green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

I was sort of like you Orca, starting out with the 21 mg patch but I forgot to put it on about day 2 or 3 of my quit. Things didn't seem so bad for the rest of that day so I just decided to ditch the patches and get the nicotine out as soon as possible. I'm not sure if that was the right decision or not as going cold turkey from there on was no picnic, that's for sure. The bonus is that once I was probably a month or so in, I didn't have to face what you are dealing with now - getting the nic out of my system and dealing with a secondary withdrawal after I was just getting comfortable with my quit.

In retrospect, I'm glad I did it the way I did but everyone is different and has to find their own comfort zone and know what they personally can handle in terms of the nasty withdrawal symptoms. What ever works for YOU is the right choice :) Stick with it and pull yourself through this second set of challenges. You have the tools at the ready to get this done. I can't imagine any discomfort you're feeling now will last all that long. You have already begun to reprogram your brain in terms of dealing with those smoking triggers so now it's just getting the nicotine out.

• Orca likes this

1485676801_25_1_USD_13_whitesec.png

#22 Despair Not

Despair Not

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-21

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

Orca

I hope your fillings will stand up to the manic chewing your doing.

If they don't at least you have saved some money to cover the dentists bill.
  • Orca likes this
"Get busy living or get busy dying"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#23 akmanak

akmanak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

I did 21mg for 2 weeks and switched to 14mg for 4days and than went to 4mg gum.

I wasn't really sure why they want people on it for so long. It all sucks but once you get off the patches and make it a week you are sitting pretty, but like all things dealing with addiction it is a case by case basis.
  • Orca likes this

#24 Orca

Orca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

I was sort of like you Orca, starting out with the 21 mg patch but I forgot to put it on about day 2 or 3 of my quit. Things didn't seem so bad for the rest of that day so I just decided to ditch the patches and get the nicotine out as soon as possible. I'm not sure if that was the right decision or not as going cold turkey from there on was no picnic, that's for sure. The bonus is that once I was probably a month or so in, I didn't have to face what you are dealing with now - getting the nic out of my system and dealing with a secondary withdrawal after I was just getting comfortable with my quit.

In retrospect, I'm glad I did it the way I did but everyone is different and has to find their own comfort zone and know what they personally can handle in terms of the nasty withdrawal symptoms. What ever works for YOU is the right choice :) Stick with it and pull yourself through this second set of challenges. You have the tools at the ready to get this done. I can't imagine any discomfort you're feeling now will last all that long. You have already begun to reprogram your brain in terms of dealing with those smoking triggers so now it's just getting the nicotine out.

Yeah it is annoying having to step back a little and fight another battle 6 weeks into my quit but I will never know if it would have been better for me to just go cold turkey from the start. The main thing is that I'm smoke free. I've been like a moody teenager the past week. Thanks for the post, much appreciated.

Orca

I hope your fillings will stand up to the manic chewing your doing.

If they don't at least you have saved some money to cover the dentists bill.

My fillings are holding steady! I am having a crown fitted later this month so the money will come in handy for that.

I did 21mg for 2 weeks and switched to 14mg for 4days and than went to 4mg gum.

I wasn't really sure why they want people on it for so long. It all sucks but once you get off the patches and make it a week you are sitting pretty, but like all things dealing with addiction it is a case by case basis.

I agree that it's a long time to be on patches. I think I cut approx 4 weeks off that. I feel like I'm over the worse now. It's still not great but the anxiety and irritability are starting to lessen.

• green meenie likes this

fd7749bcb2.png

And in the end

The love you take
Is equal to the love you make

#25 Moominmumma

Moominmumma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-11
  • LocationSouth coast, UK

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

I know this is an old post but would be interested to hear how you all doing another 6 weeks on. I'm on day 12 of my quit using patches and lozenges as I just can't do cold turkey, its just too much for me!

Making this my sticky quit since 11.48am gmt Friday 11th August 2017!!!

1502447401_25_1_GBP_7_pinksec.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#26 Rjg

Rjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-25

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:10 PM

Hi Orca,
Im experienced with the patches honestly: Use them all. The Full 6 weeks even if you feel ready to drop your dosage to stage2...it will give you more confidence without holding a cigarette or lighting up plus youll subconciously get used to not needing to smoke whilst the patch is on, the longer wear them the easier it wiĺ be when you take that last patch off. Hope this Helps 😊 Rob
  • Jillar likes this

1504850401_15_1_GBP_8_bluesec.png

#27 Lisa-Jane78

Lisa-Jane78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-09-17
  • LocationStoke on Trent, UK

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

I know this is an old post, but I am wondering why I have been told to do something different........ I have started on patches 25mg for 4 weeks then 15mg for 4 weeks then 10mg for another 4 weeks, then no nicotine at all.

Has anyone else been told to cut down on nicotine this way?

I would be very interested to hear what other people have done.

Thanks  :smile:  :smile:

:wub: Lisa-Jane :wub:

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

mi2rth.jpg

#28 Moominmumma

Moominmumma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-11
  • LocationSouth coast, UK

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

Hi Lisa

Yes me too! I guess the UK guidelines may differ from others but I did 21mg for 4 weeks, am almost 3 weeks through 14mg and will do 7mg for 4 weeks. I'm also using lozenges/gum when required. On a previous attempt (I managed over 4 months), my quit smoking pharmacist told me not to cut down or deny myself lozenges etc and that there has been research to suggest that people are more likely to go back to smoking if they don't use sufficient NRT and don't complete the course. I guess that's why it's a 12 week program here.

You're doing something amazing for yourself, we all are! Whatever way gets us there still gets us there!

• Lin-quitting likes this

Making this my sticky quit since 11.48am gmt Friday 11th August 2017!!!

1502447401_25_1_GBP_7_pinksec.png

30ksjlf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users