25 replies to this topic

#21 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

I must agree Calories are key, and remember green is lean !!!!!  and fruit has a lot of calories, so eating a lot of fruit is not  all it is cracked up to be.

1488429001_5_1_USD_8_whitesec.png

#22 oahusurfer82

oahusurfer82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

Autumn, I've been quit for 20 months now and only recently begun to lose some of the weight I gained.  The post-quit symptoms of fatigue, mild congestion and feeling totally "out of sorts" suddenly made my normal workouts seem insurmountable.  The chief reason, of course, was increasing my food intake probably by 20-30% per day.  I'd gained 25 lbs in three months.  I soon gave up jogging and swimming (but kept surfing, which is still great exercise).

But the point is, I allowed myself time to become an overweight softie, because the main thing was to never smoke again.  Even though it seemed like I was in much better shape when I smoked, I "let myself go" in order to adapt to the quit. 

Over the past two months I've finally started jogging again.  The jogs are agonizing and much slower than before I quit, because I'm still overweight.  But with every jog, I shave off a few seconds...and hopefully a pound or two.  I've lost at least 10 lbs the past month, mostly reducing the "eight months pregnant" look my wife likes to chide me about.   :wink:

Yes I guess for some of us, something strange happens to the body after quitting.  It's like an upheaval in the whole caloric processing cycle.  Before I quit smoking, I could always count on quickly getting lean and muscular by working out regularly.  (My profile pic was taken about three months before I quit smoking).  But after quitting, that uphill climb suddenly got much steeper.  The body wants to retain weight and bloat; the equilibrium now rests on the pudgier side.  (Plus given that I'm now an AARP card-carrying age 53, this could also be part of the normal aging process).

I guess if being a non-smoker (plus getting older) means having to work harder to keep the weight off...then so be it.  You're much younger, so you've got plenty of time to adjust.  No matter what, it's infinitely better for our well-being that we never take another puff.  

Good luck in your quit!

• Frank, Jillar, Autumn and 2 others like this

#23 Faith

Faith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-01

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:24 PM

Size zero jeans 😮😮😮😮 Surely only children wear that size.
30ksjlf.jpg

#24 garrym

garrym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-13
  • Locationphoenix, az

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:43 AM

Autumn, have you been checked for a hernia in regards to the stabbing pain? I am not certain but my GP missed one right above my navel I had been complaining about for a year. Finally got to the surgeon who had done my previous hernia surgery and bingo I had a hernia again. Not sure an Ultrasound would show a hernia. Your doing great with your quit you will get the weight under control. Exercise is great but it is mostly calories. Keep trying and keep the quit. best wishes.

• Jillar and Autumn like this

#25 Autumn

Autumn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)⊃━━☆゚・゚✧

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

My dad just had a hernia!

So far, no exercise. Been very unmotivated to do so. Lots of crying and other issues. I have therapy tomorrow. Maybe my therapist will have some ideas for how I can get myself to exercise.

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#26 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:54 PM

Have you given a thought to joining a group, a walking or light hiking group. It is easier to get motivated to exercise when you do it in a group, plus you meet like minded people. 

Meetup.com  is great for that. 

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users