#1 Orca

Orca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

I notice this section of the forum is very quiet. I also notice that many, many people here don't use patches. I'm not going the vaping route for various reasons so thought the patches were a good choice. I know I am still addicted to nicotine.....I do know this :sad: The mental side of things was what was really scaring me. I thought if I used the patches for a awhile, I could tackle those horrible mental cravings. So far, it's working. I do have a huge fear of leaving the patches behind. I don't feel I will cave in and smoke again (I really don't and that makes me immeasurably happy!)  but it's still scary. What I really want advice about is how long should I wear these these things. This is the advice given by the manufacturer:

If you smoke 10 or more cigarettes a day, start on Step 1 with the 21 mg patch. Use that for six weeks, before moving to Step 2 with the 14 mg patch for two weeks. Then on to Step 3 with the 7 mg patch for a further two weeks.

6 weeks for the step 1 patch!? Does everyone stick to that? I've done 13 days on step one and was thinking about dropping to Step 2 tomorrow morning. Is this a good decision? I know that will be hard for anyone to answer as we are all different......but does anyone have any experience they could share? I've started to take my patch off hours before bed. I think I do this as prep for the future. Any help would be appreciated. 

• avian3 likes this

fd7749bcb2.png

And in the end

The love you take
Is equal to the love you make

#2 Maureen

Maureen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

I'm doing patches and have stuck with the whole box. I know some people don't but I wanted to. Today i started the lowest dose, 7 mg for the first time and I'm a little nervous. They have worked well for me, plus they were free under my insurance. 

Quit Date: July 27, 2017               

#3 Hope2Nope

Hope2Nope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-31
  • LocationSea of Tranquility

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

I tried a few times but patches don't work for me. So probably I am not the best person to comment but may be you can try going down now for a day and decide?

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#4 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,991 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

I notice this section of the forum is very quiet. I also notice that many, many people here don't use patches. I'm not going the vaping route for various reasons so thought the patches were a good choice. I know I am still addicted to nicotine.....I do know this :sad: The mental side of things was what was really scaring me. I thought if I used the patches for a awhile, I could tackle those horrible mental cravings. So far, it's working. I do have a huge fear of leaving the patches behind. I don't feel I will cave in and smoke again (I really don't and that makes me immeasurably happy!)  but it's still scary. What I really want advice about is how long should I wear these these things. This is the advice given by the manufacturer:

If you smoke 10 or more cigarettes a day, start on Step 1 with the 21 mg patch. Use that for six weeks, before moving to Step 2 with the 14 mg patch for two weeks. Then on to Step 3 with the 7 mg patch for a further two weeks.

6 weeks for the step 1 patch!? Does everyone stick to that? I've done 13 days on step one and was thinking about dropping to Step 2 tomorrow morning. Is this a good decision? I know that will be hard for anyone to answer as we are all different......but does anyone have any experience they could share? I've started to take my patch off hours before bed. I think I do this as prep for the future. Any help would be appreciated. 

When I joined here it was a lot more "Cold Turkey is the only way to fly" ... having used patches for 4 days, I went with the advice I got and ripped off the patch... but gave myself permission to slap one on a the first sign of "kill somebody or smoke" -ness.  I never got quite to that point.  So I consider my quit "cool turkey" and damn proud of it :D

There are a lot of differing opinions about methods and NRT, but keep in mind they are opinions not rules.  I think we can all agree that whatever helps you stay smoke free and build a life-long quit is a good thing.

You're using the patches for exactly the right reasons... to give you time to tackle the "mental side", the behavioral actions, the mindset, the triggers.  Overcoming these is the hardest part of staying quit forever.

It is never a bad idea to follow the directions on whatever method you use.   That said, there is also no harm in attempting to step down early if you are feeling strong,  and if it makes you too uncomfortable, going back to following directions.  

There WILL come a time of withdrawal from nicotine.  It is not painful.  Uncomfortable, antsy, anxious, maybe a little insomnia... but not nearly as bad as most of us anticipated.

The fear of it is much worse than the reality.

You're doing a wonderful job, Orca!!

Quit Date 9/20/12
Posted Image
Posted Image
Honorary member of: Posted Image

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17

#5 beazel

beazel

DramaMama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

Can't give you any "patch advice", but wanted to tell I'm so glad you've joined us. You are a joy!

