Photo

Reasons I love our Message Board and why I get emotional.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Dianecz

Dianecz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-09
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

I found QSMB when I had been quit for 6 weeks, how I wish I had discovered it on day one. The first few weeks of any quit are difficult to say the least, but I had so many weird things going on, I didn't know what was quit related and what wasn't, at times I felt I was about to spontaneously combust !

I found other web sites, message groups, forums etc. but they just weren't right, they were too stuffy, or looked complicated or seemed too formal and scary, and I didn't want scary because I was terrified of the big step I was taking, to quit cold turkey after 42 years, so, I have decided to randomly list why I think this message board, our message board is the best in the world, I hope you can add some other reasons too.

1: Everyone is friendly, probably because we are all in it together, we all know that we are going through, or been through together.

2: I adore the way we welcome Newbies and make them instantly feel at home with us. I love the way we offer them knowledge, support, lots of hugs, sympathy, encouragement, education, friendliness and  feelings of safety and security.

3: I feel immensely proud of our newbies, that they very soon have the confidence to offer support and knowledge to other people who join us, even in the very first few days of their quit. I love watching them develop, this makes me quite emotional.

4: I find the way we bond to be unlike any other bonding situation, I think it is the realisation that no one here is going to judge them, we have all been used to being judged during our smoking years,almost all of us were ashamed to smoke, many of us have been secret smokers, but on our message board we can be ourselves. Before I quit I would avoid even talking about smoking, I was so much in denial, and I was permanently ashamed. Here we can talk about every dreadful detail of smoking and our smoking history.

5: We are quitters, whether we have been quit for years or hours we are all addicts who are determined to rid our bodies of lethal chemicals that will, one way or another, kill us if we continue to smoke.

6: I love the diversity of the members. People from all different walks of life, different countries, different ages, all with interesting stories, all with different personalities, I love the way we all get to know one another, and the way friendships are made. The camaraderie is fantastic and so much fun

7: The SOS system is beyond belief and has stopped many people losing their quit.We all have wobbles when giving up smoking, but for the times we simply cant cope on our own, our wonderful members will drop everything to help their peers.

I get emotional because this board has been here for me, we have sad times when one of our friends become ill, and we have fun times when we celebrate milestones with each other. There is respect and gratitude and achievement.

This should perhaps have been posted on the gratitude thread, but I just wanted to say thank you to all for the amazing web site we all have had a little input in creating,

Love to you all xxx 

• avian3, Jeni, anna2013 and 30 others like this

5vbuwn.jpgimage.png?base_img=1&size=1&date_yr=2016

event.png

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Love, love, love this post Diane! I am grateful for all of the above PLUS the fact that so many people with years quit are still here to mentor us. It means so much to me. I get a little emotional too as I have never been a part of a message board. I hope to be here just as my mentors for many years to come. A big cuddle to you my friend :bigarmhug: 

• avian3, MissyCat, Pearlie and 9 others like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 Nina the Quitter

Nina the Quitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-03
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

I agree.

We all respect one another, and realize there are many ways to quit, and what is right for you is the right way. 

No judging if you fall, a little scolding maybe, but the support to get right back up and start again.

• avian3, MissyCat, Pearlie and 4 others like this

c927346466.png

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

Never smokers take not smoking for granted, we quitters know the real value of being a nonsmoker.

#4 JimHannoonen

JimHannoonen

Ruler Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Thank you for saying what I think the majority of us are thinking. :)

• avian3, MissyCat, Pearlie and 5 others like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

#5 Andy75

Andy75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-05
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Im not a very emotional person in general. Well, at least I hide it.
This however, brought a tear to my eye.

I have nothing to add to it

A band of brothers and sisters, unselfishly setting thousands of people free

Lots of love to y'all ❤️
  • avian3, MissyCat, Pearlie and 7 others like this
30ksjlf.jpg

65d2b6f804.png

I stubbed out my last ever cigarette on the 5th of February 2017 at 22:30. From that moment on I became a non smoker

ONE N.O.P.E. PER DAY KEEPS THE SMOKING AWAY!
Smile, and let everyone know that today, you are a lot stronger than you were yesterday!
Proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team

#6 devo

devo

((((((((((((((!)))))))))))))))

