Photo

Officially 1 year Nicotine Free (yesterday)

depression adhd anxiety free

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 4Vaska

4Vaska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-12
  • LocationCalgary and Yellowknife

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hey everyone,

sorry for the long long silence. No, I haven't relapsed! Just been busy with life, work, and the random stuff that life throws at one.

Last night my phone beeped a reminder:

"One Year Nictone Free"

Officially I smoked my last nicotine stick on the 12th May, but I kicked the nico-replacement inhaler on the 21st May.

So, here I am. Celebrating. 1 year. No more nicotine.

It was one heck of a rough ride. For anyone with underlying conditions (depression, ADHD, anxiety, autism, for me) quitting  nicotine is extra hard.

But doable.

1) Get support :) it shall be done! Family, friends, online, doctors, counsellors, pastor, imams, rabbis, etc. Do what works for you.

2) Also get replacement habits in place prior to quit. Something that takes about the same time to finish a cig, and you like immensely. For me it's reading (read about 43 books last year), and languages (I polished up my Dutch, German and Spanish with Duolingo app on my phone).

3) Acknowledge that it'll be a bumpy road. Some days are easier than others. Courage is being able to say "this day blows, I'm gonna throw in the towel for now, and try again better tomorrow"

4) When (if) you relapse, or thinking about it, SOS. Talk to your doctor/psyc/counsellor. For me it's easier to talk about it with a medical practitioner than opening up in a forum.

5) Keep at it! Even if you fell off the wagon, tell yourself "You made a decision to quit! Now quit again!" I relapsed about 3 times after making decision to quit, before it stuck (and after my psych adjusted my meds). Some people need more attempts than others. Keep. At. It.

6) Be nice to yourself during your quit. We've done enough self harm by smoking..... it's kinda naive to think that your body will recover in days/weeks. For some longer term smoker, you'll see the benefits after a year or so! I certainly do :)

7) Love yourself. For me smoking is a form of controlled self harm that took months of therapy to uncover the reasons for it. Now that I've worked through some of the psychological reasons, it's easier to maintain the quit. Find out your "why", and work on it. Even if you relapse, love yourself, and work on quit again. And reward yourself. Every day that you don't smoke deserves a reward.

My reward for 1 yr Nictone Free:
20170522_161154.jpg

Love you all!

I'll check in more often. Kinda in a middle of a lot of coding assignments, and I know I can spend a whole day here..... but I got stuff to hand in tomorrow LOL.

XOXOXOXOX

• avian3, Kikikins, MissyCat and 9 others like this

1463043600_5_1_USD_5.00_default.png

#2 Kikikins

Kikikins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-05-22
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:27 PM

Wonderful!  Congrats!  Excellent advice and excellent reward =)

• 4Vaska likes this

-K
*A PROUD 2014 AVENGER*

'Just because you can doesn't mean you should.'
---
Stay Strong & HTFU
(Harden The F*ck Up)

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,256 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:30 PM

Congrats again my friend! :)
  • 4Vaska likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,298 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:30 PM

Congratulations, 4Vaska!!  One year totally nicotine free is really ONE-derful!!.

I have to ask.... you bought yourself  a Lego set for a prize? ?? ? ?? :blink:  :blink:  Or is that a trip on the next moon spaceship?

Whatever makes you happy :)   and keeps you busy...

• 4Vaska, Lust4Life and beazel like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#5 Lust4Life

Lust4Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-26
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

Awesome 4vaska!
  • 4Vaska likes this

KMQ since September 26, 2016.  One N O P E at a time.  :grin: 

#6 johnny5

johnny5

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,792 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-16
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:34 PM

Wonderful post, 4V!  Congratulations on 1 year nicotine free!  :)

• 4Vaska likes this

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. - Marvitta

I didn't quit smoking to live longer, I did it to live better. - jwg

event.png

2j3342d.jpg

#7 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,036 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, 4Vaska, on your 1 year smoke free!!

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#8 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,613 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

Hey everyone,

sorry for the long long silence. No, I haven't relapsed! Just been busy with life, work, and the random stuff that life throws at one.

Last night my phone beeped a reminder:

"One Year Nictone Free"

Officially I smoked my last nicotine stick on the 12th May, but I kicked the nico-replacement inhaler on the 21st May.

So, here I am. Celebrating. 1 year. No more nicotine.

It was one heck of a rough ride. For anyone with underlying conditions (depression, ADHD, anxiety, autism, for me) quitting  nicotine is extra hard.

But doable.

1) Get support :) it shall be done! Family, friends, online, doctors, counsellors, pastor, imams, rabbis, etc. Do what works for you.

2) Also get replacement habits in place prior to quit. Something that takes about the same time to finish a cig, and you like immensely. For me it's reading (read about 43 books last year), and languages (I polished up my Dutch, German and Spanish with Duolingo app on my phone).

3) Acknowledge that it'll be a bumpy road. Some days are easier than others. Courage is being able to say "this day blows, I'm gonna throw in the towel for now, and try again better tomorrow"

4) When (if) you relapse, or thinking about it, SOS. Talk to your doctor/psyc/counsellor. For me it's easier to talk about it with a medical practitioner than opening up in a forum.

