Photo

Was Kicking around about what Vitamins I should Take AQ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

Just took my usual vitamins, and then started to wonder am I taking the right stuff?  I mean when you smoke all kinds of stuff happens Vitamins and minerals are expelled or depleted.  Like the leg cramps we get when low on Potassium, So I started hunting around the net and found some pretty interesting information that I felt I should share.  Take a look  and  say what you think !

http://www.mcvitamin...nts/smoking.htm

23qyl3q.jpg

:roll:  RESPECT ME AND I'LL RESPECT YOU :roll:
eb54ep.jpg

c7a7513d68.png

1488429001_5_1_USD_8_whitesec.png

#2 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

Looks like have to check out my Vitamins, dropped My B vitamins,  OOOOPs  Never really took C vitamins,  OOOOOOOps

Have no Idea what or how to get selenium or Magnesium,  but I do have Potassium?    I do think all the Cranberry juice and Acui berry supplements I take are full of antioxidants.   But was this for when I was smoking or now that I am not? 

Back to the drawing board !

eb54ep.jpg

c7a7513d68.png

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

lol Buck, maybe you should ask your dr. what vitamins you should be taking. Just a thought.......

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

5vbuwn.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years
QuitWe say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

VODOO Witch Doctors !@!!!!   they will do what I have just done and hand me a Pamphlet or some thing printed off of the net.

and I get the honor of paying them 35.00 copay?      YA I was thinking about doing that Someday !

25f3vwp.jpg

Just playing OK?

eb54ep.jpg

c7a7513d68.png

#5 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

And See here I go all covered with 35 dollars in my Pocket to Buy some more of this stuff.  

"Isn't it great when a Plan works Out"  Hannibal quote, THE 'A' TEAM

Supplements for a Newly Non-smoker:

Antioxidants + Amino acids =

(Acai Berries) Provide High Concentrations Of Antioxidants, Amino Acids, & Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's)

Acai Is Thought To Have Detoxofying Qualities.

Acai supports Energy, Cardiovascular, Liver & Immune Systems.*

Vitamins B5, B6 =

Pantothenic Acid Vitamin B 5:

Pantothenic acid , also known as vitamin B5, is widely available in plant and animal food sources and helps support cellular energy production in the body.† Rich sources include organ meats (liver, kidney), egg yolk, whole grains, avocados, cashew nuts, peanuts, lentils, soybeans, brown rice, broccoli, and milk.

Vitamin B6:

Involved in over 100 cellular reactions throughout the body, vitamin B6 is instrumental in keeping various bodily functions operating at their best.† Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine, is needed to metabolize amino acids and glycogen (the body’s storage form of glucose), and is also necessary for normal nervous system function and red blood cell formation.† Vitamin B6 is fairly abundant in the diet and can be found in foods such as meat, poultry, eggs, bananas, fish, fortified cereal grains and cooked spinach.

Vitamin C =

Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps support the immune system and helps neutralize free radicals in the body.† Additionally, vitamin C is necessary for the body to manufacture collagen, which is important for healthy skin.†

Maginsium = is in my acid reflux meds Omeprazole w/ magnesium

eb54ep.jpg

c7a7513d68.png

#6 GraceLove

GraceLove

Truly Free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-08
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Take a good multivitamin (Alive brand is good). Then just eat a very colorful, diverse selection of fruits and veggies. 

• avian3 likes this

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#7 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

Huummmmmm maybe I should think about that?  Very Colorful Fruits?  Very Diverse Veggies?

118k1mo.jpg

NOPE I'm good,  Thank you,

eb54ep.jpg

c7a7513d68.png

#8 happycat

happycat

N.O.P.E

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-28

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

If you're good then why are you taking a bunch of supplements at all?

I'm with grace love. A healthy well balanced diet that includes lots of whole grains and a rainbow of fresh veggies and fruits should include all the vitamins and minerals you need. Adding a quality multivitamin won’t hurt. Instead of spending a ton of $$$ on supplements, spend it on healthy foods.

As for magnesium in your omperazole it may not be the supplement you think.  Long term use of omperazole is known to deplete magnesium levels. It’s been added to balance out potential losses caused by the drug.. If you're concerned about your magnesium levels ask your doctor to test you.

• avian3 likes this

event.png

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on so long in the first place. ~ Anonymous ~

#9 avian3

avian3

Mellow Yellow

• Administrators
  • 15,168 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

If you have an annual exam, they should be taking a complete blood count, which tests for many things. I found out I needed extra vitamin D and increased that. Otherwise I take a multi vitamin and extra calcium and eat a healthy diet. Everything has come out normal each year. 

If you are concerned about your health after smoking for so many years, here is something that is very important. It can save your life. http://www.quitsmoki...?hl=+dose +scan

All the vitamins in the world will not compare to catching lung cancer early.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#10 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

Damn good convincing information, The reason for the Acai and Cranberry is Diabetes runs in the family that I have managed to avoid. Yes GraceLove, Happycat and Avian that includes wheat toast for breakfast, fresh fruit and veggies for Lunch and a simi well balanced Dinner, Dinner has been kicking my Butt with the quit. I do see the doctor once a year for full blood work and physical, usually in February around my Bday. But been not to keen about it this year, need to get myself stable first. Not fond of doctors and their peddling of drugs for everything. Do you know when they prescribe cholesterol meds and it tells you not to eat or drink Grapefruit juice, that is because the GFJ provides your body what it needs to make the drug the doctor is giving you. so why not tell me to eat or drink a grapefruit or glass of juice a day instead? I do not plan on getting on the pharmaceutical marry go round.
eb54ep.jpg

c7a7513d68.png

#11 happycat

happycat

N.O.P.E

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-28

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

Do you know when they prescribe cholesterol meds and it tells you not to eat or drink Grapefruit juice, that is because the GFJ provides your body what it needs to make the drug the doctor is giving you. so why not tell me to eat or drink a grapefruit or glass of juice a day instead? 

