour after I woke up that I even though about a cigarette. I find that my cravings are still bad when they come, but that they don't last long, and I can just go on about my business after getting past one, where as before (day 3-6) I feel like I was just rolling from one craving to the next. I am seeing myself more as a nonsmoker, but I also still feel a general void that's hard to describe. 

Anyway, Just wanted to share how things were going. I'm confident that I have this licked.      

• Jillar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users