• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:26 AM

They said:

(1) that quitting was possible. I didn't really believe it. I am 60 years old and have (HAD!) been smoking heavily for 42 years. I was the typical "but I LOOOOVE smoking, I'm more addicted than everyone else" blah blah smoker. Well, here I am, 6 1/2 months clean. They were right: you CAN quit!

(2) that being a contributing member of QSMB would be an important part of a successful quit. Oh my yes! The information and education I have found on here, the help and motivation I have found on here, the validation I have found on here, and even the friendships I feel I have made on here.....not just important, but essential to where I am today. I will forever be grateful to QSMB and the people on here for helping to give me my life back. Old phartes right again!

(3) that it gets easier if you will just hang tough. Of course in month 1 everyone thinks they're gonna die from this, and nothing will ever be easy or good again. And then my months 4 and 5 freaked me out because I though it should be getting easier and it was rougher than ever.....but in month 7 really I'm sailing along and all I have to do is remember every day that NOPE is my life now. It's not that hard anymore. Chalk another one up for the old phartes.

(4) that one day smoking will just be something I used to do, nothing I even think much about most days. I'm not there yet - but I think I can see it in the distance. Since the old phartes have been so right so far, I'm just gonna believe them on this one too. I'm gonna keep believing and living the NOPE life, and believe that eventually smoking will mean nothing more to me than something gross I stupidly used to do.

Thanks to all the old phartes who hang around here giving their time and expertise and inspiration to we newbies!

• avian3, Frank, breath and 29 others like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#2 Jeni

Jeni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts
  • quitdate:
    04/03/13
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:43 AM

Awesome post, Lin!

You have been such an amazing member and contributed so much in your time here.

Thank you for being here, and for helping so many along the way! :)
  • green meenie, Lin-quitting and cvold like this

#3 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:51 AM

You are here to pass it on, Lin.  There are many new quitters and lurkers reading your words right now.

Keep up the great work!!  :)

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#4 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:52 AM

They said:
(1) that quitting was possible. I didn't really believe it. I am 60 years old and have (HAD!) been smoking heavily for 42 years. I was the typical "but I LOOOOVE smoking, I'm more addicted than everyone else" blah blah smoker. Well, here I am, 6 1/2 months clean. They were right!
(2) that being a contributing member of QSMB would be an important part of a successful quit. Oh my yes! The information and education I have found on here, the help and motivation I have found on here, the validation I have found on here, and even the friendships I feel I have made on here.....not just important, but essential to where I am today. I will forever be grateful to QSMB and the people on here for helping to give me my life back. Old phartes right again!
(3) that it gets easier if you will just hang tough. Of course in month 1 everyone thinks they're gonna die from this, and nothing will ever be easy or good again. And then my months 4 and 5 freaked me out because I though it should be getting easier and it was rougher than ever.....but in month 7 really I'm sailing along and all I have to do is remember every day that NOPE is my life now. It's not that hard anymore. Chalk another one up for the old phartes.
(4) that one day smoking will just be something I used to do. Nothing I even think much about most days. I'm not there yet - but I think I can see it in the distance. Since the old phartes have been so right so far, I'm just gonna believe them on this one too. I'm gonna keep believing and living the NOPE life, and believe that eventually smoking will mean nothing more to me than something gross I stupidly used to do.

Thanks to all the old phartes who hang around here giving their time and expertise and inspiration to we newbies!

Amazing. ..,isn't it? I feel exactly this way. Who would have thought?
  • Frank, green meenie and Lin-quitting like this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#5 johnny5

johnny5

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-16
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:53 AM

Great post, Lin!  You are helping many people here too.  QSMB is lucky to have you.

• Lin-quitting likes this

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. - Marvitta

I didn't quit smoking to live longer, I did it to live better. - jwg

event.png

2j3342d.jpg

#6 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:11 AM

Nice post LQ. It's so important to get the right support and info when quitting.  I'm so grateful for the support you gave me and am glad you're quit. :)

• Lin-quitting and cvold like this

Quit date Thursday 24th October. 2017, 10.10am AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

#7 Rozuki

Rozuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-10
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:19 AM

Yes, Lin....you are so right about what the old phartes say!! My story is very similar to yours and I am about a month ahead you in quitting. I marvel at the fact that at this point in time the triggers and cravings have lessened so much for me which is a good thing!!! You dove in and have been a major contributor here and have been an inspiration to me and many others here at QSMB...thanks!!!

