#1 LadyTee

LadyTee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Tina from the UK.

I have been reading this forum in all my free time at work this past week, looking for answers to how i'm feeling right now, some inspiration for my upcoming journey. So, I thought I'd give a brief introduction of myself, say hi to all you super supportive people! you really are an inspirational bunch from what i have seen so far.

So, I am 33 and have been smoking 20 a day for the most part. I have tried quitting a few times previously, patches, gum, vaping and cold turkey, but to no avail. I think that in all honesty it was because i didn't really want to give up but felt i had to for one reason or another.

Anyway, this time, after noticing how breathless i get after cycling to work, carrying a basket of washing up the stairs, etc, I have decided I have to do it once and for all... I actually want to.

I booked an appointment with my local stop smoking service, got my prescription for champix and gave myself 10 days to quit, which is tomorrow.

I haven't had many side affects as yet, which partly disappoints me. Over the past couple of days, i have felt some slight nausea, which really feels more like a hunger pain. A part of me is pleased about this, as i do not like feeling rough but a part of me wants to feel rough and make me want to quit sooner. In a way, I don't feel ready to quit tomorrow... These pills have not made me cut down or anything and i have noticed a lot of people have stopped before their quit day.... I know it is different for everyone so i think i just need to bite the bullet and say enough is enough.

I will be going to work tomorrow armed with gum, sweets, fruit, a colouring book and a book in case i have cravings. I have made a list of things i can do at home when i get cravings such as taking the dog for a walk, cleaning out cupboards, ironing, anything to keep me busy.

I also realise that this time around, I think I need some "go to" people.... people i can call upon if i feel things are getting to much. I have told myself that if i have a relapse at some point, then that is ok. Obviously i am hoping that doesn't happen, I am hoping i am stronger than i think.

From what I have seen, from posts to tickers, you have all done so well! Whether you have been smoke free for 3 days, 3 weeks to 3 years.... I can only aspire to be in the position that each and every one of you are in right now.

I look forward to hearing from you all, sorry for all the rambling

• johnny5, Smokefreetoday, Jillar and 4 others like this

#2 Electrick2

Electrick2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationNorthern Canada

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

Welcome to QSMB

Lots of good folk and info here.

Read the newbie package

Read posts and get involved with your own posts/responses

All the best.

Quit date: July 13,2016
MrsMelanie: Life isn't always how we hope it will be, but it's not worth smoking for.

Barry the Smoke says only you can prevent face fires.

#3 LadyTee

LadyTee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

Thankyou very much

#4 Anita

Anita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-16

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

Hello and welcome. Stay close here and read and post often. Share with all here whatever you are going through. Remember to post an SOS if things get too hard to handle. I never took chantix so I cannot help with advice regarding that. Look forward to watching your quit grow.
  • Jillar and Catrina like this
Tar was meant to pave roads not your lungs

#5 onthemark

onthemark

2015 Bad Ash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-07-14
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

Hi Tina,

Welcome to the qsmb and congratulations on your decision to quit. I quit cold turkey but there are many people on the board who quit with Chantix. No matter what the method, it still takes effort to quit. You are right about the difference between thinking you need to quit vs. wanting to quit. That's what finally did it for me after lots of unsuccessful bouts of refraining from smoking rather than giving it up for good.

There's lots to learn about nicotine addiction.  The only hard and fast rule is to never take another puff. 

• LadyTee likes this
b0b59c7304.png  

Proudly smoke-free since July 14, 2015

#6 johnny5

johnny5

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-16
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

Welcome to QSMB, Tina!  Congratulations on your decision to quit.

Stick around this site.  Read and participate as much as you can.  Let us know when you are struggling.  Learn all that you can about nicotine addiction.  The more you know about it, the better equipped you are at beating this addiction.

I didn't quit using Champix so I can't give you any advice there but I know many here have quit that way.

It is great to have you here.

• LadyTee likes this

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. - Marvitta

I didn't quit smoking to live longer, I did it to live better. - jwg

event.png

2j3342d.jpg

#7 garrym

garrym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-13
  • Locationphoenix, az

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

Welcome LadyTee! I can only agree with the previous posts. Stay close to the board. I smoked for over 30 thirty years and am in my 4th month of my quit. This site played a big part of my so far success. Best wishes. Read the Newbie package. Lots of great info. Did the cold turkey so I can`t comment on Chantix but you will be able to click on that in the section about ways to stop and read posts from those who have. Also, there are members who have and they will provide help. Best to you. Stay strong.
  • onthemark and LadyTee like this

#8 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,332 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:42 AM

Welcome lady, you hit the right point by saying you are ready. I was ready for the same reason as you, found this site, and stayed glued to it for the first (how far along am I now? Lol). It really helped me keep my mind off my misery of quitting by being active here. I also used my air cigarette a ton. Got that clue here too and it's simply pretending your holding a cigarette and smoking it. I did the chantix and if you're not ready to quit after ten days on it then don't. I believe it says to pick a day up to day 35 so if you need more time, give it to yourself. I was not successful on it as I only did it a month and I wasn't ready to quit. Now that I am ready, I was able to quit cold turkey.

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#9 G67

G67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-06
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:09 AM

Welcome to the board LadyTee!

#10 d2e8b8

d2e8b8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-17
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:18 AM

Welcome, Tina.  This is the BEST gift you can give yourself.

I cycle to work too (not in winter) and can relate how smoking is out of place in a cardio activity.

I didn't believe I could do it but here I am 2 months on.  One thing cycling taught me was to keep going one pedal stroke at a time when things got tough.  The same thing applies with quit.  Take it one moment at a time.  Don't worry about the long term just focus on getting past this day.

There is a post by another member - welcoming the craves - that helped me tackle the craves.  Link in my signature and maybe it will also help you tackle the craves.

