9 replies to this topic

#1 mito

mito

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:33 AM

So Hi everyone, 

I am on day 38 of my quit and feeling all the feels.

I still feel psychotically up and down emotionally...super great at work, really sad and depressed after work, so I work out, do errands, wash the car...anything to keep moving and from sitting and feeling lonely and sad.

Pretty f*****g exhausting..I keep asking myself, MY GOD< when do I get to take a f*****g break from this recovery???

I fill my time with visiting friends that do not smoke and doing other things that I avoided doing when my life revolved around smoking. I feel super awesome about all of it...and the obvious advantages are keeping me from stopping and buying any tobacco.

HOWEVER I go to a lot of events where tons of my friends smoke...whom I love and they by and large only smoke at the party...NOT in real life....so frustrating!!!! 

I am about to travel to the Oregon Eclipse music festival and there will be all my people smoking and it truly is this awesome communal thing we all shared.

I am already missing being a part...even though they all support me, I feel worried I will cave in and take it up again...and I DO NOT want to do this.

How do I manage the week?!

Last time I quit I was 4 months in and then went to a festival and boom...was a smoker again.

I AM NOT REPEATING THAT. But I AM going because I want to see the eclipse and dance and be with all my west coast family that will be there...certainly I do not have to exile myself from all the fun just because I am in recovery...how can I have both?

Suggestions and Celebrations because I miss the ritual I shared with certain friends and the release on the daily like the true addict I am....so painful.

TIPS for staying connected to smoking friends socially?

Tips besides candy and toothpicks for my mouth?! I hate gum and mints.

THANK YOU

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,877 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:14 AM

Welcome mito and congrats on 38 days quit. I think you know what you should do just from your past relapse, which would be to stay away from your smoking friends right now. I stayed close to home for the first two months of my quit. And when I did go out I took my non smoking hubby with me. I knew he wouldn't let me mess up my quit. I'm not saying don't go to the eclipse because it is a special event. Just maybe don't hang out with the smokers or bring someone with you that will slap the cigarette out of your mouth.
As far as an alternative to candy etc. I used my handy dandy JAC (jillars air cig). You simply pretend you're holding an actual cigarette in your fingers, then go through the motions of "smoking" it. It worked great for me and a few others here.
Whatever you decide to do if you feel yourself caving log on and post an SOS then wait for three responses. We will come running to help :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 Mollie1

Mollie1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationSan Francisco Peninsula

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

Read every post you can find on this site to understand the addiction & to truly be able to CHOOSE to not smoke. You can choose. Your friends at the festival HAVE to smoke - to avoid nicotine withdrawal. There have been many posts in the past about "social smokers", i.e. That very few actually exist. Like Jillar said, post an SOS or just leave for a short walk. Take along your list of all the reasons why you quit & pat yourself on the back for doing so. Smokers would need 38 whole days just to get where you are now. Congratulations on 38 days & for thinking ahead. Give your brain a chance to practice enjoying the festival as a nonsmoker.

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

#4 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,288 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

You need a plan Mito. Will you have access to QSMB? Will you post an SOS? Do you have someone than cares enough to talk you off the wall, who will be with you at the celebration? Can you walk away and leave, if need be? Will you be drinking alcohol, smoking pot, maybe? Alcohol is a quit breaker, tread with caution. Make plan and go and enjoy the festival.
  • marciem and Lin-quitting like this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413806400_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#5 justanotherone

justanotherone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-15

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

Jillar has a point - if you don't have anything to do with your mouth, as you said you don't like gum and stuff - try doing something with your hands. Per example, I hold my index and middle fingers up (like holding a cigarette) whenever I get anxious, although it's more like muscle memory than a deliberate action. You will be busy enough at the festival (I hope), so boredom won't be a problem.

Don't forget your quit, but try to keep yourself busy. Maybe try to think about how quitting makes everything different (for the better). Enjoy stuff you enjoyed before thinking about how enjoying them as a non-smoker is a new experience. Per example: dance a lot - get into the crowd and realize you can't burn people now :) Make every cigarette you deny yourself and every craving you overcome a reason to celebrate. Reward yourself when you get home.

Also be careful with alcohol and caffeine, if they are available. Make sure your friends know you quit - and be aware of those who don't support your choice. If you have a close friend supporting your quit, ask him to question you if you ever pick up a cigarette. And remember you're always a puff away from a pack a day.

Enjoy and I hope to hear from you soon :D

• marciem likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017

#6 justanotherone

justanotherone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-15

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

And, about people who "don't smoke in 'real life'"... I used to be VERY bummed about it. I even started a topic here about how it wasn't fair and everything. But I remembered I used to be one of them. Most of us were like them at first. And most of them will be like us in the future, trying to quit like we are now.

Nicotine is a powerful drug. We're not a special case or a few unfortunate ones, we're just in other period of the addiction cycle.

• Jillar likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017

#7 mito

mito

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

WOW!!! I am so glad I stopped lurking and made a profile to get some advice and support. Is really cool to wake up and find this love!!! THANK YOU!

I don't drink so that isn't an issue. Coffee isn't an issue. 

I do have a cbd vape pen I am bringing so I have something to "smoke and hold". My friend is bringing me some cartridges and this will help with my anxious, sad feelings and feelings of exclusion if they hit me. The friend I am going with is the girl who will slap me if I smoke so that is good. lol 

I am a BIG dancer and love yoga so I will be very busy with healthy activities and excited to maybe make out with someone now that my mouth will be sweet and not taste like s***. lol

#8 mito

mito

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

Also it is true that I socially smoked for 6 years before I started buying my own so hopefully I will be encouraging people to not smoke by holding firm.

I got my little written list of all the things to remember to pull out of my pocket along with lollipops to read when it gets really hard. 1 in 2 will die of smoking related illness...my mantra.

I also have a cousin dying of stage 4 lung cancer right now.

#9 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,877 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like you have a plan so just keep us handy if you need us, have a good time and enjoy the festival. I'll be looking forward to your update :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#10 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

The thing that I learnt was that every time I face a trigger and get through it without smoking, then I've completed another part of my recovery work. I know you are worried about triggers at the festival but try to see them as opportunities to gain strength in your quit to get through a whole bunch of trigger situations again.

You can quit smoking and live your life as you usually do.

Congrats on getting to day 38. Remember you've put in this work and not to throw it away so easily. You will get stronger in time.

• Jillar likes this

Quit date Thursday 8th June. 2017, 10.10am AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users