Autumn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)⊃━━☆゚・゚✧

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:31 AM

People kept telling me, your body will even out. You will gain a lot of weight, and then you'll lose some of it.

I have started eating much much healthier in the past six or so months. I eat very little meat, and a TON of fruits and veggies. I still snack on sweets here and there, but not much.

I have gained 30lbs over the past year. I have gone from a size 0 jeans to a size 5/6 jeans. At first, I was happy about the gain. But I am short (5'4"), and these pounds are really showing, especially the last ten or so. I am currently 127lbs as of my last doctor's appointment. I would be fine with that, if it was sitting right, but it's not at all. I have rolls. I have cellulite. My sides and front and even my back hang over many pairs of my pants. When I jump, I jiggle. Even when I stand, my stomach sticks out. It sticks out in a way that almost makes me appear like I am in the beginning stages of a pregnancy! Don't worry, I know I'm not. It's been an ongoing issue and I've gotten many periods... but it all makes me very self-conscious! :'( I feel like in another six months it'll start to hang over my pants, if I can't get this figured out.

I have told my doctor that I can't seem to stop gaining weight, even though I have been dieting, and she was apathetic. She said I'm an okay weight for my size, which I agreed (at least in terms of health), but as I told her, I definitely WON'T be an okay weight if my body keeps putting on pounds like this! I would really like to lose about ten pounds or so from my current weight, and maybe get back to fitting in a size 4 jeans? I'm not trying to be unrealistically thin here, I just want my body to look good in a bathingsuit. I just want whatever weight I have, to sit well. I'm just really concerned that no matter what I do, I gain and gain and gain. I tried exercising for awhile too, but it's been really hard because I've been having a lot of other health issues lately.

How much did you guys gain? Did you find that you lost it later? Was it impossible to stop gaining, even after a year? Should I be concerned?

• oahusurfer82 and Rozuki like this

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:26 AM

I know you said you're not much into exercising but when I was your age I did simple sit ups while I watched tv. As well as I got two of those little five pound weights and get on all fours with one of them balanced on the back of my leg where the knee bends then lift each leg fifteen times in sets of three. Then in the same position straighten my leg and bring it back up into a bending position for three sets of three. All while watching tv. Super easy and super effective for getting rid of the cellulite and jiggles around your waste. I had a great body and it got to be so easy I eventually got up to 100 sit ups and adding arm lifts using the five pound weights because I didn't want big ole muscles, just toned arms.
  • Jeni, Autumn, Kazza and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7348755

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 Autumn

Autumn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)⊃━━☆゚・゚✧

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:31 AM

Maybe I will pick up some 5lb weights from work and give these things a try. I have the hardest time exercising... I get out of breath so easy and my body always hurts as is. :( I wish I didn't feel so crappy all the time. I've been getting a lot of blood work done and trying to get to the bottom of my health problems, but they can't ever seem to find anything. Lately I've been having crippling sharp stabbing pains in the area behind my belly button, and a little to the right of it. Ultrasounds turned up fine. Everyone is confused. I'm scared.

It's all so weird because I'm very active. My job involves me standing for nine hours at a time, lifting groceries all day and then running around to place them in carts. I regularly lift things that are 20lbs and walk around with them. It's not like I sit around all day. I even like to go on walks in my free time, sometimes. And yet, my body feels awful when I do these things. It's like, I'm supposed to build stamina, and it never ever happens. And I'm supposed to have more energy, but I never do.

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#4 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:40 AM

That's what's so easy about these exercises Autumn, they're low impact so you don't have to worry about shortness of breath too much. It'll just help firm up the weight, put it in the right places and make you feel better both inside and out. I'm sorry you're not feeling well :( I'm glad that all your tests have come back fine though :)
  • Frank and Autumn like this

1zzrf54.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7348755

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#5 Jeni

Jeni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,273 posts
  • quitdate:
    04/03/13
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:47 AM

I know you said you're not much into exercising but when I was your age I did simple sit ups while I watched tv. As well as I got two of those little five pound weights and get on all fours with one of them balanced on the back of my leg where the knee bends then lift each leg fifteen times in sets of three. Then in the same position straighten my leg and bring it back up into a bending position for three sets of three. All while watching tv. Super easy and super effective for getting rid of the cellulite and jiggles around your waste. I had a great body and it got to be so easy I eventually got up to 10" sit ups and adding arm lifts using the five pound weights because I didn't want big ole muscles, just toned arms.

