Photo

I understand the weight gain buttttt......

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 akmanak

akmanak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

Is there any evidence that quitting smoking actually slows down metabolism? Doesnt matter and wont affect me when it comes to staying done qith smokes, but I have read on this board a couple of times about this. Curious if there is any research on this?

#2 arti

arti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

I exercise daily... I eat fairly healthy food but I have put on more than 5 kgs in the last few months... :(
  • Mike Piano likes this

1488967201_10_1_EUR_3_pink.png

#3 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,859 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

I don't know about research, but in my case it had absolutely no affect on my metabolism.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

animated-merry-christmas-image-0174.gif

#4 justanotherone

justanotherone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-15

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

From my experience, I guess losing weight and smoking are more linked in a way that cigarettes ruin your palate and some people (I used to do that) use them to skip meals or smoke instead of snacking. So, when you quit, everything tastes delicious and you have nothing to distract you from eating :(

• Jillar and Wayne045 like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017

#5 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

Is there any evidence that quitting smoking actually slows down metabolism? Doesnt matter and wont affect me when it comes to staying done qith smokes, but I have read on this board a couple of times about this. Curious if there is any research on this?

There's research in the opposite direction, namely that smoking INCREASES your metabolism.  Therefore it stands to reason that cessation would slow your metabolism back to normal, but it takes a while for your body to adjust to your nonsmoker normal, hence you keep eating the same (or more) as when you smoked but your body isn't burning it as rapidly as when you smoked.

That plus the fact that many many many of us use eating in place of smoking to get thru the crucial first weeks & months of quitting can account for the weight gain many experience.

• Edna_Clouds likes this

335706_8924f.gif5ee50fcac6319779e58e358318429128.gif

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17

#6 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,859 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

There's research in the opposite direction, namely that smoking INCREASES your metabolism.  Therefore it stands to reason that cessation would slow your metabolism back to normal, but it takes a while for your body to adjust to your nonsmoker normal, hence you keep eating the same (or more) as when you smoked but your body isn't burning it as rapidly as when you smoked.

That plus the fact that many many many of us use eating in place of smoking to get thru the crucial first weeks & months of quitting can account for the weight gain many experience.

Again, it had no affect on me so it may not affect everyone. People afraid of gaining weight shouldn't have to worry about this too.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#7 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

A

Again, it had no affect on me so it may not affect everyone. People afraid of gaining weight shouldn't have to worry about this too.

I almost mentioned you in my post :)  .  Unfortunately, a lot of us have experienced some weight gain, and there is some valid scientific reason behind it.

But your experience was why I did not generalize to "everyone" but instead said "many"

No one should avoid quitting to keep from gaining weight.  But if they are aware and afraid of weight gain, they can do what it takes to counteract weight gain before it gets out of hand.  If that's their reason for not quitting.

• avian3 likes this

335706_8924f.gif5ee50fcac6319779e58e358318429128.gif

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17

#8 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,859 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

I almost mentioned you in my post :)  .  Unfortunately, a lot of us have experienced some weight gain, and there is some valid scientific reason behind it.

But your experience was why I did not generalize to "everyone" but instead said "many"

No one should avoid quitting to keep from gaining weight.  But if they are aware and afraid of weight gain, they can do what it takes to counteract weight gain before it gets out of hand.  If that's their reason for not quitting.

Now aging is a different story. The last few years I have noticed my metabolism has slowed down and it's not because I quit. :D

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#9 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,859 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

The reason I make a point of always saying my metabolism was not affected is not to dispute the research.

I wasn't like most people. I was scared to death of gaining weight and that was one of the reasons I didn't want to quit. My mother died from complications due to obesity. Also I have chronic back pain and even 5 lbs gained means more pressure and pain on my lower back, knees and hips.

You could have asked me if I would rather continue smoking, get a smoking related disease and lose weight from that rather than gain a lot from quitting. My answer would have been yes. 

