Photo

What are you Cooking for the Christmas ?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

Sounds yummy Frank, I would use pineapple with the pork for sure. And since loin is such a lean cut, and one of my favorites, I would wrap it in bacon because EVERYTHING is better with bacon lol

I was actually planning on using bacon in the stuffing, so the fat from it would moisturize the meat a little bit. What I don't know is if use it raw or toasted.

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#22 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

Sounds delicious, Frank!  If I were to make any changes, it would be the fruit and garlic.  For the fruit, I would probably use apples which I think would go really well with the walnuts.  I would make slits all over the meat and insert raw garlic slivers.

Rainwater on the beef sounds wonderful!   :lol:

I'm in charge of vegetables this year but my family is having beef tenderloin roast.  Yum...yum...yum!

I like your idea about inserting the garlic cloves, probably lightly roasted and deep in balsamic vinegar. Were you talking about fresh apples? what kind?

It is pouring Christmas eve day ( it is our tradition to have dinner that day ) and I have no choice but to grill under the rain.  :rolleyes:

I am no much of a veggie guy, I would have fruits anytime though. 

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#23 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

Sounds Delicious Frank!  Have you ever tried Sauerkraut?  It goes great with pork.  Ourselves, we are cooking a ham Christmas eve, and then the Frozen Turkey for Christmas.

5 months and you decided to eat your frozen turkey. See that is smart, quit with a Turkey and eat it afterwords, doesn't get better than that.

Souerkraut?  :shock:  :huh:  :o  :o  :wacko: No way Jose !

• Jillar likes this

#24 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

Love these food threads Frank!

Traditional turkey dinner for Christmas day.

Bbq rotisserie turkey (weather permitting)
Crockpot stuffing
Swedish mashed potatoes
Gravy
Steamed green beans
Hot buttered beets
Cranberry sauce
English trifle

Hungry now!

Rotiserie Turkey sounds great, any special seasonings?

How are Swedish mashed potatoes?

That Crokodrile pot ? I don't know if reptile meat would go well with this holiday ... 

Now. Hot and buttered  I take anytime, hot or cold, day or night  :P  even swedish and with potatoes and under the rain  :D

• MissyCat and Jillar like this

#25 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

Okay Christmas day is prime rib, duchess potatoes,  brussel sprouts, drizzled with olive oil, sea salt and garlic, then roasted and sprinkled with bacon. Also a large salad bar so people can make their own. Wine or choice of drink with dinner.

For dessert, plates of tarts, cookies, fudge and other candies, pies and cupcakes. 

After dinner, cognac, hot spiced wine  or choice of cocktail, whiskey, whatever.

Sounds great  mom, Specially the brussel sprouts, maybe I should add that to my menu. I think would go well with the tri tip and pork loin.. I am planning on having Brandy I got  from the Family wine - brandy bodega this last trip home, I may even use some of it to flame cook some of them sprouts.

• avian3 and MissyCat like this

#26 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

I have had this one Frank and its spectacular :)

http://www.jamieoliv...herby-stuffing/

I'm cooking a goose and a turkey this year with all the usual trimmings, roast potatoes, red cabbage, sprouts and bacon, glazed carrots, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls and lots of lush gravy.

Never eaten goose before so its first for me and of course I have made my job harder by choosing a slow cook version so its going to be an early start for me Christmas day :) the turkey is a "just in case I mess it up" option lol 

Starter will be a scallop mornay and pudding will be christmas cake cheese and fruit. 

I will be completely prepared for any eventuality (yeah right) and of course if a very large bus load of hungry people turn up there will be plenty to go round!!!

Enjoy your christmas food everyone :)

The picture of that loin looks fantastic Nels, There are some good ideas in the preparation of it.

NOW YOU ARE TALKING,  Goose should be fantastic,  Please get a picture or two and let us know how it came out.  For some reason as I see the flocks of geese fly by during their migration I can't help seeing a couple of them on my table, there naked and toasted to a golden deep brown color and dripping their fatty juices.  Are you hunting yours?

It must be a treat to be at your table enjoining some of your meals, lucky your family to have you.

• MissyCat and Nelski like this

#27 Nelski

Nelski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,106 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-06
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

The picture of that loin looks fantastic Nels, There are some good ideas in the preparation of it.

NOW YOU ARE TALKING,  Goose should be fantastic,  Please get a picture or two and let us know how it came out.  For some reason as I see the flocks of geese fly by during their migration I can't help seeing a couple of them on my table, there naked and toasted to a golden deep brown color and dripping their fatty juices.  Are you hunting yours?

It must be a treat to be at your table enjoining some of your meals, lucky your family to have you.

:shock:  no Frank the nearest I get to hunting is hunting down the best bargain in the local shops :) 

I will take a picture for you though along with the goose fat roasties :) ....May well be considering a diet soon after Sunday !

• Frank and MissyCat like this

1420538400_30_1_GBP_8_dark.png

#28 Pearlie

Pearlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,199 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-13
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

I like your idea about inserting the garlic cloves, probably lightly roasted and deep in balsamic vinegar. Were you talking about fresh apples? what kind?

It is pouring Christmas eve day ( it is our tradition to have dinner that day ) and I have no choice but to grill under the rain.  :rolleyes:

I am no much of a veggie guy, I would have fruits anytime though. 