Can you modify this for a fifty-year-old?
  • Frank, oahusurfer82, Jillar and 1 other like this

#6 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:57 AM

Totally Jeni, but they're all super easy to do that you may find you don't need to modify it :)

Ps. 10" sit ups should have read 100 sit ups, stupid auto correct lol
  • Jeni likes this

1zzrf54.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7348755

#7 Jeni

Jeni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,273 posts
  • quitdate:
    04/03/13
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

Hi Autumn...

I'm sorry to hear of your struggle with weight gain. I know how painful that is.

Even though you are still thin (compared to the general population), I'm sure it's disturbing to have weight where you don't want it, and in places you've never seen it before.

I have had weight issues for as long as I can remember.

My step-father put me on a diet at the age of six, and I've never stopped having body issues since then. I don't think I'm likely to stop now.

I know you've struggled in this regard as well.

I can only encourage you to embrace exercise. Words I NEVER thought I'd say (cause I hate exercise!).

But, it does wonders for your mental, as well as your physical, health.

I've lost about 25 pounds since I started working out in May. I did modify my diet, mostly limiting carbs.

You are so young, you could probably turn your situation around in a matter of weeks.

As Frank would say, all the best to you! :)
  • Frank, oahusurfer82, Jillar and 1 other like this

#8 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

I also send sympathies that you have to deal with this Autumn.....the weight problems are bad enough but the health concerns must be very scary. I hope you get answers soon.

• Autumn likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#9 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,859 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

You are 5'4" and you went from 0 to 5/6 jeans and you are 127? Did I read that correctly?

If I did, you need to keep some of that weight. Don't get rid of the curves.

You just need to tone up in the right places.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

animated-merry-christmas-image-0174.gif

#10 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,859 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

I am only an inch taller than you 5'5 120  size 4 jeans and now I am starting to feel fat after reading your post.

I always thought I could put on another 10 and still look good with my small bones.

I think I will lose some more weight.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#11 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,478 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

Hi Autumn,

I was already ten pounds over weight when I quit, I put on another ten. I am overy 60 and losing this weight was not going to be easy. I waited till almost eighteen months quit. It took almost a year, but I lost twenty five pounds!

First, I started by eliminating all processed foods, especially sugar. I also reduced my carbs (I was eating a ton). I started walking daily. After thirty days I added some light weight workouts, like Jillar.

Losing weight, like quitting, takes commitment and work. I hope you find what is causing your pain and discomfort. Healthy eating and moderate exercise can only be positive.

Congratulations on your quit Autumn! One year will be an amazing milestone.
  • Autumn likes this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#12 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,859 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

I purchased this when it was a book 38 years ago and it has the best toning exercises IF you do them properly. I would do them everyday for decades and my butt and waist became rock hard.You don't need weights or spend money on a gym. AGAIN, you have to do them precisely the way she says and it takes a while to get used to doing them but it works.

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00B835Y36

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#13 Palm109

Palm109

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

I had an exercised challenged friend, that was basically in the same predicament as you my girl, except he was a he.

your diet is good for you, he will really jacked up his protein intake to feed the mussels he need to tighten up.

Autumn I am sure you are adorable as you are, but until you feel comfortable in the skin your in adorable doesn't count.

Can you do 10 push ups, can you do 10 set ups, can you do 10 leg lefts?     YES pretty easily done

Then do 9 a little later do 8 and 7 , 6, 5 ,4  all the way to 1 space them out thru the morning, you'll have done 55 at the end.

what this does is starts the mussels learning how to work and grow again.  after a couple of weeks you'll star doing 15 instead of 10 and so on.  You do need protein of he mussels to grow and strengthen,  Now my bud was not a meat eater so at GNC they have Chocolate flavored protein balls,  4 or 5 before the routine, 4 or 5 after the routine, as he got stronger his activity went thru the roof. 

It does work and same as your quit, you just got to want to be in shape enough to do it rather than not do it.

• Autumn likes this

#14 BlueBell

BlueBell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-30
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Autumn -

I hope I'm not too late to this thread. I'm about the same size as you, 5'4, and before I quit smoking I weighted about 120, right now I weigh about 129 - and I feel pretty good. I'm down from 133 - I felt awful at that weight. I'd love to be 125 - but if get there, great - if not, that's ok too.

