Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-03
  • LocationWashington

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

Hey there Buckster! Sorry your Fathers Day was only SOSO! I had a really good Father's Day for a lot of different reasons! One of the best parts was giving my Dad his present, a metal detector. For the last 4 or 5 years, he heads out to Montana in search of the Forrest Fenn treasure:(https://en.wikipedia...i/Fenn_treasure)

Every year he's convinced he knows where its at, and every year he comes home empty handed but with new ideas to where its hidden lol! He was so excited about the metal detector he could hardly put it down, just in the few hours of playing with it, he found a couple rusty nails but he looked like 70 year old kid digging up gold doubloons :)

• Nancy., jordan7, Gigi74 and 4 others like this

918b247167.pngTiny-Tiny-Seal_zpsqhtq7juz.gif

signature_zps73numo3z.png

#3 JimHannoonen

JimHannoonen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

Here's an post from an old blog of mine about my Dad.

He was a great good man with a big heart who would literally give you this shirt off his back or his last dollar. He loved us all, but sometimes he loved his alcohol a bit more. He also loved his cigarettes, which eventually killed him.

The other day, as I flipped through the channels, I stumbled across a Twilight Zone marathon.

I instantly parked my ass on the couch and got lost in another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination.

Man, I hadn’t heard that monologue since I was a kid.

The Twilight Zone was my old man’s favorite show and I remember so many nights, when I was just a kid, staying up late and watching it with him. Half the time I was huddled on the couch scared out of my pants with my hands over my eyes and Dad making fun of me, but boy did I love watching that show and boy did I like spending time with Dad.

So during this Twilight Zone marathon, for I don’t know how many hours, I just sat and completely spaced out. Lost, not only in that crazy dimension, but in memories. Was it hours and hours of wasted time? I don’t think so, because not only was I entertained by the horrendous acting, ridiculous twists, Rod Serling’s genius and the overall naiveté of the late 50’s/early 60’s, but I was brought back to my childhood that, while full of lots of bad times, had just as many (if not more) good times that I don't really think about as often as I should.

I may not sit huddled and scared on the couch anymore, peeking through the cracks between the fingers that once covered my face, nor do I sit wondering if I’m really a doll in some space alien’s playroom. No, I sit and enjoy every moment of every episode and every memory that they bring back, because that’s all I have left.

Now if only I could find a Benny Hill marathon…

Miss you, Dad.

• Breatheasy2, Gigi74, Jillar and 3 others like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

#4 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,466 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

Love that post Jim, thanks for sharing...

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

5vbuwn.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years
QuitWe say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#5 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

Take Care Jim, I miss mine also.
  • Jillar likes this

c7a7513d68.png
1488429001_5_1_USD_8_whitesec.png

#6 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,214 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:36 AM

Take Care Jim, I miss mine also.

Me too....
  • Jillar likes this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413806400_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#7 Rozuki

Rozuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-10
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:34 AM

Me too, Jim...although I loved Twilight Zone as a kid....my Dad turned us kids onto science fiction....so we watched Outer Limits together...(we really believed some alien from another planet took control of our tv set every week while the show was on!) I think I have seen every vintage "B" space/alien movie about invaders from Mars, Robbie the robot, body snatchers,etc. The good old days....I miss my Dad  :wub:  

• MInnMuldoon and JimHannoonen like this

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

Don't romance the cigarette. It's all a "pack of lies". ~ IQuit88

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users