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-28
  • LocationLost Angeles California

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

:grin:  :wub:  :bigarmhug:

• avian3, MissyCat, Pearlie and 1 other like this

1zzrf54.jpg  

036e5b5490.png

#7 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

Diane, wonderful post! It reminds me of a thread I started almost 3 years ago, titled "What's so darn special about QSMB?". I posted it following a very contentious time on the board where many members left to start another quit site.  What I said then still holds true today. Here's my "old pharte" perspective on why I also love this message board.....

"The most recent upheaval has brought about a lot of changes to the QSMB, some good, some bad. It may have caused some of us to question why we are still here. Sometimes it's good to get a "fresh start", isn't it? Being one who always seems to want the next best thing to come along, I've asked myself why I'm staying and the answer really is a no-brainer. This is my board. It is filled with my history and the history of those who took this journey with me. Thousands of treasured posts are still in the archives of this forum, with the most treasured of all being JWG's (thank you Marcie for continually bumping them). This is where I many spent hours a day when I first quit and was more afraid than I ever remember being. This is where I celebrated conquering those first 72 hours, and where I became an olde pharte. This is where I stayed up till 1 AM one night, waiting for David (Quit100x) to come back from the store, after he had a shaky night. I told him to check in when he got home, I was so worried he would stop and buy cigarettes, but he didn't. I remember I couldn't have been more proud had he been my son. This is where I followed Susan's (Slocum) brave battle of recovery after her accident. This is where there were fights to end all fights, wine parties till midnight in the chat room, friendships made and friendships lost. This is where I've gotten upset and I've left, more than once, but I always seem to find my way back. Because this is my board. Is it yours too?"

• avian3, Jeni, anna2013 and 10 others like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#8 eeyore

eeyore

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-01
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

(((((QSMB)))))    :groupwave:  :groupwave:  :groupwave:

• avian3, Pearlie and Dianecz like this

event.png2j3342d.jpg                       

#9 Lust4Life

Lust4Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-26
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Lovely, Diane. I agree, this place is special.
  • avian3 and Pearlie like this

KMQ since September 26, 2016.  One N O P E at a time.  :grin: 

#10 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29
  • LocationMommy's Basement

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Great post D !!

The process of quitting smoking doesn’t end with the last cigarette. It’s not quitting itself, the real key is staying quit!

#11 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

6eq7vm.gif
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#12 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

I also love this board.  Group hug!!

038c1496de1f1aa2e1d3a31b0ae60b74_400x400

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#13 johnny5

johnny5

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-16
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Great post, Diane!  I feel the same way.  I don't think I would have quit smoking without this place and the wonderful people here and for that I am hugely grateful.

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. - Marvitta

I didn't quit smoking to live longer, I did it to live better. - jwg

event.png

2j3342d.jpg

#14 happycat

happycat

N.O.P.E

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-28

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

Great post Diane! Thanks for putting the feelings shared by so many of us into words. So glad you are here :)

10p2byr.jpg

event.png

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on so long in the first place. ~ Anonymous ~

#15 Nolzy

Nolzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-13
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Much love Diane xx

#16 MInnMuldoon

MInnMuldoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-01
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

Diane-- wonderful post.. I totally agree that QSMB is a special place.. I'm sure I wouldn't have made it this far without finding this support.
f733b6bda3.png
1467356401_20_1_USD_10_whitesec.png

#17 Electrick2

Electrick2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationNorthern Canada

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

Great post Dianne.
Not much to add except;

Beer shooting out your nose laughs.
Tears running down your face laughs.
Those OMG I've done that laughs.
Most of all the smile when a quit has been saved.

KTQ
  • avian3, MissyCat, Pearlie and 6 others like this
Quit date: July 13,2016
MrsMelanie: Life isn't always how we hope it will be, but it's not worth smoking for.

Barry the Smoke says only you can prevent face fires.

#18 Dianecz

Dianecz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-09
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

Great post Dianne.
Not much to add except;

Beer shooting out your nose laughs.
Tears running down your face laughs.
Those OMG I've done that laughs.
Most of all the smile when a quit has been saved.

KTQ

lolololol!!!! Beer shooting out of your nose hahahaha! 

5vbuwn.jpgimage.png?base_img=1&size=1&date_yr=2016

event.png

#19 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:12 PM

giphy.gif

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#20 Pearlie

Pearlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,199 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-13
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:21 PM

I love this post, Diane!  Prior to quitting, I would go smoke and hide my emotions.  Not any more!!   :wub:

• avian3 likes this
event.png

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER.  It does not stand for Not One Puff EXCEPT.  ~breath

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users