Yes, fresh apples.  You can use any type of apple that doesn't get too mushy.  Some choices are Granny Smith, Braeburn, Gala, Pink Lady...

• Frank likes this
event.png

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER.  It does not stand for Not One Puff EXCEPT.  ~breath

#29 Jryan19982

Jryan19982

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationUSofA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

I think we will be doing Orange Duck or Duck confit again this year.  I like duck!    

• Frank and MissyCat like this

5db71a551c.png

1461954601_10_1_USD_7_black.png

I GOT THIS

One puff and I'm back where I started. Where I started was desperately wishing to be where I am right now.

1.  If you feel like smoking today, just make it through today and see how you feel tomorrow.  

2.  If tomorrow comes and you still feel like smoking, go back to #1.  

Just make it through one more day!

Any day you wake up and are alive and kicking is better than the alternative.  Do you want to speed up that process by smoking?  Not me.   

#30 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

G'day
I'm up late tonight doing my prep.
Pork roast for the evening is in the brine. I'll remove tomorrow and leave in the fridge to dry off and into the rottissary Sunday afternoon.
A pickled pork piece is already in the fridge in its Australian native bee honey and pepper coating. He will go into the hot smoker and come out as ham.
Vegetables prep tomorrow. They be cooked in duck fat I've had saved from that last duck.
Lots to come together for that meal but it's worth it to see people enjoy thier meal and friendship.
C
  • Frank likes this
Proud 2015 BadAshes

http://www.imagecont...20&cost_pack=20

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open -unknown

#31 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:01 PM

I think we will be doing Orange Duck or Duck confit again this year.  I like duck!    

I really like Duck. Happy meals Jryan !

#32 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

G'day
I'm up late tonight doing my prep.
Pork roast for the evening is in the brine. I'll remove tomorrow and leave in the fridge to dry off and into the rottissary Sunday afternoon.
A pickled pork piece is already in the fridge in its Australian native bee honey and pepper coating. He will go into the hot smoker and come out as ham.
Vegetables prep tomorrow. They be cooked in duck fat I've had saved from that last duck.
Lots to come together for that meal but it's worth it to see people enjoy thier meal and friendship.
C

Sounds delicious TomorrowMan,  Lucky you will be eating before most of us. :lol:

#33 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:58 PM

Dang you people eat good!

• Nelski likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#34 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

Still burping!!  I ate like a Sun of a fish this Christmas...  :wacko:

#35 Pearlie

Pearlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,199 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-13
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

Still burping!!  I ate like a Sun of a fish this Christmas...  :wacko:

How did your pork loin turn out, Frank?

event.png

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER.  It does not stand for Not One Puff EXCEPT.  ~breath

#36 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

How did your pork loin turn out, Frank?

Like a Million bucks  ^_^   I ended up cutting the loin open, stuffing it with fresh crunchy bacon, portobella mushrooms, three kinds of peppers, and sliced garlic, all of them roasted  and seasoned with salt and pepper and lemon pepper. Then rolled back in to a round shape and tied with string. Fascinating how the design ends up after it is sliced.  I made too much stuffing , so I sauté it and pan flamed with brandy, and topped with fresh chopped cilantro... Humm humm  :wub:  humm!!

I just had leftovers for lunch, and I am still licking my lips  B)  

• Pearlie likes this

#37 Nelski

Nelski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,106 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-06
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:18 PM

Sounds like the pork was gorgeous Frank :) Still eating lots of leftovers here so tonight was more bubble and squeak with a few slices of ham and the last but one mince pie :)

Looking forward to normal food again soon ...I crave beans on toast 

• Frank likes this

#38 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

Sounds like the pork was gorgeous Frank :) Still eating lots of leftovers here so tonight was more bubble and squeak with a few slices of ham and the last but one mince pie :)

Looking forward to normal food again soon ...I crave beans on toast 

I don't really know how gorgeous was the pork, I didn't really see it before it was sacrificed. The meat was delicious though  :D

I am at a loss in here. bubble and squeak ?  I know of a squeaky bubble, or more like a balloon  :P   :laughbounce:  Can't imagine what it'd be like to have a chat with you..   :blink:   :ill:

• Nelski likes this

#39 Nelski

Nelski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,106 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-06
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:24 PM

I don't really know how gorgeous was the pork, I didn't really see it before it was sacrificed. The meat was delicious though  :D

I am at a loss in here. bubble and squeak ?  I know of a squeaky bubble, or more like a balloon  :P   :laughbounce:  Can't imagine what it'd be like to have a chat with you..   :blink:   :ill:

lol oh i'm sure that would be one fun conversation :)

Bubble and Squeak is a fry up that you have the next day of all the veg/meat/gravy anything really you had with your roast. Served with HP sauce (you wont know that either sorry) and some crusty bread

Something like this 

672.png?itok=D9lgpB0a

with some of this ..which is a spicy sauce

article-0-0DCB334A00000578-490_233x832.j

with lots of this 

crusty+bread.JPG

• Frank and Pearlie like this

#40 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

Sounds delicious !!  Bubble and Squeak We call that Torrejas and my grandma used to make them of everything she got her hands on. 

We eat them  with ChimiChurri   https://www.google.c...8#q=chimichurri

and

Aji Puta Parió     https://www.google.c...=aji puta parió

Delicious  -_-

• Pearlie and Nelski like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users