#1 Joe7

Joe7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

I have been reading on this QSMB as a guest for a few months, but I have never posted. For most of over 45 years I smoked 30-40 cigarettes per day. Just over 4 months ago I stopped smoking cold turkey. I stopped on a whim. I did not have a plan to stop, and I had never stopped before. I had no prior special knowledge about stopping. My knowledge base was that I was physically addicted to nicotine itself and probably very psychologically addicted to the act of smoking as well. My expectation was that I might experience a very unpleasant roller coaster of various feelings that could be both physical and emotional for a few weeks. I had no expectations beyond that. I did not tell anybody that I stopped smoking. I did not make any special commitment about stopping. I was not burdened with any pressure about the act of stopping.

I did get plenty of the unpleasant roller coaster of feelings that I expected during the first 3 weeks. I was aware of the different unpleasant feelings that I was experiencing, but I did not analyze them at that time. It was when some of the unpleasant feelings persisted after that roller coaster period that I started to research to see “is xxxxx normal?” My searches brought me to plenty of articles and web sites related to the topics. I was surprised at how limited and redundant the information was, and that the information was often dependent upon schools of thought and not on research or science. Sometimes posted topics from places like this QSMB are where my searches brought me. When I would land on these places, I would then search these sites for related content. The different quit smoking forums seem to have their own personalities. The personality of this site suited me best. The actual experiences of the posters on QSMB are not limited by schools of thought or available information. I read here a lot and it has been very valuable to me.

Thanks QSMB posters.    

• Frank, marciem, Nancy. and 10 others like this

#2 Huntressd

Huntressd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-25
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Hey Joe,

Congrats on your quit, and welcome!

I am not quit as long as you but in a similar, unplanned, not telling anyone way. Easier in some ways when no one has expectations, and if you have a relapse only you will know. But way harder in other ways like when a smoking friend stops by for a visit and doesn't know, but was worried because you haven't called or been out, it's hard to be around and it's even more difficult to try explain after the fact.
  • Jillar likes this

:groupwave:

1498395600_25_1_USD_18.00_default.png

#3 Joe7

Joe7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hi Huntressd.

I did not tell anyone until a family member asked at a get together in my 4th week. I don't know if it was the best approach, but I know that I did not have any external pressure on the success aspect of quitting during those first 4 weeks. I had plenty of other quit smoking stresses to deal with during those weeks. 

• Jillar likes this

#4 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

Nice to meet you Joe.

Quit date Thursday 8th June. 2017, 10.10am AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

#5 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

So what do you know Joe ? How long has your quit been

well anyway good to have you, and many years ahead on your quit.
mwfvpc.jpg

1488429001_5_1_USD_8_whitesec.png

#6 Joe7

Joe7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

Thanks GITW. I've seen most of your posts since you have been here, and it's nice to meet you as well.

#7 cvold

cvold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-16
  • LocationBaraboo, Wisconsin

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

Welcome.Congrats on your quit.
Always remember: you are not going
through this because you quit. You are going through this because you smoked...

Quit smoking; August 16, 2017

#8 Joe7

Joe7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

Thanks Buckster. I've seen a lot of interesting posts of yours.

• green meenie likes this

#9 Joe7

Joe7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

Thanks cvold.

#10 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,288 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

Hi Joe, welcome and congrats on over four months quit. That's awesome! I was a lurker too until I read something that made me want to post. I think a bunch of us were so I'm glad you signed up and I'm looking forward to sharing your journey with you :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#11 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

Hi, Joe, and welcome. What a great start you have on your quit! I'm glad you found us and look forward to your joining into our discussions. It helps you and it helps us.

]1488790801_16_1_USD_3_blacksec.png

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#12 Joe7

Joe7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Jillar. I've appreciated many of your posts while I've lurked here.
  • Jillar likes this

#13 Joe7

Joe7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

Thanks Lin-quitting. There have been times when I have wanted to join in, but not before I made some sort of introduction.

#14 beazel

beazel

DramaMama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:00 PM

Hi Joe  - happy you're joining in!

I don't tell anyone I quit either. (too many failures)

I like your story...way to go!!

2iijyuf.pngTweenie      

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 smileys-waving-606884.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye                                                              

#15 Joe7

Joe7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

Thanks beazel.

#16 Hydra

Hydra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-07-24
  • LocationIceland

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

Hi and welcome. Congratulations on those smoke free months and here's to countless more. Cheers!

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

Quit Date: Monday, 24th of July, 2017.

#17 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

Congratulations Joe and welcome!

#18 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:29 AM

Welcome Joe! My quit was similar to yours. Unplanned, first time quitter and cold turkey. I'm not that much longer quit than you really and it's been interesting at times and challenging for sure but very doable with the right mind set. Sounds like you have done a lot of reading about this addiction. Education about the smoking addiction is another key to quitting successfully. Carry on sir. I'm sure you'll do just fine :)

1485676801_25_1_USD_13_whitesec.png

#19 Phoebe77

Phoebe77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:27 AM

Welcome Joe and thank you for sharing your experience. It will help many people lurking and wondering if they too can take the plunge and quit.

I will always say education is the key to a successful quit. Then you know what you are dealing with.

The past is only a memory and the future does not exist. All you have to deal with is this moment. Breath.

Kick Ass Member of The Avengers. Quit 11:50pm 23rd April 2014

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2014

#20 Joe7

Joe7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-04

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:07 AM

Thanks Hydra. Your introductory "That Funky Feeling" was so well written. I could relate to so much of it.

Richard, Thanks for your welcome. I've seen so many of your posts.

Green Meenie, Thanks for your welcome and comments. I have enjoyed so many of your posts.

Phoebe77, Thanks for your welcome and comments. Many of your posts have resonated so well for me. Your post from March 5, 2017 titled When I Was A Smoker rang so true, especially the last section which reflected on smoking your emotions down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users