• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 B.alyssa

B.alyssa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

Hello, a question to my fellow Chantix users. Now, I onow it says not to drink while taking Chantix, however I have a friend who also used Chantix to quit a while back and they still drank while on Chantix with no adverse side effects. I'm wondering if this is normal?

#2 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

Follow directions on the label. Don't play Russian roulette. You can abstain from alcohol for awhile, can't you?

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#3 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:27 PM

So you spoke to your Doctor and you read the directions and both said NO !!  so you came here hoping for a YES or Maybe??

Not a good thing,   SCARY 

#4 GraceLove

GraceLove

Truly Free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-08
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

Never drink alcohol while on prescription meds that say "do not drink alcohol while taking". This can have severe consequences...of course not every person will have an adverse reaction BUT do you want to take the chance? I know a guy who often drank on a certain med...no reaction...until one day there was...he ended up in jail for two weeks for doing things he doesn't remember. Certain combos (rx and alcohol) can also affect your respiratory system...as in you STOP BREATHING.

Don't risk it. Not worth it.

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#5 B.alyssa

B.alyssa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

I live in Wisconsin, going out for a beer is just something we do. But no, I'm not drinking at all right now. And actually the doctor said nothing about drinking when I went in... I was just wondering if anyone else did that and what happened to them. I like my Sunday fundays, but they will be one of my biggest triggers to smoke since so many people I know do. Guess I'm drinkin soda in the meantime...

#6 bayougirl

bayougirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-09

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

Just wanted to chime in on drinking and Chantix.  I took Chantix and was fine drinking, until I wasn't. The last couple of times I drank was awful.  Total blackout and I didn't over drink.  It was scary. I didn't remember a thing and the people I was with told me I behaved normally, I just couldn't remember anything! I had been taking it for about 3 1/2 months when these episodes took place.  I am now off Chantix because of this and the fact that I seemed not myself.  I was also only taking 1 pill in the morning per day because if I took 2 I couldn't sleep.

I am not saying it didn't help me quit smoking because it did.  I just wouldn't push the envelope with the alcohol again. 

Beware....if it says refrain from drinking, there is probably a reason.  I should have heeded the warning.  Don't chance it yourself.

• Jenni likes this

30ksjlf.jpgimage.png?base_img=6&size=1&date_yr=2017

#7 B.alyssa

B.alyssa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:02 AM

I'm doing good on it. Thanks for the advice.

#8 Jenni

Jenni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-03-17
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:34 PM

I know I'm late to the "game" here but I've been off the site for a looooong time :-) I'm sure you are beyond this but for anyone else who comes along...

I took Chantix back when I think there were "cautions" about alcohol, and I drank a few beers one night and was BLACKOUT drunk. It was scary. I chose not to drink and stay on Chantix and I give it much credit for helping me get free!

kSVEm7.png  zodohy.jpg  
                     Proud member of the 2015 BadAshes! Live long and prosper!
 Great Resources
Dear QSMB Newcomer - An important FIRST READ for getting a sense of the community here | The Newbie Package - An overwhelming treasure trove of links and education. Just pick one and start learning | Anything posted by Eric. Literally ANYTHING he wrote blows me away. | Many of the posts by cookielinda - but you have to weed through a lot to find the gold | And for a bit of self-promotion, my post of Quit Inspiration songs :smile:

1426568400_13_1_USD_7_dark.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users