Photo

I am 16 year-old planning to quit smoking

minor cold turkey cold minor smoker smoke cigarette nicorette quit quitting planning to quit

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 kimjihoon5924

kimjihoon5924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Hello, I am a 16 year old smoker to have been smoking for a 1 1/2 years (I know I am a minor and I deeply feel regret over my past actions). I have been trying to quit several times in the past with the accompaniment of some nicotine supplements like Nicorette but I have realized Nicorette won't hold me back from starting to smoke again. I am still smoking as I am doing my Cambridge IGCSE's (An examination system to enter college) and withdrawal symptoms disturb me during study and exam sessions. However, from 7th June 2017, my last exam date, I am planning to quit cold turkey, without Nicorette or cigarette reduction. I have been smoking at least 5-8 sticks per day on average and I even smoked up to a 1 1/2 pack a day for the past 1 1/2 year. I want to get rid of my cigarette craving once and for all before my admission into college (January 2018) which means I have at least 6 months. Is 6 months enough to get rid of nicotine dependency? I am planning to use traditional Korean mints (Really strong flavor and has traditional medications to relieve cigarette withdrawal symptoms) called Eun-dan or Jin Tan silver pills in the west. Or I am planning to use strong mints. Thank you for reading and I sincerely apologize to all of the readers who felt discomforted or annoyed reading my post due the fact that I am a minor smoker.  :|

• MissyCat and Electrick2 like this

#2 beazel

beazel

DramaMama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,083 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hi kimjihoon & welcome!

Most of us started when we were very young, so don't feel like it will shock us.

I think it will probably excite most of us that you made the decision to quit at your age. What a difference it will make in all aspects of your life !!

Please start by reading the newbie package pinned at the top of the main board.

So happy you found us.

• JustaGuy, MissyCat, Jillar and 1 other like this

2iijyuf.pngTweenie      

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017 smileys-waving-606884.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom

In the world of addiction, we leave "normal" behind.  - Mike Piano  

Would be a shame for a second's weakness to undo all this hard work. - sgraye                                                              

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,928 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

Welcome kim and congrats on quitting at such a young age. Doing so will save you so many health issues later in life, in fact I wish I had of been as smart as you when I was your age :) Please don't think your age is a factor at being a part of our board. Smoking has no age limits as you already know. While you are planning your quit, a few things I did were to stop smoking anywhere I was used to smoking. This will help you disassociate those places and hopefully reduce any craves that come from being in those areas. I also stocked up on sweets as our glucose gets a little wacky for a bit and you will find yourself craving something sweet. Drinking lots a water is also a must. 

Other than that, read, read, read about this addiction. Many people have found Alan Carrs book a huge help with their quits. We also have a great newbie package pinned to the main board that will REALLY help.

Again welcome and this thread will probably be moved to the main board as these sub forums dont get a lot of traffic and there are a bunch of people over on that board who would love to meet you :)

• JustaGuy, MissyCat, Electrick2 and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 robrr44

robrr44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationHanover, PA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Great decision to quit!!!  A mature and very forward looking decision for such a young person.  Congratulations on that!  Just do it.  Read, read, read the newbie info and just commit to removing smoking from your life.  NOPE.  You can do it and doing it now will make many of us extremely jealous but our support will never waiver.  

• JustaGuy, Jillar, beazel and 1 other like this

30ksjlf.jpg30ksjlf.jpgQuit Date: 4/23/17

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#5 kimjihoon5924

kimjihoon5924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

Thank you all for such warm welcome and encouragement!  :grin:

• MissyCat and Maureen like this

#6 GraceLove

GraceLove

Truly Free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-08
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

I wish I would have quit at 16. You can do this. You don't want to end up our age regretting years of poisoning yourself. 

We are here for you.

• beazel likes this

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#7 Nina the Quitter

Nina the Quitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-03
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Welcome Kim, congratulations on your decision to quit.  The fact that you're a minor only inspires us more to help you make your quit a success.  I'm 60 years old and have been smoking a pack a day for 45 years, I know you can't imagine that, but believe me, it can happen.

Stay strong in your quit and please consider starting your quit now.  I know you think you can't do it because of exams and getting ready for college, but it is possible especially for someone as smart as you seem to be.

Either way stay close to this board and let us help you, we would love to take a lifelong smoker away from the big tobacco companies.

• Jillar, Electrick2, Catrina and 1 other like this

c927346466.png

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

Never smokers take not smoking for granted, we quitters know the real value of being a nonsmoker.

#8 Hope2Nope

Hope2Nope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,299 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-31
  • LocationSea of Tranquility

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Great decision to quit! Just do it!