KTQ

2iijyuf.pngTweenie      

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 smileys-waving-606884.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye                                                              

#6 Orca

Orca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

This place is just great. So much advice and support. Humbled.

Feely – Glad to hear the patches are working out for you. I’m unsure whether to keep going with the program. Unlike the other times I’ve ‘quit’, I feel very different this time and think that if I dropped a level early and it made things hard for me, I’d have the strength to move back up  rather than smoke.

Hope2Nope – I may well try going down for a day and see how I get on. I assume you went cold turkey like most others here it seems? Patches definitely aren’t for everyone.

Marciem- Ha at cool turkey. I’m liking that. I’m 15 days in, so in my case it would be frozen turkey. Glad that worked out for you. I wish I’d given cold turkey a go. I was just fed up of failing on previous quits. The only semi (and I mean semi) successful quits in the past were with patches. My Dad went cold turkey 10 years ago and he practically had to be locked in his room. I wanted to paint a big red 666 on his door when I went to visit. He was terrible.

I know so many people don’t believe in NRT and I totally get where they’re coming from. It doesn’t really make much sense but I’m desperate enough to give them a go.

Thank you so much for your positive words and great advice Marcie. At close to 5 years away from the big smoke, you are a great example and motivator.

Beazel – You are too kind, really. Your kind words stopped an ‘afternoon at work smoke break craving’ right in its tracks. My first smile of a stressful day. Thank you.

fd7749bcb2.png

And in the end

The love you take

#7 Hope2Nope

Hope2Nope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-31
  • LocationSea of Tranquility

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

Hope2Nope – I may well try going down for a day and see how I get on. I assume you went cold turkey like most others here it seems? Patches definitely aren’t for everyone.

Chantix/Champix actually. It was very helpful.

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#8 Orca

Orca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Ah, ok. Really happy for you :-) I did think about Champix but went for patches. I must love being covered in bright red squares and itching all day.

• Hope2Nope likes this

fd7749bcb2.png

And in the end

The love you take

#9 Rozuki

Rozuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-10
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:55 AM

Hi Orca,

I started with the patch while I was in hospital. RN gave me the 21 mg for 3 days, then told me they didn't have anymore 21 mg so I was given the 14 mg for the 5 more days I was there. 

Once I actually went and bought my own supply of patches (and read the directions!), I stayed with the 14 mg for the next 8 weeks, then decided to stay at that level for 2 more weeks before stepping down to the 7 mg. I have 4 more days  at 7 mg left and then I will see how I deal with no patch at all! Through it all I have found it helps to stay hydrated!!

I do have some nicotine gum (which I don't like) and nicotine lozenges, just in case I turn into a tantrum-throwing, cranky witch w/o a patch on my arm..... :wacko:  :angry:  :o   

• Orca likes this

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

Don't romance the cigarette. It's all a "pack of lies". ~ IQuit88

#10 Orca

Orca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

Thanks Rozuki! I don't like the gum either. I moved down to the 14mg patch today after 2 weeks on the 21mg. Doing ok so far. Thanks again!

• Rozuki likes this

fd7749bcb2.png

And in the end

The love you take

#11 Orca

Orca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

Just as an update.....I moved onto the lower dose yesterday (after 2 weeks of the higher dose)  and felt no different' I actually felt better, not sure why. I have had quite a few side effects from the patches and they have lessened quite a lot. The patch area isn't as inflamed, not as itchy and definitely not feeling as squeamish as I did before. I will stick with these patches for a week, maybe 2 then move to the smallest patches. Then......get rid of the poison once and for all. 

• Maureen likes this

fd7749bcb2.png

And in the end

The love you take

#12 hellkat

hellkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-04
  • Locationdrifting where the winds take me

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:10 AM

I'm a patch user, cool turkey is working for me now. I actually stopped tonight and picked up a new box of the 21mg just a different brand. Walgreens was out of the Nicoderm and their brand was buy one get one 50% off - so I have 4 wks worth and it cost me the same as 1 box of the brand name. I just hope they work the same. I was reading in the brand vs generic and adhesive issues were the only main difference that seemed to come up so I'll be packing some sports tape just in case.

