Photo

What are you Cooking for the Christmas ?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:28 PM

Ok, for you cooks out there.  I have a large Pork Loin to fix as part of my Christmas dinner. I don't want to do it plain, and though about stuffing it with Bell peppers, small string of hot pepper (for a holy shi*t kind of reaction) Mushrooms, toasted garlic of course and perhaps something sweet like apricots, pineapple or plumbs and crushed black walnuts.  I have never done anything like it but in my mind sounds good and the combination of ingredients mix well I think, enough to gimme mouthering water.

Does any of you have some input.  Is the combo a good one or perhaps you have something to recommend, perhaps a recipe even though I don't like to use them preferring a little culinary creation and surprise.

I am also marinating 4 Tritip roasts,  and slow cooking them in the grill and under the rain . Also mashing potatoes.

Everything else, everybody else is incharge.

What Are cooking for the Holidays? 

• avian3, MissyCat and Pearlie like this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

Sounds yummy Frank, I would use pineapple with the pork for sure. And since loin is such a lean cut, and one of my favorites, I would wrap it in bacon because EVERYTHING is better with bacon lol
  • avian3, Frank, MissyCat and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 Pearlie

Pearlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,199 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-13
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:16 AM

Sounds delicious, Frank!  If I were to make any changes, it would be the fruit and garlic.  For the fruit, I would probably use apples which I think would go really well with the walnuts.  I would make slits all over the meat and insert raw garlic slivers.

Rainwater on the beef sounds wonderful!   :lol:

I'm in charge of vegetables this year but my family is having beef tenderloin roast.  Yum...yum...yum!

• avian3, Frank, MissyCat and 2 others like this
event.png

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER.  It does not stand for Not One Puff EXCEPT.  ~breath

#4 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:45 AM

Sounds Delicious Frank!  Have you ever tried Sauerkraut?  It goes great with pork.  Ourselves, we are cooking a ham Christmas eve, and then the Frozen Turkey for Christmas.

#5 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:56 AM

Christmas Eve night after church service we have the most delicious, homemade by a friend, tamales. Although I am of German/Norwegian origin, we have also made it our tradition.

I am a Texan too, which also makes it traditional.
QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#6 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

Although I am of German/Norwegian origin, we have also made it our tradition.
I am a Texan too, which also makes it traditional.

I'm Norwegian too avian :) And Scottish/Irish, but mostly Norwegian :)
  • avian3 and Frank like this

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#7 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:32 AM

I'm Norwegian too avian :) And Scottish/Irish, but mostly Norwegian :)

I am going to order that pizza tomorrow evening. So that I don't have to look back, it was pepperoni, I like extra pepperoni, pineapple with white sauce, correct? I am going to order the thin crust, which I prefer. I'll try the crushed potato chips next time. 

It is always just called white sauce? Is it a plain bechamel or is cheese added to it? I love mushrooms too. Would that take away from the rest of it?

Edited to say we are ordering Friday evening. I thought this was Thursday.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#8 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

Lol, I keep thinking it's Thursday too😁😁 Yes it's always called white sauce, at least where I am. And I'm not too sure how well the mushrooms would go with the pineapple. So I had to Google bechamel lol. Every pizza place is different but it's not bechamel as I'm pretty sure it's not made from milk but they won't give me the recipe dang it, lol. So to recap, pepperoni, extra is fine with pineapple with white sauce and crispy crust. Dang now I might have to order one too lol :)
Ps let me know how you like it :)

1zzrf54.jpg

#9 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:32 AM

Love these food threads Frank!

Traditional turkey dinner for Christmas day.

Bbq rotisserie turkey (weather permitting)
Crockpot stuffing
Swedish mashed potatoes
Gravy
Steamed green beans
Hot buttered beets
Cranberry sauce
English trifle

Hungry now!
  • avian3, Frank, Pearlie and 2 others like this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#10 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:34 AM

okay, not mushrooms. They state it is a white sauce made with parmesan and romano cheeses, butter and garlic.

Ill let you know how it turns out. I doubt there is any pizza that could be bad.  :)

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#11 Christian99

Christian99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • quitdate:
    2001-12-11
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:39 AM

My wife and kids will have a spiral ham they picked up at Costco. 

I only eat local meat (I know, "locavore" is so clichéd); I'm currently defrosting a beautiful bone-in pork chop, which I'll butterfly and stuff with a basic bread and veggie stuffing.  Sides for all us will be: a casserole with marsala-sautéed garlic and mushroom, steamed broccoli and green beans; garlic mashed potatoes; sweet potato casserole with graham and candied pecans.  I'll do the cooking.

