justanotherone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-15

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

(Hey everyone! Sorry in advance for any spelling/grammar errors you may find in this text :( I've been editing this text for the past weeks as a way to pass time, hope it seems plausible, useful or, at least, a bit interesting.)

Some time ago we were discussing how many smokers were still left. I began wondering about what could be the sociological explanation for the fact smoking isn't as prevalent as before. So I sailed off to the internet, seeking some answers and wanting to know what sociology has to say about smoking.

Smoking used to be a more present topic in academic journals until the early nineties but, now, not so much. I guess we can consider everything about cigarettes has already been said before, and we're beyond the point of discussing why smoking is a terrible habit and how it's bad for you.

I was careful enough to select some more recent papers - all of them with great other works on their references list. I enjoyed reading them very much and I hope some of you enjoy it too.

"Why I smoke? Sociology of a deadly habit" is an essay from 2003, in which the author discuss why she became a smoker and why she still smokes after so many years as an addict. Most of the things she mentions in this article are experiences most of us shared as smokers, and her main objective is having a good reason to quit. She mentions the social aspect of smoking, why smokers feel connected to other addicts and how it keeps them from quitting. Also she talks about why people keep smoking even though they know it's bad for their health. She mentions how smokers make smoking a part of their identities as well. After these points she proceeds to explain why people smoke using adaptations from a lot of sociological theories, every single one of them contributing to the discussion in its own way. She also mentions movies, fictional books, and other areas of knowledge (even hypnosis!) - unfortunately, she ends her essay saying even with her extensive research and intensive reflexion, she's still can't bring herself to throw her pack of cigarettes away. It's a very interesting read :)
[Read "Why I smoke?" here: http://scholarworks....manarchitecture ]

"The social context of smoking: the next frontier in tobacco control?" is an article from 2006, much more scientific than the essay I recommended previously. It's about how understanding the conditions surrounding smokers is essential to make effective policies against tobacco use. There's data about tobacco use in Canada, and it's an interdisciplinary effort. It's much more a methodological guide for those studying public policies than anything, but it brings a bunch of great passages, and the bibliography has so many good case studies - I'm taking my time selecting a few of them to read later.
[Read "The social context of smoking" here: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2563620/ ]

"Smoke gets in your eyes: what is sociological about cigarettes?" is an article from 2016 that brings great passages about how important it is to think the social context of smoking as well as the (more currently investigated) physiological aspect of addiction. It's a recap from previous sociological studies about smoking, and it references a lot of good texts. The question in the center of the study is "what makes smoking 'social'?" making its way from the action of individuals, social structures and historical context. The historical part is particularly interesting and mentions the cultural and economic setting surrounding smoking as a mainstream practice.
[Read "Smoke gets in your eyes: what is sociological about cigarettes" in http://journals.sage...1467-954X.12404 - I can send you the text if you have issues with Sagepub]

I'll post more links in this topic whenever I find something interesting.

• Jillar, Rozuki, Joe7 and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017

#2 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the work Justan! I haven't delved into the articles yet but I am looking forward to the reading and learning.

(And this isn't pointless at all. I hope an admin sees the post and moves it somewhere more appropriate.)

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,189 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the work Justan! I haven't delved into the articles yet but I am looking forward to the reading and learning.

(And this isn't pointless at all. I hope an admin sees the post and moves it somewhere more appropriate.)

Lin, avian has posted several times that if you see a thread that you think needs moved to let her know :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7348755

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Jillar, will do.

• Jillar likes this

30ksjlf.jpg

#5 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Justan, the link to the first article seems to be broken.

30ksjlf.jpg

#6 justanotherone

justanotherone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-15

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

Justan, the link to the first article seems to be broken.

The bracket broke the link... I'll fix it.

#7 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:18 AM

I haven't finished the first article but so far it's very interesting. I can't contact Avian (her message box is full?). I will try again, as I still think it's great information for us all to have, and isn't "pointless". Thanks again for your work.

30ksjlf.jpg

#8 justanotherone

justanotherone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-15

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

Thanks, Lin :) I thought it'd be silly to do my search without sharing the results afterwards.

• Jillar and Lin-quitting like this

#9 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,856 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

I can't contact Avian (her message box is full?). 

Just yell out on the board if that happens again.  :)

I'll move this thread to the main board.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

animated-merry-christmas-image-0174.gif

#10 Joe7

Joe7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for sharing the information justanotherone.

#11 cvold

cvold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-16
  • LocationBaraboo, Wisconsin

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

Thank you so much. Excellent work. Will enjoy the reading this weekend.
Always remember: you are not going
through this because you quit. You are going through this because you smoked...

Quit smoking; August 16, 2017

#12 Faith

Faith

Non Smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-01

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

They are soooooo long 😮😮😮

event.png