I was always a size 4 - now I'm a solid 6. Not so shabby for a 60 year old!

The best way to lose the weight is calories in - calories out, you have to eat less and move more. Join myfitnesspal or any of the online weight loss apps - eat less calories and you'll lose weight.

Working out is great, I do that too - but that's for physical fitness. if you want to lose weight its all about the food. Yes, exercise burns calories but you can't outwork or outrun a bad diet.

I know I used smoking to curb my appetite. After I quit I constantly ate sweets and couldn't seem to ever get satisfied until one day I couldn't squeeze into any of my clothes and set my mind to losing the weight - just like I set my mind to quitting. 

If I could quit smoking, I could definitely lose weight and so can you.

You're young and I'll bet you're a cutie at the weight you are now, which is just about right for your frame. The working out will make you "feel" great -

Also, the watching your food and working out will give you something else to focus on -

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

• Autumn likes this

#15 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

Let me know when you find out how to keep the fat from places you don't want it.  I burn around 7k calories per week exercising and I am still growing a muffin top   :twisted:

• Autumn and Lin-quitting like this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#16 Autumn

Autumn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)⊃━━☆゚・゚✧

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:53 AM

Thank you all for the awesome advice on exercise. I really need to get my butt in gear. I know now, it's time for exercise, and I still have some work to do with my diet as well. Today I had a movie day with a friend and we ate LOTS of sweets, but I also made sure we had fruit/veg and I think I ate even more of that. But then I ate some chips. And a sandwich. Oi.

Anywho. I have a lot of work to do with this. I think I need to get in a better place in my head before I start yet another major lifestyle change journey, because I still struggle with mental illness a lot. It's so hard to motivate, or even want to motivate. Even growing more and more dislike for my body, hasn't been enough so far. And I know I need to quit while I'm ahead here. x.x

Thank you all, again. I will really need to try to motivate.

Also, to give you guys an idea of how crappy my muscles/body are, 10 situps just about kills me. I become short of breath and in pain and exhausted.

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#17 Palm109

Palm109

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

SWIMMG AND SEX ARE RATED THE TOP 2 EXERCISES TO KEEP YOUR FIGURE

2qb7xao.jpg

• Autumn likes this

#18 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Thank you all for the awesome advice on exercise. I really need to get my butt in gear. I know now, it's time for exercise, and I still have some work to do with my diet as well. Today I had a movie day with a friend and we ate LOTS of sweets, but I also made sure we had fruit/veg and I think I ate even more of that. But then I ate some chips. And a sandwich. Oi.

Anywho. I have a lot of work to do with this. I think I need to get in a better place in my head before I start yet another major lifestyle change journey, because I still struggle with mental illness a lot. It's so hard to motivate, or even want to motivate. Even growing more and more dislike for my body, hasn't been enough so far. And I know I need to quit while I'm ahead here. x.x

Thank you all, again. I will really need to try to motivate.

Also, to give you guys an idea of how crappy my muscles/body are, 10 situps just about kills me. I become short of breath and in pain and exhausted.

Autumn, When I first quit i got in to cycling, I swear the first ride was a square loop around my house, 1/4 of a mile maybe with a little uphill in one of the sections. I stopped 4 times to breathe and threw up 3 of those stops :puke:  And even thought I hurt and cramped at nights I kept on trying/doing. A couple of years later I was climbing the biggest mountains and riding 100 miles regularly.   Is not how crappy muscles are, is the whole body not being in shape to take any exercise, but if you continue and make a habitual routine out of it you will grow your strength and endurance to limits you never knew they existed in you.  Is about commitment to do it, just like quitting smoking   ;)

All the best your way !

• oahusurfer82, Jillar and Autumn like this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#19 justanotherone

justanotherone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-15

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Start slowly, Autumn. Just start somewhere - and don't focus on long term changes. Focus on what you're able to do now. A day at a time.

• Jillar and Autumn like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017

#20 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

I agree Autumn, you have to start small and just do the ten until ten becomes easy then add five more, etc. I promise with very little effort it will pay off.
  • Autumn likes this

1zzrf54.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7348755

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users