I do have to work on quitting the chocolate and cookies as my clothes are getting a bit tight!!! Starting a dharma yoga class next Monday which should help me get in the right frame of mind to get back in shape!  :grin:

• Frank, Lin-quitting and cvold like this

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

2hrfi0z_th.jpg tenor.gif

30ksjlf.gif

Don't romance the cigarette. It's all a "pack of lies". ~ IQuit88

#8 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:50 AM

Great post Lin, and so true! Your posts are so well thought out and supportive that sometimes I forget that you aren't an old pharte yet :) And I too am so glad I listened to the old phartes :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#9 Mollie1

Mollie1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationSan Francisco Peninsula

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

It is amazing isn't it - how right the experienced quitters have been in everything they have been telling us. Reading their stories & those of my fellow 2017 SmokeBusters (like you) are a huge help in staying quit. Thanks for helping to share our gratitude.

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

#10 mh_logic

mh_logic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-12-19

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:23 AM

Wonderful post, Lin!  You are a true asset to this community and we are happy you are here.  Thanks for reaching out to me during my S.O.S. the other day.

And, yes.  I will continue to listen to the old phartes as well.  Slow and steady...

Smoke free since December 19, 2016.
"You will be what you 'will' to be."- James Allen
"My strength lies solely in my tenacity."- Louis Pasteur

#11 breath

breath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationWarwickshire

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

"Pay it forward" :arrow:  :idea:

The first time I read this phrase was on QSMB ( I think it was by Soul).

Your doing exactly this Lin. Well done :smile:

"The concept was rediscovered and described by Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Benjamin Webb dated April 25, 1784:

I do not pretend to give such a deed; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, in his 1841 essay Compensation,[2] wrote: "In the order of nature we cannot render benefits to those from whom we receive them, or only seldom. But the benefit we receive must be rendered again, line for line, deed for deed, cent for cent, to somebody."

In 1916, Lily Hardy Hammond wrote, "You don't pay love back; you pay it forward."[1]" WIKIPEDIA

• marciem, Jillar, Lin-quitting and 2 others like this

Relapse is like peeling an onion. TEARS!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"

George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950}

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER....

It does not stand for......

Not One Puff EXCEPT...

The minimum requirement is maximum commitment....to NOPE

It takes many good decisions to make a good quit, and  only one bad one to lose it.

Quit 2nd October 2001.

#12 Kazza

Kazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-01
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

Great post Lin.

You have become such a strong member of this board and now you can pass this message on - keep going you are doing just FAB!!

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2016

#13 Wee me :)

Wee me :)

Swinging on that rope!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-01
  • LocationBonnie Scotland

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

Great post Lin-quitting..

I believe in the olde phartes too and am sooooo thankful for them lighting the way.. :D
I gave up on 1st August 2017 after 32 years.
I can hear it trying to sweet talk me, trying ever trick in the book and then some
but not this time.
I control my nic demon it doesn't control me :) :D :)

event.png
30ksjlf.jpg

#14 Moominmumma

Moominmumma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-11
  • LocationSouth coast, UK

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hi Lin you have been such a support to me and I can't wait to be where you are and not even thinking about smoking the whole time. I'm not really constantly thinking of it but it's more than I would like but I'm relatively early in my quit. Thanks again for being there with words of wisdom for all of us!!!!

Making this my sticky quit since 11.48am gmt Friday 11th August 2017!!! Patches, lozenges, red wine and chocolate are my weapons of choice!
1502447401_25_1_GBP_7_pinksec.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#15 MInnMuldoon

MInnMuldoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-01
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Lin - A wonderful post to read this morning. Thanks and you are so right about trusting the old phartes along the journey!
f733b6bda3.png
1467356401_20_1_USD_10_whitesec.png

#16 beazel

beazel

Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

Great post Lin!   (you are going to be an awesome Old Pharte)

2iijyuf.pngYoung Pharte     

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 loveshower.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess 

#17 BlueBell

BlueBell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-30
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

Yes - they are certainly wise and were RIGHT. Thanks to them and you as well, for all your support.

#18 mikemcd

mikemcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-09
  • LocationValrico, FL

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Lin.  Excellent post and all so very true.  I also want to thank all the old pharts and everyone else on QSMB that shares their experiences. 

1502265601_40_1_USD_4_bluesec.png

#19 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

Lin,
So glad to hear that things are becoming easier. The first time I remember "forgetting" about smoking for a whole day was amazing. It sounds like it will happen soon for you too! Can't wait!!
<p>event.png

Smoking is no longer an option for me. I no longer smoke. Smoking is just something that I used to do

Smoking is not treatment. Smoking is the cause.

The usual outcome is only that, because you let it be. The "quitter's" outcome is because we "make it be".

Beat the urge, and the urge will stop beating you.

#20 JimHannoonen

JimHannoonen

Ruler Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

I LOVE this post! Keep up the good work. :)

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users