• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JDmississippi

JDmississippi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:28 AM

I just started taking Chantix today. I had previously used the medicine close to 10 years ago. I clearly remember two things.
1) I stopped smoking way before my official stop date.. I just forgot to smoke.
2) I remember becoming depressed and quite irritable.

I stopped using Chantix back then because the feeling of doom and gloom was very vivid while taking Chantix. I remained smoke free for a few months then relapsed.

I do know that this medicine will enable me to quit smoking, and my desire to quit now is much greater than it was 10 years ago. My intention is to stay on Chantix for at least 3 months if possible.

I was wondering if any other members of this discussion board could share your thoughts on depression associated with the use of Chantix.
I am especially interested hear from people that have experienced the blues while taking this medication. Does this feeling persist the whole time you are taking the medicine?
Does the depression from Chantix ease up a bit with time even if you continue to take the medication, or do you have to stop the Chantix in order for the depression to resolve.

Thanks in Advance to any responses!!

#2 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

Welcome and congrats on your desire to want to stop smoking again.....Chantix did not induce depression when I took it.... I do know part of the symptons state if you already have depression before taking it, taking Chantix may increase the effects of it....

Stop smoking itself can lead to the same symptons also...depression, irritable, anxiety, brain fog, and so on....Smoking can mask some underlying problems and they resurface when quitting.....The main point is once you do stop smoking, let nothing get in the way of smoking again....smoking does absolutely nothing good, while quitting heals and staying smokless continues to improve your health...

The support here is tremendous in helping quitting and staying quit....Keep us posted on how you are doing. You will get more replies on the main board as the sub boards are not visted as much......Bassman
  • Hope2Nope and JDmississippi like this

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#3 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

Welcome and congrats on your desire to want to stop smoking again.....Chantix did not induce depression when I took it.... I do know part of the symptons state if you already have depression before taking it, taking Chantix may increase the effects of it....

Stop smoking itself can lead to the same symptons also...depression, irritable, anxiety, brain fog, and so on....Smoking can mask some underlying problems and they resurface when quitting.....The main point is once you do stop smoking, let nothing get in the way of smoking again....smoking does absolutely nothing good, while quitting heals and staying smokless continues to improve your health...

The support here is tremendous in helping quitting and staying quit....Keep us posted on how you are doing. You will get more replies on the main board as the sub boards are not visted as much......Bassman

I agree 100% with Bassman. I also quit using Chantis and it is very difficult to tell which withdrawal symptoms are caused by the drug. Regardless of the method of quitting, most quitters got through irratabliliy and depression The important thing is to know that you can get through it.  Naturally, if it gets too bad, consult your physician.  You can do this!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#4 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

Excellent advice from bassman and Nancy, I stopped taking chantix because I wanted to kill my hubby while on it. Now, quitting cold turkey, I only want to hurt him lol. But seriously, when I took it I wasn't ready to quit. I was quitting for everyone but me. I think that added to my irritability. This quit has been much easier in that respect.
  • Bassman, Wana and kerance like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#5 PeeKen

PeeKen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-12-05
  • LocationDenver, Co

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:10 AM

JD, 

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit.  I am in my 22nd day on Chantix.  And the 7th day into my cig quit.  Today, the 22nd day on Chantix, I decided to cut back my intake of Chantix from 1 mg - twice daily to 1/2 mg - twice daily.  And plan to follow this routine for 7 days, then drop down to 1/2 mg - once daily for 14 days at which point I plan to stop taking Chantix.

The important thing to remember is that Chantix is there to assist in your quit.  To take some of the edge off.  which it is doing for me, but I still get cravings.  And some days are just terrible, but that is the price of freedom.  You can always adjust your dosage of Chantix.  So, just see how you feel taking the 1/2 mg - twice daily. If that is working for you, then stay there.  But if you feel you need a little bit more, then you can go with 1 mg during the day and 1/2 mg at night or vice versa depending on your individual trigger set.  Do not feel as if you must go to the full blown 1 mg - twice daily dosage.  Keep calm, get plenty of rest/sleep and drink as much water as you possibly can.  Chantix is a great aid, but like with all medications, the dosage might need to be adjusted. 