5) Keep at it! Even if you fell off the wagon, tell yourself "You made a decision to quit! Now quit again!" I relapsed about 3 times after making decision to quit, before it stuck (and after my psych adjusted my meds). Some people need more attempts than others. Keep. At. It.

6) Be nice to yourself during your quit. We've done enough self harm by smoking..... it's kinda naive to think that your body will recover in days/weeks. For some longer term smoker, you'll see the benefits after a year or so! I certainly do :)

7) Love yourself. For me smoking is a form of controlled self harm that took months of therapy to uncover the reasons for it. Now that I've worked through some of the psychological reasons, it's easier to maintain the quit. Find out your "why", and work on it. Even if you relapse, love yourself, and work on quit again. And reward yourself. Every day that you don't smoke deserves a reward.

My reward for 1 yr Nictone Free:
20170522_161154.jpg

Love you all!

I'll check in more often. Kinda in a middle of a lot of coding assignments, and I know I can spend a whole day here..... but I got stuff to hand in tomorrow LOL.

XOXOXOXOX

Congratulations!  And don't miss the party we threw for you!!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#9 Maureen

Maureen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:35 PM

Wonderful post - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Quit Date: July 27, 2017               

#10 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for checking in with us 4Vaska. We love hearing success stories like yours. Your party was awesome, so sorry you missed it.

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#11 beazel

beazel

Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:12 AM

Congratulations & Thank You picgifs-hearts-9460196.gif

2iijyuf.pngYoung Pharte     smokefree-1.png

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 loveshower.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye

Life's too short, don't make it shorter. - Jess 

#12 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,256 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:28 AM

Why on earth would you want to play +/- as a newbie still?! You earned your old pharte title so take the privileges that go with it girl, lol.

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#13 Autumn

Autumn

~moth~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:38 AM

"For me smoking is a form of controlled self harm that took months of therapy to uncover the reasons for it. Now that I've worked through some of the psychological reasons, it's easier to maintain the quit. Find out your "why", and work on it. Even if you relapse, love yourself, and work on quit again. And reward yourself. Every day that you don't smoke deserves a reward."

Thank you for saying this. It is so so important to a healthy quit to not just understand how to stop what we're doing, but to understand why we did it in the first place. Treating the disease instead of just taking care of the symptoms. Congrats, and a great post. :)

• Jillar and Electrick2 like this

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#14 Hope2Nope

Hope2Nope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,968 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-31
  • LocationSea of Tranquility

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

Congratulations once again 4Vaska! Wonderful post :)

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#15 Mollie1

Mollie1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-07
  • LocationSan Francisco Peninsula

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing - Such good advice.

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

#16 T.C.

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

Very well done.  You should be rightfully very proud of yourself. :smile:

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2015

#17 4Vaska

4Vaska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-12

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:16 AM

Wonderful!  Congrats!  Excellent advice and excellent reward =)

Lego = brain candy! :D

Congrats again my friend! :)

Thanks :) Some anniversaries are harder to celebrate, though.

But still, 1 year no nicotine. That is a Grill Cheese Sammich Event, that is!

Congratulations, 4Vaska!!  One year totally nicotine free is really ONE-derful!!.

I have to ask.... you bought yourself  a Lego set for a prize? ?? ? ?? :blink:  :blink:  Or is that a trip on the next moon spaceship?

Whatever makes you happy :)   and keeps you busy...

I had to think about it for a bit. I think it's me celebrating reconnecting to the younger, pre-smoker me, in some symbolic way. Return to thinking of exploring Other Limits. Someone (I forgotten who) posted once on the board that "You have successfully quit smoking; you can do anything!".

Boldly go where No One has Gone Before.

For now Making a Triple layer grilled cheese sandwich sounds like a mighty good idea.

• marciem and Electrick2 like this

#18 4Vaska

4Vaska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-12

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:19 AM

Awesome 4vaska!

Thanks!! :D

Wonderful post, 4V!  Congratulations on 1 year nicotine free!  :)

Feels good to be able to say that, finally! :) Thanks J5

CONGRATULATIONS, 4Vaska, on your 1 year smoke free!!

Thanks Avian!

• avian3 likes this

#19 4Vaska

4Vaska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-12

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:22 AM

Nancy, Thanks! I'm embarassed that I missed my own party hahahahaaa. Better late than never I guess. :)

Wonderful post - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thanks Freely. You will get there! One day at a time. That's the secret.

Thanks for checking in with us 4Vaska. We love hearing success stories like yours. Your party was awesome, so sorry you missed it.

Hehehee... I'd forget my own head if it's not attached to my body. I'll peek into the Party Thread later tonight.

#20 d2e8b8

d2e8b8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-17
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:23 AM

Congratulations on the big one , my friend!

Going somewhere? Space station or a one way ticket to Mars?
  • 4Vaska likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, adhd, anxiety, free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users