• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-25

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

Hi All,

Might be a silly one to ask but..

As I am very partial to a beer in the evening now it is very problematic while I abide by our rules of NOPE!

I feel if I don't drink then I will have no crutches or niceties to look forward to, but in the same breath don't want to let alcohol take me down.

Do I completely avoid alcohol OR not see it as an issue & try and cope?

1504850401_15_1_GBP_8_bluesec.png

#2 beazel

beazel

Hiding

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

I don't drink (maybe every 5 years I'll have a couple drinks) so I'm probably not qualified to give advice, but..................

I read a bunch of posts that lead me to believe alcohol is not the best choice for a lot of people. So beware!

• Rjg and abhis like this

2iijyuf.pngYoung Pharte     animated-christmas-gif-4.gif

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 smileys-waving-606884.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess 

#3 justanotherone

justanotherone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-15

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

No quit is the same, but most of us avoided alcohol for some time early in our quits. Not only getting drunk can affect our judgement, but smokers usually associate alcohol and nicotine, so even a single beer can trigger some bad cravings.

I suggest you avoid alcohol for a while, then try it again in a "controlled environment" (at home, not at parties, only with non smokers, in small amounts, etc) until you know it's safe.

• Rjg likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017

#4 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,169 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

Hi All,

Might be a silly one to ask but..

As I am very partial to a beer in the evening now it is very problematic while I abide by our rules of NOPE!

I feel if I don't drink then I will have no crutches or niceties to look forward to, but in the same breath don't want to let alcohol take me down.

Do I completely avoid alcohol OR not see it as an issue & try and cope?

The operative words being A beer,. as in, no more than one.  If you plan ahead, and you know what you will do when a craving strikes (as it will most definitely) and follow thru on whatever your plan is (begin deep breathing, pop a lollipop in your mouth, chew a straw, something simple but distracting)... then give it a try.  STOP at the first sign of caving in to that trigger, and come here and talk it thru.

Alcohol has been said to be the Kryptonite of Quitters... and it sure can be, it is the biggest quit-killer out there.  BUT... you didn't jump out of the enjoyable life just because you quit smoking.  

Just beware, and treasure your quit more than you treasure your beer.  If you find it is causing a big problem, give up the beers but keep in mind you will only need to do that for a short period of temporary time, not forever.  Your quit is worth doing anything and everything needed to preserve it!!  

Best wishes, and let us know how it goes!

• Jillar, Lin-quitting and Rjg like this

335706_8924f.gif5ee50fcac6319779e58e358318429128.gif

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17

#5 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

I worried about the same thing Rob, and ended up trying what Marcie suggested: experimenting with controlled amounts of my wine with a backup plan in case the cravings got too bad.

In my case it ended up being no problem at all, I never did have to curtail my alcohol consumption. So you may be lucky, the same way I have been. But I suspect I am in the minority here. I was prepared to give up drinking completely - though temporarily - if it had been a problem, because again as Marcie said, your quit is much more important right now than some beers. There is too much evidence on here that too many quits have been needlessly lost due to drinking.

All the best, and keep up your good work.....

• marciem, Jillar, mikemcd and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#6 Rjg

Rjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-25

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

thanks Lin & Marc. I know my quit is my Priority here.

Ill try a very small amount tonight I think . . with a sister plan ready and waiting :-?

• marciem and Lin-quitting like this

#7 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,164 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

I also enjoy my beer Rob and when I quit smoking I was determined to not let it get in the way of my couple of beers each night so I never stopped having them. I did though stay close to home the first month or two where no smoking paraphernalia was and with my non smoking hubby. In fact I remember I was a few months quit already when I had a pretty bad crave so I started drinking so that I wouldn't drive to the store lol.
  • Lin-quitting, mikemcd and Rjg like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7348755

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#8 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

I have read threads about drinking playing a major role in many a relapse but I personally did not find drinking to be an issue with my own quit. I suppose it varies person to person but since it can be a dangerous component for some; wade into that activity slowly and carefully until you find out how it affects YOU. Then you can better decide how to handle it.

• marciem, Lin-quitting, mikemcd and 1 other like this

The process of quitting smoking doesn’t end with the last cigarette. It’s not quitting itself, the real key is staying quit!

#9 Rjg

Rjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-25

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

I also enjoy my beer Rob and when I quit smoking I was determined to not let it get in the way of my couple of beers each night so I never stopped having them. I did though stay close to home the first month or two where no smoking paraphernalia was and with my non smoking hubby. In fact I remember I was a few months quit already when I had a pretty bad crave so I started drinking so that I wouldn't drive to the store lol.

Sure that's how im thinking Jillar but don't want the drink to trip me up.

haha brilliant plan at the end :eek:  thankyou

• Jillar likes this

#10 Rjg

Rjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-25

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

I have read threads about drinking playing a major role in many a relapse but I personally did not find drinking to be an issue with my own quit. I suppose it varies person to person but since it can be a dangerous component for some; wade into that activity slowly and carefully until you find out how it affects YOU. Then you can better decide how to handle it.

GM.. that's exactly what I was thinking. Sooo glad you've just said it!

Ill just start very little in small moves & test the water.

#11 mikemcd

mikemcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-09
  • LocationValrico, FL

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

I am also a beer drinker and was a little concerned that it might be one of my major triggers.  Since I am retired, I normally go down to my local watering hole in the afternoon around 4 and have a few beers with the other old farts.  Half of them smoke.  I was very pleasantly surprised to find it did not bother me at all. 

I know it is odd but I generally start getting a craving for a cigarette just before I go join them for a few beers.  After I get there and have just 1 beer the cravings go away even though I am surrounded by smokers.  

All I know for sure is I say "NOPE" every day. 

• Jillar, green meenie, Lin-quitting and 1 other like this

1502265601_40_1_USD_4_bluesec.png

#12 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,164 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

That happens to me too Mike when I go to the local Post for a couple. Lot's of old time smokers there and even though I can smell it I don't crave one, which is awesome :) My biggest craves seemed to come when something good happens lol

• mikemcd likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7348755

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#13 mikemcd

mikemcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-09
  • LocationValrico, FL

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

It is odd.  Maybe I should just start drinking a lot more.  LOL :grin:

• Jillar, green meenie and Rjg like this

1502265601_40_1_USD_4_bluesec.png

#14 abhis

abhis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-11-27

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

@rjg

hey buddy well i dont think i could give in an experts advice but my take is alcohol really alters a person judgment.

i say quit alcohol for a while as well till you think you will be strong enough to say no to a cigarette.

#15 Whispers

Whispers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-11-25

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

I have blown quits when i had too many (key word too many) in the past. Around 3 months into one quit i was drunk and smoked, i learned that for myself i had to stop both for a time. I drink again but i took 14 month off from any alcohol, iam only a social drinker so its wasnt that hard to cut it out. Good luck and hope youre quit is still going

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drinking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users