Cheers and happy holidays--

Christian99

15 Years Quit 

• avian3, Frank, MissyCat and 4 others like this

#12 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:50 AM

Okay Christmas day is prime rib, duchess potatoes,  brussel sprouts, drizzled with olive oil, sea salt and garlic, then roasted and sprinkled with bacon. Also a large salad bar so people can make their own. Wine or choice of drink with dinner.

For dessert, plates of tarts, cookies, fudge and other candies, pies and cupcakes. 

After dinner, cognac, hot spiced wine  or choice of cocktail, whiskey, whatever.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#13 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:51 AM

okay, not mushrooms. They state it is a white sauce made with parmesan and romano cheeses, butter and garlic.

Ill let you know how it turns out. I doubt there is any pizza that could be bad.  :)

^LIKE^ And Christian I am so jealous of your wife to have a husband that cooks as much as you do! :)

1zzrf54.jpg

#14 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:55 AM

FREE TO GOOD HOME
Ex smoking female, funny, great with animals needs a yummy Christmas dinner. Will not work for food and may get a little tipsy and think she's funnier than she really is.Inquire within.. 😁😁

1zzrf54.jpg

#15 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:58 AM

Christian I am so jealous of your wife to have a husband that cooks as much as you do! :)

Me too. Wished I had found one of those!!

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#16 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:08 AM

Me too. Wished I had found one of those!!

😁😁
  • avian3 likes this

1zzrf54.jpg

#17 Pearlie

Pearlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,199 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-13
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:36 AM

Okay Christmas day is prime rib, duchess potatoes,  brussel sprouts, drizzled with olive oil, sea salt and garlic, then roasted and sprinkled with bacon. Also a large salad bar so people can make their own. Wine or choice of drink with dinner.

For dessert, plates of tarts, cookies, fudge and other candies, pies and cupcakes. 

After dinner, cognac, hot spiced wine  or choice of cocktail, whiskey, whatever.

Sounds wonderful!  Like Like Like!

• avian3 and Jillar like this
event.png

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER.  It does not stand for Not One Puff EXCEPT.  ~breath

#18 Nelski

Nelski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,106 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-06
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

I have had this one Frank and its spectacular :) 

http://www.jamieoliv...herby-stuffing/

I'm cooking a goose and a turkey this year with all the usual trimmings, roast potatoes, red cabbage, sprouts and bacon, glazed carrots, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls and lots of lush gravy.

Never eaten goose before so its first for me and of course I have made my job harder by choosing a slow cook version so its going to be an early start for me Christmas day :) the turkey is a "just in case I mess it up" option lol 

Starter will be a scallop mornay and pudding will be christmas cake cheese and fruit. 

I will be completely prepared for any eventuality (yeah right) and of course if a very large bus load of hungry people turn up there will be plenty to go round!!!

Enjoy your christmas food everyone :) 

• Frank, MissyCat, Pearlie and 2 others like this

1420538400_30_1_GBP_8_dark.png

#19 jordan7

jordan7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-02-25

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:47 PM

I have had this one Frank and its spectacular :)

http://www.jamieoliv...herby-stuffing/

I'm cooking a goose and a turkey this year with all the usual trimmings, roast potatoes, red cabbage, sprouts and bacon, glazed carrots, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls and lots of lush gravy.

Never eaten goose before so its first for me and of course I have made my job harder by choosing a slow cook version so its going to be an early start for me Christmas day :) the turkey is a "just in case I mess it up" option lol 

Starter will be a scallop mornay and pudding will be christmas cake cheese and fruit. 

I will be completely prepared for any eventuality (yeah right) and of course if a very large bus load of hungry people turn up there will be plenty to go round!!!

Enjoy your christmas food everyone :)

I'm warming up the bus.  

• Frank, MissyCat, Pearlie and 2 others like this

#20 BlueBell

BlueBell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-30
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:15 PM

A husband who cooks? Yes, I have one of those too. He thinks cooking is ..making toast and pouring cereal into a bowl! Ok, so he doesn’t cook but he’s very good at cleaning up!

Christmas day – I’m making homemade gravy (that’s spaghetti sauce for you non-Italians) meatballs, sausage, lasagna, escarole and white beans and a ham. Dessert – homemade pumpkin pie and homemade cookies. Really looking forward to it – my boys (men in their 30s) love my cooking and I love watching them enjoy it.
  • Frank, MissyCat, Pearlie and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users