Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:08 AM

I'm not going to lie, even though I know all the reasons I chose to quit, a part of me still is envious of the people who are still smoking, breathing fine like I wasn't, and I think why do I have to have the breathing problems? Why can't I still "get" to smoke like they do? Who knows the answer, not me, but it doesn't change the fact that I can't smoke. I choose breathing. And although my breathing isn't as good as it was in my 30's it's still much better then it was when I smoked. A lot of us are worried about writing these kinds of posts for fear of scaring off newbies but I think it's important that we share that this addiction doesn't magically go away after "x" amount of days/months not smoking. Smoking was a part of me for three quarters of my life and isn't going to RIP as easily as I would hope. Like my friend Christian said after all of his posts the first year, I am a non smoker!
  • 4mylife, marciem, johnny5 and 21 others like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#2 jukebox

jukebox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-26
  • LocationPauls Valley, Oklahoma

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:12 AM

yes, I have the same problem, each day I think..."now why can't I smoke again?" or "man, I miss smoking." all of that is a no no but I can't help thinking it. I am proud of my quit but one cigarette away from blowing it all the time for me. I wish I didn't have cravings anymore but I think I am romancing the cigarette all the time. sad. somebody kick my butt for thinking this way !!

• 4mylife, marciem, eeyore and 6 others like this

#3 Christian99

Christian99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • quitdate:
    2001-12-11
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:19 AM

Keep saying it, and keep acting in ways that are consistent with it, Jillar.  You WILL break through, and when it happens, it will amaze you.  Although I'd never encourage someone to seek them out (and I applaud those whose quits don't seem that challenging after an initial period), I sometimes wonder if the profound difficulties I had in early stages of my quit (and the seemingly interminable duration of them) actually contributed to the long term, transformative power of the quit itself. 

Keep up the great work, friend--

Christian99

15 Years Quit

• 4mylife, MissyCat, Smokefreetoday and 4 others like this

#4 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:19 AM

You are allowed to have bad days, Jillar.   The roller coaster ride lasts a long time. You just have to remind yourself just how many years you smoked compared to the amount of time you have been smoke free. It just takes time. But of course you know all this. 

Do something special for yourself this weekend. Pizza maybe.  :)

Oh, by the way, now I can't watch Impractical Joker's without looking at Sal and thinking of you. :D

Also, when I saw the word "Temptations" in the title of one of the threads, Marcie came to mind.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#5 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:21 AM

Smoking and cigarettes are not your friend, or your comfort.  They will kill you, and your loved ones will have to watch.  Been there, done that, with my dear brother.

It is an addiction, and that is all it is.

You know this, Jillar...you have already helped so many on this journey...

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#6 Jeni

Jeni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts
  • quitdate:
    04/03/13
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:23 AM

I'm not going to lie, even though I know all the reasons I chose to quit, a part of me still is envious of the people who are still smoking, breathing fine like I wasn't, and I think why do I have to have the breathing problems? Why can't I still "get" to smoke like they do? Who knows the answer, not me, but it doesn't change the fact that I can't smoke. I choose breathing. And although my breathing isn't as good as it was in my 30's it's still much better then it was when I smoked. A lot of us are worried about writing these kinds of posts for fear of scaring off newbies but I think it's important that we share that this addiction doesn't magically go away after "x" amount of days/months not smoking. Smoking was a part of me for three quarters of my life and isn't going to RIP as easily as I would hope. Like my friend Christian said after all of his posts the first year, I am a non smoker!

Sorry you've had a hard day, Jill.

Just like never-smokers, we who have quit also have them. Sometimes it's easy to think for a minute that smoking would provide some kind of relief.

As you now know, it wouldn't.

Don't ever feel badly about posting what you are feeling. There is no shame in expressing whatever you are going through. That's why we are here!

Great job on keeping your quit, no matter what! :)
  • 4mylife, abbyin and Jillar like this

#7 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:25 AM

Keep saying it, and keep acting in ways that are consistent with it, Jillar.  You WILL break through, and when it happens, it will amaze you.  Although I'd never encourage someone to seek them out (and I applaud those whose quits don't seem that challenging after an initial period), I sometimes wonder if the profound difficulties I had in early stages of my quit (and the seemingly interminable duration of them) actually contributed to the long term, transformative power of the quit itself. 

Keep up the great work, friend--

Christian99

15 Years Quit

You are allowed to have bad days, Jillar.   The roller coaster ride lasts a long time. You just have to remind yourself just how many years you smoked compared to the amount of time you have been smoke free. It just takes time. But of course you know all this. 

Do something special for yourself this weekend. Pizza maybe.  :)

Oh, by the way, now I can't watch Impractical Joker's without looking at Sal and thinking of you. :D

Also, when I saw the word "Temptations" in the title of one of the threads, Marcie came to mind.

