2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

Pack a day for 30 years.

It's pretty rad being a non-smoker. :)

• NOPEster and Jennet like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

#22 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,283 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

This thread reminded me of this post by JWG...

She Was 16 and Beautiful

April, I'm so happy you didn't wait any longer, like most of us did!!

• johnny5 and JimHannoonen like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#23 GraceLove

GraceLove

Truly Free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-08
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

I smoked off and on since I was 15. I think during that time I had probably 18 solid years of 3/4 a pack to a full pack a day.

I am so happy to never add another year to that total.

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#24 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

Started at 14 stopped at 22 when My son was conceived, started again at 30 something to 58.

#25 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

I am wondering how long people here smoked for. I smoked for 30 years and get nervous about this catching up with me with something like COPD, lung cancer etc. My last x-ray showed some signs of emphysema. I didn't follow it up to see how bad it was because my breathing seemed ok.  It's funny how I foolish now feel about smoking for so long since I quit. It's almost like that 30 years flew by. I meant to quit sooner but I just stopped a number of times and started again.

This is truly a silly addiction. I heard Alan Carr say that no-one makes a conscious decision to be a smoker. It just happens from having the first one or two and then people get hooked. But they never actually decided ever to be a lifelong smoker or a long term smoker. :sad:

You have stopped, and you are giving yourself the best chance at a better rest of your life.

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#26 Cookie9876

Cookie9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

14 years at 41.50 pper pack of 50 its insane i continued to pay that every 2 day 20 dollars for 7 days of patches much better
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2017

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

#27 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

Let's just say, I have saved a shipload of money and gained a shipload of life since I stopped the madness of smoking.

• oahusurfer82 and Jennet like this

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#28 Pearlie

Pearlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-13
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

38 years...over 250,000 cigarettes smoked...unbelievable!  Still can't believe I gave it up!!  Pinch me!   :)

• Hope2Nope and Jennet like this
event.png

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER.  It does not stand for Not One Puff EXCEPT.  ~breath

#29 DaveH

DaveH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-31
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

I can't even begin to figure this out. Off and on since I was 17. And now I'm 67 with the mind of a 4 year old.  I was going to quit when our kids were born. Then when they got married. Then when the first grand kid showed up. Then the next one. And so on. I really am a stupid ass for not getting off my ass and stopping this years ago when all my friends did. I work with about 150 other folks and now I have quit there is only 1 smoker among us. Yet it took me all this time to get the message. What a moron!

• Pearlie and beazel like this

#30 Autumn

Autumn

~moth~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:23 PM

This thread reminded me of this post by JWG...

She Was 16 and Beautiful

April, I'm so happy you didn't wait any longer, like most of us did!!

Who's April? :P

• marciem likes this

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#31 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,283 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

LOL YOU are... from now on except when you're Autumn.  That work for you?  Hey, after all, you ARE younger than springtime :)  .

I'm really sorry about the mistake :(  ... a... april  a... autumn maybe next time you'll be August which is closer to autumn...

• Frank, Jillar, Autumn and 1 other like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#32 Autumn

Autumn

~moth~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

LOL YOU are... from now on except when you're Autumn.  That work for you?  Hey, after all, you ARE younger than springtime :)  .

I'm really sorry about the mistake :(  ... a... april  a... autumn maybe next time you'll be August which is closer to autumn...

Well, with the way I eat chocolate...

giphy.gif

• marciem, Jillar and Japan4 like this

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#33 CWW

CWW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-30

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

20 years at least a pack a day. Boy oh boy does it feels amazing not to be a slave anymore to my former master nicotine! Woot woot for all of my NOPE peeps!!!
  • Catrina and Lone Goose like this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

#34 neverstopdoing

neverstopdoing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-18
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

16 years for me. Started when I was 16 and quit at 32. It's one of the hardest things I've done but also one of the best.

event.png

#35 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

April is Autumn in some parts of the world, South portion of South America for example.

• marciem, Jillar, Autumn and 1 other like this

#36 susiq

susiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

a pack a day for 40 years     ugh

#37 oahusurfer82

oahusurfer82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

I probably averaged about 11 or 12 (i.e., just over half-a-pack) light menthol cigarettes a day--for 33 years.  During some "heavy" stretches it was nearly a pack-a-day.  During light stretches, it was about 7 or 8 sticks a day.  

I guess I was never a "heavy" smoker.  But I was a long-time smoker nevertheless.  Regardless what the future holds (*knock on wood*), quitting smoking is the best thing I could have done for myself.   

#38 Jennet

Jennet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-20
  • LocationOut there somewhere in the UK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

Since I was 12.....   48 years in a few months......  what an idiot!

• Catrina, giveintowin and Lone Goose like this

Older than dust.......    :P 

Stopped smoking for 2nd time 20th Dec 2017 @ 17:45pm after putting out my last fag!   Was  9mths, 2wks, 5days, 1hr and 31 minutes previously, and had saved £3,085 approximately....   Crikey... what did I do with all that money....   All I know is that I spent it!!

th_penguins.gif   th_tiny.jpg th_Nope.gif th_happydancenun.gif

30ksjlf.jpg        th_sisyphus.gif     Not One Puff Ever again.....

Cigarettes were never the anchors in our lives that hold us steady....  they were the ropes that kept us tied to the dock while life sailed by! - jwg

It is not because you quit...it is because you smoked.  It will pass! -  Nancy

#39 RJR

RJR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

I smoked a pack to a pack and a half per day for 46 years.
  • giveintowin likes this
1508047201_30_1_USD_5_blacksec.png

#40 jpitter

jpitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-13

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

Pack a day or so for 17 years