13 replies to this topic

#1 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

I have a question for you guys. Today I'm 5 weeks quit with patches and I didn't put my patch on straight away this morning and had a massive craving and I don't usually get them. My quit counsellor said it will be easy to come off the patch and now I'm a little worried it isn't. How did people go with coming off patches?

• Maureen likes this

Quit date Thursday 8th June. 2017, 10.10am AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

#2 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,502 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:26 PM

I am going to move this to the main board where more will see it. I don't know anything about patches.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#3 Maureen

Maureen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:31 PM

Hmm. I'm not sure. Mine came off in my sleep last night and I felt nothing unfortunate. I guess it might depend on what mg you are currently using.

I can't say for sure though.

I'm still on mine and will continue or my doctor will kick my arse. I hope someone is more helpful than me on this one. Stay on it until you know for sure.

If one comes off, replace it asap.

• Smokefreetoday and giveintowin like this

Quit Date: July 27, 2017               

#4 putnaminn

putnaminn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-24
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:36 PM

My experience with patches was the following. I started with the 21 mg patch, then I went to the 14 mg half way through the 14's I would forget to put them on and then I would put it on and then I would forget again. I never made it to the 7 mg as I didn't need them. Play it by ear, do what you have to do to hold your quit you will know when it is time to stop the patches. Keep up the good work you are doing fantastic. :)
  • Smokefreetoday, MInnMuldoon, giveintowin and 1 other like this
event.png
image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

#5 JimHannoonen

JimHannoonen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:36 PM

I don't really know much about patches (other than that they hadn't worked for me in the past), but regardless of when you come off the patch, you're going to have to go through nicotine withdrawal, so you're going to need to be ready for that.

• Jillar and giveintowin like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

#6 ClaireP1973

ClaireP1973

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-18
  • LocationSheffield UK

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:07 AM

I haven't used patches, so I'm not sure. I used a nocotine inhalator. The last cartridge was changed 10 days ago, so it's finished back then. I keep it it as an air cigarette and that helped. Rarely use it now. Keep up the good work!
  • Smokefreetoday and giveintowin like this

#7 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,368 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

I have a question for you guys. Today I'm 5 weeks quit with patches and I didn't put my patch on straight away this morning and had a massive craving and I don't usually get them. My quit counsellor said it will be easy to come off the patch and now I'm a little worried it isn't. How did people go with coming off patches?

You are still putting nicotine in your body, so isn't it understandable that you would have a craving when you cut off the supply?  I assume you have another level of step down on the patches?  The important thing is to not smoke!!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#8 putnaminn

putnaminn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-24
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:13 AM

There are 3 levels with the patch. They worked for me. As you lower your levels it becomes easier to go through the withdrawals. You have pretty much come to an understanding as to not doing the hand and mouth thing along with getting rid of the nicotine by gradually going down in the levels Like I said I never made it to level 7 mg as I was forgetting to put them on when I got half way through the level 14's. I just wish that I would have stayed with that quit. My failure wasn't because of the patch, I had gone a long time without smoking that like an idiot I decided I could just smoke one, which never happened they multiplied and wella back to smoking I went.

I am hoping with the support of this board and all that are here pulling for us that this will be my final quit. I am hoping I can stay with Chantix as it is helping.
  • Jillar, Catrina, giveintowin and 1 other like this
event.png
image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

#9 Lucy1

Lucy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • quitdate:
    2001-01-15
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:59 AM

Food for thought for you, as I'm not seeing my experience reflected in the responses you've gotten so far.  II erred on the side of caution.  I used the patch and supplemented with the gum and I tapered off both very gradually. A little over 4 months in all.  I don't regret the approach I used.  Its been over 

• Smokefreetoday, giveintowin and Maureen like this

#10 Lucy1

Lucy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • quitdate:
    2001-01-15
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

TSK  that posted before I was done!  All I wanted to add is that ...

It has been more than 15 years since I quit smoking. It doesn't really matter how I used NRT or how much or how long I used it !

Do whatever you need to do to care for and nurture your quit and set yourself up for success.  

Cheers!

Lucy

• Nancy., Smokefreetoday, Jillar and 2 others like this

#11 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

As mentioned above the single most important thing is to keep quit.  Smoking is not an option.  

• giveintowin likes this

#12 susiq

susiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-21
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

I used the patches. After wearing the 7 mg, for two weeks, I was able to stop completely. Withdrawal wasnt bad. I was stronger than the urge to smoke. If I had to rate the toughness of coming off of the patch and flying solo, on a scale of 1- 10, it was a 4. Good luck.

• giveintowin and Maureen like this
event.png

On your iPhone/iPod Touch:

Ticker iCode: dmeqbn
Use it on the download tab of the Ticker Factory App for iPhone and iPod Touch available on the Apple App Store.

Cut and paste code for most boards and web pages:

bbCode:
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based boards, Invision Power Board, vBulletin...)

HTML:
(on MySpace, MSN, Web pages, Blogs...)

Direct Image URL:

#13 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,066 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

GITW,  are you taking off the patches before putting another? Watch it, you will ran out of skin if you don't. 

You haven't smoke in 5 weeks,   a crave is a crave and NOT A COMMAND to smoke. You'll be fine!  

• giveintowin likes this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#14 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:31 AM

GITW, are you taking off the patches before putting another? Watch it, you will ran out of skin if you don't.

You haven't smoke in 5 weeks, a crave is a crave and NOT A COMMAND to smoke. You'll be fine!

Ha ha Frank.
  • Frank likes this

Quit date Thursday 8th June. 2017, 10.10am AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users