Finally, please post an SOS before lighting up.  

• Jillar likes this

#11 LadyTee

LadyTee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:47 AM

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to be here a lot over the next few weeks.

So, at 11.10 last night, I smoked my last cigarette. I threw out any leftovers and my ashtrays. I was up at 5.30 this morning and decided to have my morning coffee in the lounge instead of the kitchen as that was where I would have my morning cigarette. I am currently at work, it is 8.40 and still not smoked. I cycled to work and sucked on a sherbet lemon instead. I have told myself a couple of times "NO! you do NOT need it"

So far I feel I am doing well. I know I have a lot of the day left and I am dreading going home, but at the moment I should just think about an hour at a time, small small steps

I WILL DO THIS!!!

• Nancy. and Jillar like this

#12 Hope2Nope

Hope2Nope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,829 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-31
  • LocationSea of Tranquility

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:58 AM

LadyTee, welcome to QSMB and congratulations on your decision to quit. I can guarantee this will be a decision you will never regret. Stay close to the board and educate yourself about the addiction.

I also use Chantix/Champix like you and find it very helpful but this is what it is, it's just a help. It doesn't quit for you so you still need to be vigilant to protect your quit.  Enjoy the ride :)

• LadyTee likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#13 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,589 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

Hi Tina, and welcome!

Congratulations on taking back your your life!

As others have said, education on nicotine addiction is key. Stay close, read and post often. You will find amazing support here at QSMB!
  • LadyTee likes this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#14 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Welcome Tina!  You will do great in your journey! All the best!  http://www.quitsmoki...g-is-a-journey/

#15 Lust4Life

Lust4Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-26
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

Welcome! Those first few days were brutal! I didn't think I'd make it past week 3. But, here I am looking my 3 month smobriety later this week. Read, read, read. Post. Do puzzles, color, play games. Distract & destroy those cravings. It works. It only gets easier if you keep moving forward.
  • LadyTee likes this

KMQ since September 26, 2016.  One N O P E at a time.  :grin: 

#16 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,652 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

I have told myself that if i have a relapse at some point, then that is ok. Obviously i am hoping that doesn't happen, I am hoping i am stronger than i think.

Welcome to QSMB LadyTee. The only reason why we all have quit time under our belts is because we are fully committed to Never Ever Having Another puff. Once you Quit IT IS NOT OK to relapse.

You are as strong as any of us here, you have the same liberty to put a cig in your mouth and light it as any of us. Take your QUIT, decide THIS IS IT and close all options because once you quit SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION even if the world crumbles. No body has died from quitting and knowing this plus your desire to quit there is no room for failure is there?

Desire, Quit, Committ, fight and liberate yourself from this life sucking addiction.!

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#17 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:20 AM

Welcome Tina, there's no time like the present. I also quit on Chantix and it never made me want to quit smoking either. I just finally had to pick a day and quit. When I took that plunge, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had good days and bad but I keep trudging through waiting for my day when I forget to think about a smoke. I still have thoughts of them although nothing like in the beginning. This is certainly not fit the faint of heart but if we can all do it so can you. Read often, post often and be good to yourself. Keep yourself busy but also rest of you feel like it. It's YOUR time to take care of YOU because you are doing one of the most important things you will ever do for yourself and that's being smoke free!!
  • Jillar likes this

1470637801_25_1_USD_6_pinksec.png

#18 PeeKen

PeeKen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-12-05
  • LocationDenver, Co

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:10 AM

LadyTee,

I too was very anxious to start my quit prior to my quit date.......And in large part because of all the success stories and early quits I had read about on this site.  For example, my initial quit date was the 4th of December at midnight so as to be completely smoke free when I awoke on the 5th of December, but I was simply not ready and ended up smoking the entire day up until just before midnight on the 5th.  Luckily for me, the next day when I awoke I knew I'd never smoke again.....Don't know how I knew, I just knew it.  The important lesson that I learned is that I am not everyone else.  And that my Quit is just that.....My Quit and mine alone.  So, judge yourself not by other people's successes, just concentrate on LadyTee.  Put your Quit first above all else.  Be patience, and do not worry about how you think you should feel at any particular time during your quit......Just take what may come each day and deal with it at that moment.  Welcome the cravings as a sure sign that your body is doing what it needs to do to get healthy again.  Get plenty of rest/sleep.......Each of us know exactly what causes us to fall asleep the easiest and fastest way.  For me it is relaxing in front of a movie that I have already seen before.....I'll fall asleep every single time.  And increase your intake of water to where you find yourself repeatedly going to the toilet as the water is flushing out huge amounts of toxins which would be otherwise dragging you down energy wise.  You have got this.  You can do it.  

• Jillar and LadyTee like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#19 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:50 AM

Hi Tina, welcome. I am only 5 days quit and I think about 6 days ago I posted that I don't believe I can quit. Well that turns out to be wrong. I'm certain you can quit also. You just need to commit to it and ride out the first 3 days withdrawal. I watched Joel Spitzer video's on youtube. I think that has helped me along the way. All the best. Hope to see you around here more.

• LadyTee likes this

Quit date Thursday 24th October. 2017, 10.10am AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

#20 LadyTee

LadyTee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for all your kind comments and support everyone. I am currently 33 hours and 15 minutes into my quit, which is really good. I was fine at work yesterday, but dreaded going home. I knew I would have to keep busy to keep my mind off smoking and I especially was not looking forward to finishing dinner- I would always have a cigarette straight after.... I went straight upstairs and brushed my teeth, that helped.

Back at work now and I am thinking about it a bit more today. I know it will get worse before it gets better but I shall try to keep strong.

I have an appointment this afternoon with my local stop smoking service so I will be looking forward to my carbon monoxide reading and seeing a drop in it.

• onthemark likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quit, champix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users