• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa2121

Melissa2121

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

Hi, I am new here. I quit a few years ago and used a message board and it really seemed to help but I have no clue which one. Helps give me something to do when I feel the need for a cig! 

I didn't buy more today and just smoked my last one about an hour ago. 

I've used chantix and the patches in the past. Chantix worked well the first time but honestly I just wasn't ready. Round 2 of chantix never seemed to work as good as round 1. And the patches give me rashes. I've never taken the patches long just 1-2 days and then went cold turkey after that. Although I do have patches in my cabinet if needed. 

So I'll be drinking lots of water and probably a bit crabby and irritable for awhile. 

Any tips? I've been a smoker for 15 years and really only tried quitting the last few years. Never made it long. The longest was a little over 2 weeks and I was doing so good, waking up and having meals without even thinking about a cig right after 

What bothers me most I think would be anxiety. I don't have anxiety any other time but I am already starting to get it now just because I know I have none left! Just feels like someone is pushing down a bit on my chest. Lots of ice water and deep breathes. I've heard cinnamon gum helps so I should grab some of that tomorrow. 

How do you guys deal with people out in public smoking? I remember last time I quit leaving the grocery store I could just smell if someone was in the parking lot smoking. 

Anyways I should stop rambling. It's 2 am and I am off to bed. I'll be back first thing in the morning! 

• Lust4Life likes this

#2 justanotherone

justanotherone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-15

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Melissa,

First of all - Welcome to QSMB! :D

I was a smoker for twelve years and before this quit I could only manage a few days without breaking. Some of us were smokers for even longer. No quit is the same, even the same person can have completely different experiences. Begin by counting minutes, like you're doing now. Then the hours. Then days. And so on. Time will pass maybe slower than usual, even slower when you crave, but take it as a challenge and always have something to keep your mind at ease.

Anxiety is kinda normal and you must have always something with you to distract you or keep you grounded. I always have something in my pocket to keep my mouth (hard candy) and hands (a fidget spinner or pen and paper) busy. I'm terrible at staying calm (lol) but I tried mindfulness exercises when things got too rough and it worked. There are quite a few guides online about it.

Just remember: everything is just the same, you just aren't numb anymore.

And about people smoking... I spent my first three days at home, avoiding everything that could remind me of smoking, then I realized I was being too extreme. I started seeing other people smoke as a trigger I had to overcome, and everytime you overcome a trigger, you get stronger and feel better about yourself. Some people try to hate smoking and smokers in general as a way to keep the cravings at bay, but just... Just think it's not something you do anymore. They smoke because they need to - and you don't. And everytime you tell yourself that, you get stronger and it gets easier.

Pledge NOPE every day and congratulations on your choice :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017

#3 Despair Not

Despair Not

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-21

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

Hi Melissa

Congratulations on your Quit

Welcome to QSMB.

It will help you to read the Newcomers/Newbies posts on the Main Board.

The more you learn about your addiction and how smoking has changed your physiology then the easier it will be for you to keep your quit.

"Get busy living or get busy dying"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#4 beazel

beazel

SugarFree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hi Melissa & welcome!

People smoking in public - I still like the smell, so I don't try real hard to avoid them.

• putnaminn likes this

2iijyuf.pngTweenie      

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 smileys-waving-606884.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess                                                             

#5 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

Welcome Melissa, congrats on taking back your life! I stayed glued to this place my first year and am still here lol. It's a great distraction from the withdrawal in the early months of your quit. I found being active here whether it was supporting others,posting how I was feeling, socializing or celebrating milestones really helped take my mind off my misery. Also, own your quit! First out your quit date in your profile and maybe even get a ticker so you can watch all the time, money and cigarettes not smoked add up. And see what you'll be giving up should you cave to a crave. And lastly if you do feel yourself caving in, post an SOS to the main board and wait for three responses. Members will come running to help talk you down :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#6 Moominmumma

Moominmumma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-11
  • LocationSouth coast, UK

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

Hi Melissa
From one newbie to another - welcome. As everyone had said read until you can read no more and don't envy the smokers, pity them! They HAVE to smoke and you don't anymore. Look deeply at their faces, are they really enjoying themselves or merely getting their fix to temporarily ease nicotine withdrawal? I'm only on day 3 so can't offer many pearls of wisdom but I wish you luck, strength and all that you need to make this your sticky quit.
MM
  • Jillar likes this

Making this my sticky quit since 11.48am gmt Friday 11th August 2017!!! Patches, lozenges, red wine and chocolate are my weapons of choice!
1502447401_25_1_GBP_7_pinksec.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#7 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,710 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Welcome Melissa and congratulations on your decision to quit!!

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#8 Lust4Life

Lust4Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-26
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

Welcome to QSMB!! I'm glad you found us. This place was key in helping me the first few months of my quit. I was going crazy at times and reading posts on this forum really helped keep things in perspective. Buckle up, hold on tight, stick to the board & take it one day at a time!

KMQ since September 26, 2016.  One N O P E at a time.  :grin: 

#9 JustWright

JustWright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:28 AM

Hi Melissa and Welcome. Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. Stick close, read and post. We are all here to help each other.

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#10 Mollie1

Mollie1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationSan Francisco Peninsula

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:50 AM

Hi Melissa, Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. The world has changed over the past many years in its attitude towards smokers & so must we. In addition to the medical & financial benefits, you will see an increase in your sense of self confidence & self worth. It is not easy, but so very much worth it. Read & post followed by more reading & more posting. You can do this!

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

#11 Wayne045

Wayne045

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationVA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

Have a Rubik's cube handy to occupy your mind and hands. If you solve it then you accomplished two things, not smoking and solving a difficult puzzle. Once the cube is solved, start timing yourself to see how fast you can solve it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users