Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-30
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

Jillar - I'm not sure how to word this so it translates the way I'm intending, but actually, I'm glad to see a post like this - not glad that you're having a rough time, but glad that I'm not the only one who has a set back now and then.

Sometimes it seems like I see so many "..happy happy that I don't smoke anymore" or "..yuck, I can't stand how much that person stinks - and they SMOKE"...and it seems those are the days I'm struggling and I'm looking for a struggling post.

Hope this makes sense and isn't offensive.

This rough day you're having - this too shall pass.

• Jillar likes this

#42 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,981 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

Makes perfect sense bluebell, that's why I posted it. We see all these confident quitters posts and think what's wrong with us? How come it's so hard for me, etc. This post however was made about a month and a half ago and I am in a much better place now. And you will be too :)

• Dors67 and Dianecz like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#43 Stzr500

Stzr500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:42 PM

So sorry for your bad day jill...you have helped me many times with your posts I just hope I can help you also by just saying hang in there I know you can do this and watch a funny movie or something. I just love walking now and talking with our creator he/she really does listen.

• Dors67 likes this

1487968201_1_20_USD_8_blacksec.png

#44 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,981 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

Thanks stzr, I'm doing really good actually. I bumped this for anyone who needs it. I actually posted this at the beginning of last month :)

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#45 andyc941

andyc941

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-31
  • LocationMancheter UK

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

Thanks Jill i remember you posting this, I am now nearly at the point you were then and can say i feel the same now. as you did.It's good to know tho that it will get easier in a month or so.

• Jillar likes this

event.png

1zzrf54.jpg    

#46 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Jill i remember you posting this, I am now nearly at the point you were then and can say i feel the same now. as you did.It's good to know tho that it will get easier in a month or so.

It WILL get easier, little by little it already has although you might not yet notice the day to day changes... but it definitely gets easier.

I really do appreciate Jillar having posted this.  One reason that a lot of us don't go into detail about "bad days" or days that feel like "back to square one" when we're further along is this.  

Some newer quitters in the past have jumped on that and said "Oh God, if you feel that bad at X months etc. along, I might as well give up right now I can't take it knowing I will always feel this way" and use it as an excuse to cave in.

They in their new-quitter brain fog, mis-interpret a "bad day" as a "bad rest of my life".  No every day isn't yippee skippee, and yes sometimes a swarm of gnats flies in your face (I equate desire to smoke at later quits as "little gnats to be flicked away easily", so that's what the swarm of gnats is, sometimes.)  but it is still way way easier to let go of those feelings & get rid of the gnats than it is to hang on tight to the quit the earliest days.

And, for the most part, no matter how crappy a day you're having, you can have the bright spot of "I didn't smoke today, yaaay me!" to lift your spirits, no matter how short a time or how long a time you've been quit.   Embrace your quit!  Your life depends on it :) .

• Jillar and andyc941 like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#47 Mako

Mako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-03-13

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

I feel the same way sometimes looking at people smoking. I have to snap myself out of staring at a smoker and being jealous. It's going to happen. Just don't stare too long. 

• Jillar likes this

1457776800_15_1_USD_6_default.png

#48 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,981 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:38 AM

I was barely eight months quit when I posted this and want to share it with anyone who needs it....
  • Frank likes this

1zzrf54.jpg

#49 brand.new.ela

brand.new.ela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

Thanks, Jillar. That was eye-opening. it's important to be aware that we're one cigarette away from a relapse and that the risk is the same regardless if we've been quit for two, eight or eighteen months.

• Jillar likes this

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#50 Whispers

Whispers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-11-25

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Thanks, Jillar. That was eye-opening. it's important to be aware that we're one cigarette away from a relapse and that the risk is the same regardless if we've been quit for two, eight or eighteen months.

Its exactly what happens when we relapse, and whats even scarier is a lot of us who have seen those we love suffer from the addiction relapse without at second thought in a bad frame of mind. Posts like this will save  many a quit and will also make others feel they aren't alone with the same kind of thoughts .

• Jillar and brand.new.ela like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users