#1 EileenC

EileenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSouthern NJ

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Our local Wawa convenience store had a sign advertising Newport cigarettes for $8.02 a pack  BEFORE taxes.  According to the app on my phone, as a pack a day smoker I've saved over $1700 in the 7 months since I quit.  I'm in NJ.  What state are you in, how much were cigarettes when you quit and how much do you think you've saved?

• Frank and garrym like this

1485601200_20_1_USD_8_default.png

#2 BlueBell

BlueBell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-30
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

I have an app that says I've saved $1829.74 so far. I live in PA (have a summer home in South Jersey!) and cigarettes are about $8.25 a pack.

The only problem is my husband says I've overspent that money already - every time I want to buy something, I say - but I have the unsmoked money to spend! :eek:

Its so weird because I find that at the end of the week I have $50 or $60 in my wallet that I used to spend on cigarettes and its a nice surprise! When I smoked I was always stopping at WaWa and always getting more money from the ATM.

Hmm..I think I'll go buy something on my way home, just to celebrate.

• Jillar likes this

#3 Christian99

Christian99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • quitdate:
    2001-12-11
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:04 AM

I live in NY, and cigarettes are about 9 or 10 bucks a pack.  Last year, I did a fairly detailed calculation that factored in the changes in prices and the different places I've lived since I quit (I quit in NJ and was paying about four bucks a pack I think) and it was over $50K!!

Christian99

15 1/2+ Years Quit

• Jillar likes this

#4 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:36 AM

I'm really not sure how much I have actually saved because cigs tend to go up where I live every few months. The ticker just calculates the cost we input which reflects what they were when we quit. Where I am they were about $12.00/pack when I quit. I haven't checked the prices since but I know they went up at least once since I quit. Just glad I'm no longer wasting money on an addiction that was trying to kill me.

• cvold likes this

1485676801_25_1_USD_13_whitesec.png

#5 garrym

garrym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-13
  • Locationphoenix, az

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

Over my lifetime it has to be huge. I am 67 years old and smoked almost 40 years. Never more than a pack a day but it is scarey to think about. The last year I smoked I was down to about 4 packs a week but I was smoking American Spirit cigs and here in Arizona they cost 9 dollars a pack. That comes out to 1800 dollars plus for the year. To think the good that could have been done with that is sad.

#6 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,288 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:58 AM

My ticker reflects a price of $5.67 a pack. Now I think they're about $8.00!

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#7 fallinazael

fallinazael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:59 AM

I live in Hawaii and it's $12 + per pack.   

I also calculate the cost of grabbing something to drink and the drinks I buy when I smoke.  Comes out to $20 - $30 a day.

No lie before kicking this addiction I was spending any where from $600 to a $1k  a month.

To think that smokes taste so bad I had to buy a drink to wash it down.  Could never just smoke a cig by itself.  That should have been a sign on it's own.

• IllPass and cvold like this

#8 EileenC

EileenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSouthern NJ

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:06 AM

I have an app that says I've saved $1829.74 so far. I live in PA (have a summer home in South Jersey!) and cigarettes are about $8.25 a pack.

The only problem is my husband says I've overspent that money already - every time I want to buy something, I say - but I have the unsmoked money to spend! :eek:

Its so weird because I find that at the end of the week I have $50 or $60 in my wallet that I used to spend on cigarettes and its a nice surprise! When I smoked I was always stopping at WaWa and always getting more money from the ATM.