I am sure there are some like me and I just want just want you to not be afraid of gaining weight because it may change your metabolism. It may not and if it does, it may not be drastic.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#10 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

Gaining weight didn't change my metabolism at all either. I was so underweight from smoking my meals instead of eating them that my metabolism was super low. Now I find myself going more places and getting more things done. But it took a while, I just started being more active these last few months.

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7348755

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#11 putnaminn

putnaminn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-24
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

Weight gain is one of those things that happen with many. We quit smoking and usually put more into our mouths that need to be.  I prepared for the weight gain and I still am not liking it.  I have gained 9 lbs since I quit 5 weeks ago.  It is my own fault. I just keep shoveling things into my mouth.  I will gain control of this soon.  I am aware, but right now I am more aware of the not smoking thing.  That is a must.  No more smoking. 

Once you have a grip on the not smoking then you can address the weight gain. One step at a time. Baby steps. You can do this.

Stay close to the board, post often and read all that you can. :)

• Jillar and Rozuki like this
event.png
image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

#12 Gigi74

Gigi74

Namaste, ya'll!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-24
  • LocationCedar Key with Travis McGhee

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

I put on weight very easily and so have to be careful and watch what I eat. I threw that to the wind when I quit for a few weeks and gained 7 pounds. I've put the brakes on eating everything chocolate in sight and haven't gained any additional, but haven't taken the extra off yet. I'm getting back to being more active every day and improving my diet a bit at a time. 

I don't know how metabolism is affected by smoking, but I don't think it ever really had a huge effect either way. I know I gained when I quit because I stopped working out every day and gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted. Just anything to keep me from smoking.

• putnaminn likes this

1493064001_15_1_USD_7_whitesec.png

30ksjlf.gif

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

Aristotle

#13 radiomisty

radiomisty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-10
  • LocationWherever I am at the moment

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

At one month into my quit I can say that I have actually continued to lose weight as I have been previously to quitting.  I have been very vigilant about not substituting food for smoking and have stayed my normal level of active.  Did not increase my exercise and actually added a single ice cream snack every night for my treat.   I will say my digestive system has been affected in that things move extremely slow but I am grateful for not gaining any weight so far.      

• Gigi74 and putnaminn like this

#14 mikkko

mikkko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

I know how you feel...

I have quit smoking 2 months ago after smoking for 15 years . Like you, I experience severe weight gain and bloating.I KNOW RIGHT, its even worse if you're a woman.

I have no appetite for anything, I dont even eat as much as usual but Im still gaining weight and my tummy swells up like im 6 months pregnant.

Disgusted, angry and helpless... I googled online and realise many people like me, having the same problem after they quit smoking but no one has yet to offer any solution.

Trust me, I exercise like im possessed. But hell noooo...Im still gaining weight.

The bloat is unbearable. I could not fit in any clothes. Im fat all over and Im desperate for answers.

So right now.... Im offering answers for the helpless people out there who was once like me:

1) I tried a natural laxative called Senokot. It will clear your bowels in 8 - 10 hours time. The bloat comes because after u quit smoking, ur body lost its ability to move your bowel without the help of nicotine. Its a natural process... our body was damaged... admit it and try to tune it back

>>> Its works like 99% of the time, especially if you have functions or parties you need to attend and you'll need to fit in those body hugging cocktail dresses!!!! But warning here!!! it takes 8 - 12 hours depending on individual, so make sure u take them at least 12 hours in advance. When the laxative kicks in, u're be in a hell loads of pain. Equivalent to the contraction you get when about to give birth. BUT PLS DONT TAKE THIS for more than a week... your body will get use to it and forever lose its natural ability to move that bowels

2) Exercise.... cardio would be good. After you stop smoking, u realise that ur skin sags for some reason Im not sure as well. For me, its really bad at my butt and thigh. You'll see cellulite forming like overnight (But I think that depends on your age as well)

I did alot of different cardio, and let me tell u which one works

>>> You can forget with crunches and leg lift. Anything to help u achieve that flat tummy is almost impossible whenever you start bloating. Solve the bloating issue first then u'll be able to work on abs

>>> Talking about saggy skin. U'll see it more on your arms, thigh and waist (For sure).... Arms, well, you have to lift weights. But I know we can get impatient right, esp u're skinny (like me) and suddenly u bloated and became fat like overnight. But be patient... start lifting like 1  - 2 kg dumbells. While waiting for your body to tune itself back. If u start lifting heavy weights.... ur body will get used to it and u'll just have to continue increasing those weight. Unless u want to.... but for me, Im not really into exercising.