• kimjihoon5924 likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#9 kimjihoon5924

kimjihoon5924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

Welcome Kim, congratulations on your decision to quit.  The fact that your a minor only inspires us more to help you make your quit a success.  I'm 60 years old and have been smoking a pack a day for 45 years, I know you can't imagine that, but believe me, it can happen.

Stay strong in your quit and please consider starting your quit now.  I know you think you can't do it because of exams and getting ready for college, but it is possible especially for someone as smart as you seem to be.

Either way stay close to this board and let us help you, we would love to take a lifelong smoker away from the big tobacco companies.

After reconsideration, starting tomorrow. After all the failures in the past trying to quit, I have realized it is mostly a mental matter, rather than physical. No point on delaying what eventually has to come. Whether I am truly determined to make a change for the better future.  :mrgreen:

• Frank, GraceLove, MissyCat and 5 others like this

#10 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,928 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

That is a great change of plans :)

• kimjihoon5924 likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#11 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,294 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

So glad you found us Kim!

Stay close, read and post often. You will find amazing support here at QSMB!
  • Jillar and kimjihoon5924 like this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413806400_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#12 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:01 PM

After reconsideration, starting tomorrow. After all the failures in the past trying to quit, I have realized it is mostly a mental matter, rather than physical. No point on delaying what eventually has to come. Whether I am truly determined to make a change for the better future.  :mrgreen:

Atta boy !  Welcome to QSMB.  The title of the youngest member to quit is yours now, take care and make yourself proud.

• JustaGuy, beazel and kimjihoon5924 like this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#13 Nina the Quitter

Nina the Quitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-03
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

I knew you had it in you.  Now take it one hour, one day, one week at a time.  Let's concentrate on that first day.  I was so sure I couldn't quit, that I didn't even try, when I did, it was a lot easier than I had imagined. It was hard, but not pulling my hair out hard.  Read and get ready, you've go this.  Have a plan for when you get a craving, I would get on the tread mill, and walk some until I couldn't breathe (about 30 seconds the first time), can't smoke that way.

• Frank, Electrick2, Catrina and 1 other like this

c927346466.png

30ksjlf.jpg

Never smokers take not smoking for granted, we quitters know the real value of being a nonsmoker.

#14 Kazza

Kazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-01
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

Great to see a smart young person with the intelligence and forsight to be sensible and GIVE UP at such a young age!!
Well done ... I do wish I had been like you.
Stuck close here we are here to help and support each other no matter how old we are. No judgement just the motivation to NOPE
  • JustaGuy, Jillar, Electrick2 and 2 others like this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2016

#15 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

If you would ask most of us here.. If you could go back in time, What would you do different ? I bet the most common answer would be; I woudn't ever start smoking or I would've quit when I was very young.
This is your chance to not become one years later and have the same answers we do today.
  • Lone Goose, Nina the Quitter and kimjihoon5924 like this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#16 kimjihoon5924

kimjihoon5924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

Atta girl !  Welcome to QSMB.  The title of the youngest member to quit is yours now, take care and make yourself proud.

A boy by the way  :smile:

• Frank and Jillar like this

#17 Electrick2

Electrick2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationNorthern Canada

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Good for you.
You know you can do this.

Like you said it's mostly mental.
You're young and smart.

Now you have to get tough.
Make us proud.
  • JustaGuy, Jillar, Nina the Quitter and 1 other like this
Quit date: July 13,2016
MrsMelanie: Life isn't always how we hope it will be, but it's not worth smoking for.

Barry the Smoke says only you can prevent face fires.

#18 Maureen

Maureen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

I've always said that the biggest mistake of my life was to start smoking.

Don't be me.

Welcome!

• Frank, Electrick2, Catrina and 2 others like this

Quit Date: July 27, 2017               

#19 Nina the Quitter

Nina the Quitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-03
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Good morning kimjihoon, how are you doing?  Have you started your quit yet?

Just take it one hour at a time, if you are strong you can do this.

• Electrick2 likes this

c927346466.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#20 kimjihoon5924

kimjihoon5924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

Good morning kimjihoon, how are you doing?  Have you started your quit yet?

Just take it one hour at a time, if you are strong you can do this.

It is currently night here. Surprisingly, did pretty well today. No cigs but lots of strong mint, a bit too much sugar haha 

*Buddhist meditations are helping me a lot. I don't know whether its just Placebo effect but it actually refrains me from craving

• Frank, MissyCat, Electrick2 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minor, cold turkey, cold, minor smoker, smoke, cigarette, nicorette, quit, quitting, planning to quit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users