Hmm..I think I'll go buy something on my way home, just to celebrate

I do the same.  I find that I buy a lot more stuff that I WANT, not stuff that I need.  lol  I'm from South Jersey.  :-)

• Rozuki likes this

1485601200_20_1_USD_8_default.png

#9 Enrik

Enrik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-31
  • LocationNY, Metro. (North Jersey)

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:53 AM

Haven't done the math fully, a pack and half for almost 23mo, I assume around 10k - (give or take)!
JUST DO IT~~10/31/2015
url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]
a3jsx2.jpg

#10 Mollie1

Mollie1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationSan Francisco Peninsula

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:12 AM

After many years of paying $60 a carton, a new tax was passed in California that in April 2017, the price per carton was going up to $80. As I was averaging a carton a week, that number was just too much to waste on something so silly. So when I finished the carton (that I had paid $60 for), I decided that was it - no more. And have been saying NOPE ever since. So in 5 months, I have saved over $1500.
That feels good
  • JimHannoonen and cvold like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

#11 Foe

Foe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-16

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

I stoped almost 4 months ago. I save 8 euro's per pack. I am just shy of 1000 euro's saved in total. I live in the netherland :D

#12 Wee me :)

Wee me :)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-01
  • LocationBonnie Scotland

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

I stopped about 1½ months ago. A pack of puffs in Scotland were about £9/$12 so would have saved around £396/$528.. Now I say would have because I think I've spent it all on sweeties and chocolate smiling-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Jillar, Huntressd and grun like this
I gave up on 1st August 2017 after 32 years.
I can hear it trying to sweet talk me, trying ever trick in the book and then some
but not this time.
I control my nic demon it doesn't control me :) :D :)
event.png
30ksjlf.jpg

#13 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

I've saved so much, I bought all that I've ever wanted and have a full jar of 20's and nothing else to buy.  So I just enjoy watching the money that otherwise would have been burned up in smokes. 

I used to smoke the healthier :rolleyes: , organic  :roll:  , more expensive  :doh:  American Spirits only because They will kill you a bit slower   :blink:

• Rozuki and Wee me :) like this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#14 grun

grun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-21
  • LocationSpain

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

Same as wee me, after three weeks quit I have spent a crazy amount of money in sweets, organic carrots, the real too chocolates, fresh orange juice....
And I plan to keep spending money on nice things because I deserve it for the quit!
  • Wee me :) and cvold like this

#15 JimHannoonen

JimHannoonen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:54 PM

About $1400 according to my ticker, but I quit in Feb. when smokes were $6.50 a pack. They went up $2 in April, so a lot more in reality.

That said, I certainly don't have an extra $1400 in my bank account. lol

• Jillar and Wee me :) like this

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

#16 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Nothing in my pocket unfortunately. but paying the bills and buying groceries and gas for the vehicles we are no longer living paycheck to pay check. Have money in the savings, can go play when we want to.

so what ever the amount is it sure has been good for the whole family.
  • cvold likes this

1488429001_5_1_USD_8_whitesec.png

#17 cvold

cvold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-16
  • LocationBaraboo, Wisconsin

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

I stopped 30 days ago. Saved myself from inhaling 720 cigs. At 8.50 a pack- 320.00
saved. I am shocked as I never thought that I would pay 8.00 for a pack but not I did. You can double that as my husband also smoked. We are both quit and saving somectrue money!!!NOPE
  • Wee me :) likes this
Always remember: you are not going
through this because you quit. You are going through this because you smoked...

Quit smoking; August 16, 2017

#18 John1968

John1968

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-22
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:04 AM

Try living in Sydney Australia. I've quit for 145 days (about 4 and half mths). Price of cigs is about au $30 for 20 pack. Have saved au $4,350.

Exchange rate now is au $ 1 = us 80c

So cost of cigs is a major incentive to quit in this country!

#19 Mollie1

Mollie1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationSan Francisco Peninsula

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:28 AM

Wow - $24 USD for just one pack with 20 cigarettes inside? One more reason to "keep the quit".

#20 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

Try living in Sydney Australia. I've quit for 145 days (about 4 and half mths). Price of cigs is about au $30 for 20 pack. Have saved au $4,350.

Exchange rate now is au $ 1 = us 80c

So cost of cigs is a major incentive to quit in this country!

$30 ? That is crazy !   that amount would feed a family for a week in a lot of countries.

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users