I dont know if I'll continue to use them for as long as they recommend but I do plan to stay on step 1 at least until I hit the one month mark. After that I'll cut one to 3/4's and see how I do. I may even try to go a day without one and see how it goes & keep a back up in my purse just in case. I know eventually I will have to let this safety net go, but until then just looking at every red square on my body helps me keep my quit.

• marciem and Orca like this

30ksjlf.jpg

#13 hellkat

hellkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-04

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

Just an update on this brand. Yes it does pack the same punch as the brand name and Yes I did need the tape to keep it on my arm by the end of the day. It lasted about 10hrs and then started to lift around the edges and slide. Today I'm trying it on my leg to see if that makes a difference. Besides unless my arms are covered I don't want to have all this tape showing.

I did wait as long as I could this AM before I put it on just to see how I'd do without it. I made thru 1/2 a cup of coffee then I slapped the sucker on.  

• Orca likes this

30ksjlf.jpg

#14 Orca

Orca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

You're doing well hellkat.The patches are annoying but they do work. Beware about having a day without one as they are slow release so if you struggle and have to put one on, it won't give you a boost for a little while. Keep it up fellow blotcher.

• hellkat likes this

fd7749bcb2.png

And in the end

The love you take

#15 hellkat

hellkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-04

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

So now that I'm bit longer into my quit I've decided to go patchless just for the day. I do have a spare in my purse just in case - but I really want to see if it's mind over matter. So far it's been 5hrs and I haven't noticed anything different. Interesting......I'll check in at the end of the day and let you know if I had to break out the spare!

• Jillar, Maureen and Orca like this

30ksjlf.jpg

#16 hellkat

hellkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-04

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

Well it's day 2 without the patch and so far so good. After reading everything about NRTs if I can make it thru the today and tomorrow I wont have to rely on that release anymore - just my own self control. I'd much rather get this part over with now then get so far and have to deal with withdrawls again. The weekend will be the biggest test I think but hopefully by then I'll have this down a bit better.

• Maureen and Orca like this

30ksjlf.jpg

#17 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

3151gsy.jpg

• Maureen and Orca like this

1485676801_25_1_USD_13_whitesec.png

#18 Orca

Orca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:53 AM

I’ve not been posting too much on here as of late for various reasons but thought I’d update as to where I’m at on my quit. I stopped smoking on the 16th May and started using patches. Instead of using the high strength patches for the recommended 6 weeks, I used them for 3 weeks. The step down went fine and I noticed little difference really. After another 2 weeks I stepped down again. This time I noticed the difference but it was fine. I was planning to use the smallest patch for 2 weeks but forgot to put one on at the start of the second week. I struggled a bit that day but as bad as I thought I would. So I didn’t bother putting one on the next day. I managed to cope with that day also. Then the 3rd day came and it kicked my ass. No idea what changed but it wasn’t good. Day 4 wasn’t much better. Day 5 was an improvement but still a little…arrrgghhhh.

Today is day 6 without any patches and I have no idea how it will go but I am glad I’m nicotine free. I believe the patches helped me. They gave me some breathing space to reprogram my brain and break the mental habits. However, I’m not sure much better I am in relation to the physical cravings. The patches slowly dropped the nicotine levels in my body over a period of 6 weeks but the cravings were still really strong when I discarded the patches. A big part of me feels that I would be in a better place right now if I had just went cold turkey from the start. I feel like I may have prolonged things a bit with the patches but who knows. Right now I still feel very on edge and anxious. I’m hoping this will go away soon. Feel like I’ve lost my way a little. I have no intention of smoking but it is a struggle. Ah well, at least I’m not having to try and not smoke. I took the option to smoke off the table at the start and that is what’s getting me through this.

• green meenie and Rozuki like this

fd7749bcb2.png

And in the end

The love you take

#19 Despair Not

Despair Not

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-21

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

Orca

Your going strong stay with it.

Its like you've done 6 days CT the Nicotines out of your system.

Things will only get better now.

Stay strong you have plenty of challenges ahead still.

• Orca likes this
"Get busy living or get busy dying"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

#20 Orca

Orca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Despair Not. On a previous quit years ago, I did cold turkey from the start and I really see very little difference between that CT and this CT even though I've been stepping down in patches for 6 weeks. Well, it's done now. I may have to invest in shares of bubble gum. I'm going through tonnes of it. Thanks again.

fd7749bcb2.png

And in the end

The love you take

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users