>>> Squats : Instant result on the thigh and butt. Needless to say more

3) Now comes the secret recipe to make u feel whatever reason u quit smoking is justifiable again!!!!!!! (Trust me I hated myself for quitting when I see my body going through such dramatic changes)

>>> Behold!!!!!!!!

It's Lemon Juice!!!!!!!! The wonder of wonder!!!!!!!!

Believe it or not.... I tried many many methods. To keep my weight under control I even tried smoking back a stick fortnightly. I lost sleep everynight because Im tired of being fat. I had to drink alcohol to force myself to sleep

To feel normal again after all the quit smoking symptoms and hooha your body is going through. Lemon juice is the antidote. I take half a lemon, juice it... add it with warm water and DRINK it. Miracle!!!!!!!!! Im back to normal again. I dont even have to exercise anymore.

I think i still gain abit weight after quitting (almost unavoidable) but HEY its the bloating that causes all the drama for quiting right. Furthermore... its ok to gain abit weight if its going to be for health sake.

I hope with this, I can help people out there facing the same problem as me :)

and for those who had read about trying enzyme pills or probiotics. My advise it, dont take them. Once your body get used to it, that's it... they'll rely on it like forever...

Let your body tune back the natural way as much as possible.

Good luck guys! 

#15 grun

grun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-21

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

coming back to the original question I happen to have some personal evidence on how my methabolism slowed down when quitting. I got this activity watch that measures heart frequency a couple of days before quitting. My HF when resting went down from 71 to 55 in one week (check the pic), now it seems to be more stable around 60 (that is a big difference!). Also, while smoking and not doing absolutely any physical movement I was burning fat, while that no longer works after quitting. So sure, methabolism changes, but it does it in a healthy way. I am very concerned about weight gain too, but for the moment I am going to focus on health.

Well, this is actually what I repeat myself constantly, in reality the swelling and bloating is driving me crazy, makes me feel down.

p.s apparently I cannot use the picture with the data, sorry

#16 Hydra

Hydra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-07-24
  • LocationIceland

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

You are right Grun, metabolism slows down when you quit and it takes a few months, or even longer, for our bodies to adjust.

I'm dealing with both weight gain and bloating issues as well and I agree, it's irritating as **** so I feel you! 

I would suggest lemon water as Mikko talks about here above. Just squeeze half a lemon, mix with warm-ish water and drink in the morning before eating breakfast. It's a wonder for swelling (fluid retention). Having said that, I'm going to start doing that again, had forgotten about that remedy.

You can squeeze a few lemons at a time and put them in a jar and refrigerate them (saves time in the mornings) and even mix your lemony drink the evening before. It's best to drink it luke warm though. :)

• Rozuki and grun like this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

Quit Date: Monday, 24th of July, 2017.

#17 Lovely123

Lovely123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

Belly Fat. The most exciting news about weight loss and smoking may be that quitting smoking can help reduce pesky abdominal fat. ... In fact, the type of fat stored under your skin helps suppress hunger by releasing hormones that suppress your appetite. It's a win-win if you're trying to lose weight.Jul 18, 2017

I Felt The Same Way. I Found A Link For You

http://www.livestron...ou-lose-weight/

#18 Lust4Life

Lust4Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-26
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:13 AM

KMQ since September 26, 2016.  One N O P E at a time.  :grin: 

#19 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the link Lovely. That was interesting.

(Though I'm still waiting for my "pesky abdominal fat" to start shrinking due to my quitting. :grin:  Hasn't shown any signs of starting yet. :grin: )

• Rozuki and Lovely123 like this

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users