6 replies to this topic

#1 Bangarang

Bangarang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:58 AM

Hi everyone,
I started Chantix 7 days ago. I've been smoking for about 15 years. So far, I haven't had any terrible side effects - other than a sinus infection and being tired - but those could just be due to the winter months.
I'm not really seeing a difference yet, being on Chantix. I'm maybe smoking just a few less cigarettes per day at this point. I really hope Chantix will work for me but I'm also becoming a little concerned since I haven't seen a huge difference yet. I'm trying to be more mindful of my habits and I'm hoping this extra support/message board can be helpful.

Did anyone else have see the effects of Chantix really start to work in the later weeks? I'm still on the 0.5 mg twice a day, so I'm not up to the maintenance dosage just yet.

Any feedback would be great. :)

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:58 AM

Welcome bangarang, chantix works great for suppressing urges but it won't make you magically quit smoking. You still have to want and be ready to quit. That being said, it does take differing times for the chantix to start working on your receptors that's why it says to pick a day between 5- 35 (if I remember correctly). I took it a few years ago and quit smoking after the first week, stayed quit for three weeks, stopped taking it and instantly started smoking again. Simply because I wasn't truly ready to quit.
You'll get a lot more advice if you post on the main board. These sub forums don't get too many views. :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 Freshstart

Freshstart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-25
  • LocationLondon England

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

Hi Bangarang, I too am on chantix and personally have noticed a difference in just 4 days. I've been a20 a day smoker for 30 years and was down to just 6 poison sticks by yesterday. Yesterday I also tried hypnotherapy and am amazed at my positive attitude to quitting! As I lay here I am seriously thinking that I will not smoke when I get up today. I dont want to smoke so I will not smoke.
I think I am lucky that they are working very early, dont be despondent, please give it time and maybe try hypnotherapy, I simply used one on you tube and it's definitely helped me! Good luck!

#4 Bangarang

Bangarang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hi Bangarang, I too am on chantix and personally have noticed a difference in just 4 days. I've been a20 a day smoker for 30 years and was down to just 6 poison sticks by yesterday. Yesterday I also tried hypnotherapy and am amazed at my positive attitude to quitting! As I lay here I am seriously thinking that I will not smoke when I get up today. I dont want to smoke so I will not smoke.
I think I am lucky that they are working very early, dont be despondent, please give it time and maybe try hypnotherapy, I simply used one on you tube and it's definitely helped me! Good luck!

#5 mei

mei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-12

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:16 AM

bangarang and freshstart,

congrats on your quit. you will not be disappointed on your decision to quit. i am a previous 40 year 1 1/2 to 2 pack a day smoker' i quit with the help of chantix. chantix will not make you quit.

chantix will not make you want to quit. chantix makes the enjoyment of that nicotine fix and the good taste of cigarettes go away. thats it. i was on chantix for two weeks before i quit. my last cigarette didn't taste good or bad.

it did nothing for me. no good taste and no ahhh! moment. it did absolutely nothing. thats when i knew it was time to quit smoking. it is not a miracle drug. it just takes the edge off. but i promise you this. if i can quit after

40 years and many attempts YOU CAN DO IT ALSO!!! come here often post often read-read-read and then read some more. the people on this site are unbelievable support. chantix and this site are the reason i am

5 1/2 months without a smoke. you have to really want to quit. chantix will not make you want to quit. it just takes enough of the edge off it is bearable. believe me when i say it was easier than i thought it was going to be. 

honestly easier. You Have to Stay Strong!!!   STAY STRONG!!!  STAY STRONG!! come here often.  DO NOT SMOKE.. You Can Do This! I Promise!!!

• cbdave and Jillar like this

1471024801_35_1_USD_7_blacksec.png

#6 gtrz

gtrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-04
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

what mei said!

1483533000_30_1_USD_6.5_dark.png30ksjlf.gif

#7 Freshstart

Freshstart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-25
  • LocationLondon England

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Mei and gtrz for the support! I am pleased to report that those 6 poison sticks that I mentioned that I had, (tuesday) were the last ones I smoked! Its now been 48 hrs and to be honest I am amazed how little I have clucked for a smoke. I am doing the self hypnotherapy every evening along with the chantix and am looking forward to a healthy smoke free life, released from the dependancy of those horrible little sticks of evil! I am in control, yeeehaaaa!!!!
  • Jillar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users