I am pretty sure ice cream would make us all feel better...

Nancy

event.png

The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric

#8 Jeni

Jeni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts
  • quitdate:
    04/03/13
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:27 AM

yes, I have the same problem, each day I think..."now why can't I smoke again?" or "man, I miss smoking." all of that is a no no but I can't help thinking it. I am proud of my quit but one cigarette away from blowing it all the time for me. I wish I didn't have cravings anymore but I think I am romancing the cigarette all the time. sad. somebody kick my butt for thinking this way !!

JB...

You posted the following on a thread a few days ago:

"well, thank you Jeni ! I need my quit for sure. smoking isn't an option and I have pretty much squelched romancing smoking anymore. I want to be four years quit !! woohoo !!"

I am officially here to kick your butt, and tell you to knock it off! :)

Protect your precious quit with all your being.
  • eeyore, jukebox and Jillar like this

#9 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:27 AM

I am pretty sure ice cream would make us all feel better...

Yum!! or a Margarita, which I will be having in just about an hour from now. :)

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#10 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:29 AM

Yes Nancy, ice cream, pepperoni and pineapple pizza with white sauce and Sal
😁😁😁😁
  • 4mylife, avian3 and Electrick2 like this

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#11 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:33 AM

Yes Nancy, ice cream, pepperoni and pineapple pizza with white sauce and Sal

Not sure who Sal is, but I am all in, otherwise!

Nancy

event.png

#12 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:35 AM

I'm with Jeni in kicking your butt jukebox, I'm doing it and gosh darn it you are too! We have this great support to back us up and let us know that we can and will succeed! Thanks you guys for posting it REALLY means a lot!
  • Jeni, Nancy. and jukebox like this

1zzrf54.jpg

#13 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:38 AM

Nancy, http://www.quitsmoki...bout/?p=1176978

1zzrf54.jpg

#14 MInnMuldoon

MInnMuldoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-01
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:39 AM

Jillar-- sorry to hear you are having a rough day... but good for you to reach out and post. I know I wish it was straight line progress on not thinking about smoking ... but it's kind of zig zaggy .. overall easier, but still some tough days.. (I think it's easy to put expectations that after so many months... I "should" be here in my quit). I know I do that. I,m glad to hear your breathing has improved.. and I'm sure you've noticed many other benefits-- circulation, etc .. You've done a fantastic job with your quit and can be so proud! Ahh tomorrow is a new day says Scarlett..,
  • Jeni, abbyin, Jillar and 1 other like this
f733b6bda3.png
1467356401_20_1_USD_10_whitesec.png

#15 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:40 AM

You guys are so awesome at getting someone's mind off of smoking, just wanted you to know..... Thank you!
  • Jeni and Nancy. like this

1zzrf54.jpg

#16 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:07 AM

HappyCat is the one with the ass-kicker boots, but here's the old DIY frying pan, JB (and Jill, too, if you need it).  Use this every time a cigarette sounds tempting.  Every time you think "I wish I got to smoke" instead of "I'm glad I don't have to".  Temptation will soon go the way of the dodo bird :)

• Jillar, Electrick2 and Ramona like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#17 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:25 AM

I'm sorry you're having a tough day, Jill.  It happens.  Less and less often, but it does happen, and makes you wonder if this will every be over.

Here's some ice cream, Death by Chocolate of course!

photo-2.jpg

and some Temptations ... dance and sing, that will get the cigarettes off your brain!

• 4mylife, avian3, Nancy. and 3 others like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#18 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:28 AM

I'm sorry you're having a tough day, Jill.  It happens.  Less and less often, but it does happen, and makes you wonder if this will every be over.

Here's some ice cream, Death by Chocolate of course!

photo-2.jpg

and some Temptations ... dance and sing, that will get the cigarettes off your brain!

Love!

Nancy

event.png

#19 jukebox

jukebox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-26
  • LocationPauls Valley, Oklahoma

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

thank you Jeni and Jillar and everyone else who commented on my weakness...yes, I just need to remember how long I have smoked in my life...if I let it I will always want another cigarette. It is my hope that I won't do this anymore some day. I will just have to accept that I am a non smoker!! thanks for kicking my butt. haha

• Jillar likes this

#20 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:48 AM

Jukebox, my friend Christian who has been quit over 15 years now had as hard a time as us. And he just kept telling himself he was a non smoker, we just need to keep doing this each and everyday to ensure that we are! And of course remember all the reasons and benefits we've seen since quitting! If I'm hanging tough gosh darn it so are you jukebox!
  • jukebox likes this

1zzrf54.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users