• Bassman, Jillar and JKRock like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#6 JDmississippi

JDmississippi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:44 AM

Thank you all:)
  • Bassman likes this

#7 JKRock

JKRock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:11 AM

When you say 1/2 mg did you break the pill in half? I'm just starting on this coming Sunday and a bit nervous hearing all the side effects.
I have the starting package and have been staring at it for two days.

My doctor said I could use the patch while using Chantix.....any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any feedback....I'm so ready to do this..
  • JDmississippi likes this

#8 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

G'day
Champix works by filling the nicotine receptors in your brain and leaving no room for nicotine. The cigs start not taste as they did and a cig doesn't give you the lift that it did. I don't think you really need nicotine from another source.
What you need is to stop smoking when it takes effect. My experience was that it took 21 days and a lot of 1/2 smoked cigs before I took that Big step and walked away from the cigs.
I never looked back took my 3 months worth of champix. Had a lot of changes from my body changing after 40 years of smoking but not a thing that I could blame on the champix. I did have vivid dreams but I notice others have them too.
Please read the newbies package on the main page you also need to get yourself educated on quit smoking. Champix was good for me but it only works if your motivated and treat it like tha aid that it is
C
  • Jillar and JDmississippi like this
Proud 2015 BadAshes

http://www.imagecont...20&cost_pack=20

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open -unknown

#9 PeeKen

PeeKen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-12-05
  • LocationDenver, Co

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

When you say 1/2 mg did you break the pill in half? I'm just starting on this coming Sunday and a bit nervous hearing all the side effects.
I have the starting package and have been staring at it for two days.

My doctor said I could use the patch while using Chantix.....any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any feedback....I'm so ready to do this..

Oh! Sorry JKRock,

I somehow missed your question here.  Yes, You simply break the pill in half.  The way the starter pack works is it automatically start you out on only 0.5mg (1) time daily for 3 days.  I took this one in the morning.....Did not really matter because I was still smoking.  It is just an introduction of the drug into your system.

Days 4 through 7 - You should take 0.5mg (2) times daily, once in the morning and once in the evening/night.  It is at this stage that you should listen to your body and mind as to what it is telling you and how you are feeling as far as the side effects.  Don't be afraid.

Days 8 through 28 - Depending on how you feel, you can either start taking the 1mg (2) times daily.  And see how you feel for a few days.  Or you can starting taking the 1mg (1) time daily in the morning, plus a 1/2(0.5mg) pill cut in half in the evening/night......And see how you feel for a few days..  Or you can choose to basically stay with 0.5mg (2) times daily by cutting a 1mg pill in half and consuming half in the morning and half in the evening/night.

You have options as far as the dosage.  Don't be afraid to experiment with the dosage.  Another example is that you may feel more comfortable taking a larger dose during the evening/night instead of the morning or vice versa.

And if all those options fail, then simply stop taking the medication and go with the patch or some other form of aid.  I see no problem with you using the patch while using Chantix if you are NOT smoking.  I had seriously skin irritation while using the patch in two separately.....previous quit attempts, but lots of people have had success with the patch.  bottom line is that everybody's system is different.  You'll have to discover the best method for your chemical makeup as one shoe does not fit all in this situation.

Finally, no matter which tool you decide on, you are going to have to deal with the side effects of the mass exit of toxins as your body has grown to depend on those toxins in some form or other.  So, do not associate every bad feeling you have during your Quit with Chantix. Lots of those ill feelings....depression, nausea, headaches, etc. could very well be a part of nicotine/toxin(s) withdraws.

• JKRock likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#10 JKRock

JKRock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:50 AM

PeeKen,
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the alternatives....so very much appreciated.
I feel so much better thinking I can experiment with the dosage...I'm coming to understand that it's like saying goodbye to an old friend, although a very dysfunctional, unhealthy, friend. But, it's something I'm determined to do regardless how long it takes me.

The support on this board is very comforting and helpful...I'm pretty sure I'll be checking in everyday.

Again, many thanks to all -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users