Whoa buckster. That's not true at all. People can't produce their own statins. Grapefruit juice interferes with a number of drugs, not just some statins. It can disrupt the way certain statins are metabolized because it affects a particular enzyme present in our intestines With the affected statins, too much of the drug stays in the bloodstream and can cause liver damage. So taking some statins with GFJ can cause toxic levels of the drug to build up. It has nothing to do with what you think it does.

https://www.fda.gov/...s/ucm292276.htm

• avian3 likes this

event.png

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on so long in the first place. ~ Anonymous ~

#12 GraceLove

GraceLove

Truly Free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-08
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

https://www.drugs.co...teractions.html

"Grapefruit contains compounds known as furanocoumarins that block the CYP3A4 enzymes. When grapefruit juice is consumed, the enzyme's ability to break down the drug for elimination is decreased. Blood levels of the drug may rise, resulting in the risk for new or worsened side effects."

Basically the drug has a set amount of time that it is meant to stay in your system before your body breaks it down and eliminates it. Grapefruit juice affects the body's ability to break down certain drugs.

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#13 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Who drinks grapefruit juice anyway?! :puke:  :laughbounce: 

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

5vbuwn.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years
QuitWe say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#14 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

ARE YOU SURE? Love Grapefruit and GF juice. well well now I am going to have to look back into that. could be I misread what GFJ was doing, and WOW I may be way off? You 3 girls make a formable team, all bright, intelligent, well informed and very Likable ? not he word I was looking for? How about:
pleasant, nice, friendly, agreeable, affable, amiable, genial, personable, charming, popular, good-natured, engaging, appealing, endearing, convivial, congenial, simpatico, winning, delightful, enchanting, lovable, adorable, sweet; and More Ya that's more like it
eb54ep.jpg

c7a7513d68.png

#15 happycat

happycat

N.O.P.E

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-28

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

buckster. Not all statins are affected by grapefruit juice. If you're taking a statin and want to drink your juice, too, then talk to your doctor or pharmacist If needed, maybe your doctor can prescribe one that's compatible. Here's an article that lists statin compatability with grapefruit. hope that helps :)

http://www.health.ha...ice-and-statins

event.png

#16 avian3

avian3

Mellow Yellow

• Administrators
  • 15,168 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

buckster. Not all statins are affected by grapefruit juice. If you're taking a statin and want to drink your juice, too, then talk to your doctor or pharmacist If needed, maybe your doctor can prescribe one that's compatible. Here's an article that lists statin compatability with grapefruit. hope that helps :)

http://www.health.ha...ice-and-statins

Thank you for putting up links.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#17 avian3

avian3

Mellow Yellow

• Administrators
  • 15,168 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

Whoa buckster. That's not true at all. People can't produce their own statins. Grapefruit juice interferes with a number of drugs, not just some statins. It can disrupt the way certain statins are metabolized because it affects a particular enzyme present in our intestines With the affected statins, too much of the drug stays in the bloodstream and can cause liver damage. So taking some statins with GFJ can cause toxic levels of the drug to build up. It has nothing to do with what you think it does.

https://www.fda.gov/...s/ucm292276.htm

THANK YOU for this!!

I just began taking a BP med for the first time in my life and I have to avoid grapefruit. 

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#18 Eil

Eil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouthern NJ

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:24 AM

Your $35 copay would be cheaper than buying all these vitamins.  lol  My theory is:  take a multivitamin daily, a vitamin D daily in the winter time only and try to eat a reasonably healthy diet that includes a few fruits and veggies and you're good.  No need to get all crazy healthy now that you are a non-smoker.  Watch out for that magnesium.  Too much will make you poop.  lol

And See here I go all covered with 35 dollars in my Pocket to Buy some more of this stuff.  

"Isn't it great when a Plan works Out"  Hannibal quote, THE 'A' TEAM

Supplements for a Newly Non-smoker:

Antioxidants + Amino acids =

(Acai Berries) Provide High Concentrations Of Antioxidants, Amino Acids, & Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's)

Acai Is Thought To Have Detoxofying Qualities.

Acai supports Energy, Cardiovascular, Liver & Immune Systems.*

Vitamins B5, B6 =

Pantothenic Acid Vitamin B 5:

Pantothenic acid , also known as vitamin B5, is widely available in plant and animal food sources and helps support cellular energy production in the body.† Rich sources include organ meats (liver, kidney), egg yolk, whole grains, avocados, cashew nuts, peanuts, lentils, soybeans, brown rice, broccoli, and milk.

Vitamin B6:

Involved in over 100 cellular reactions throughout the body, vitamin B6 is instrumental in keeping various bodily functions operating at their best.† Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine, is needed to metabolize amino acids and glycogen (the body’s storage form of glucose), and is also necessary for normal nervous system function and red blood cell formation.† Vitamin B6 is fairly abundant in the diet and can be found in foods such as meat, poultry, eggs, bananas, fish, fortified cereal grains and cooked spinach.

Vitamin C =

Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps support the immune system and helps neutralize free radicals in the body.† Additionally, vitamin C is necessary for the body to manufacture collagen, which is important for healthy skin.†

Maginsium = is in my acid reflux meds Omeprazole w/ magnesium

#19 Wayne045

Wayne045

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationVA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:06 AM

Unless you have a vitamin deficiency, you don't need to take "extra" vitamins .   Your doctor will tell you if you should be taking vitamin supplements.

• Jillar likes this

1464516001_12_1_EUR_4_bluesec.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users