• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 limestone

limestone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Hello....Just found this forum and wanted to ask about my and your quit date. I have been taking chantix now for 3 weeks and still find myself smoking at times. I haven't tasted the bad taste or disgusting smells that some talk about, but urge hits about 5-6 times a day. I know there is work to be done on my part if this is going to work and I am not going to give up that easy.

So, the reason of my posting is....I know the instructions say set a quit date 8 - 35 days out but was wondering if some of you that have quit have taken at least 3 weeks, if not longer, longer to quit? Also, does the urge get less and less?    I just do not want to get discouraged.

Thanks

• Bassman likes this

#2 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

Hi Limestone...welcome.....While I had wanted to quit so bad, the junkie thinking in me wanted to keep smoking....I took Chantix to prove it wouldn't work but to also give quitting one last try....

I took it with Wellbutrin and going into mid week 4, I started tasting the bad in the smokes....2 days later I was onlt smoking half a cig. 2 more days later I told myself I had enough of smoking and put out my cigarette and never took another puff again....

There is so much more to quitting than just the Chantix....You also do need the want to quit....and while I did want to prove it wouldn't work, it was just my addiction talking because inside I was screaming to want to quit......I tapered off with half a pill for 2 or 3 days then stopped all together and had no problems.

However, you may want to seriously consider taking a supplement to help counter act the smoking such as sucking on cinnamon sticks, or taking small sweets..many here used Ricola. ...I used Orange Tic Tacks.....hundreds of them and it worked....

Last thing, you may want to go to the main board and post an introduction, you will get more replies....You can always post additional Chantix questions here if you want.

Well...... welcome aboard, stay close, and congrats on getting this going.....:)..Bassman

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#3 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

G'day
Yes I took 3 weeks and some missed quit dates.
The champix helps but you have to take that first big step. That big leap of faith.
If you don't believe in yourself and quit it can't do it for you.
Check out the newbee package and educate yourself on quit smoking. Champix is an aid but you are giving up and you have to prepare yourself to remain a non Smoker.
It does get better and life's good as a reformed smoker
C

1443861001_20_1_USD_20_blacksec.png
Proud 2015 BadAshes

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open - unknown

#4 silver2014

silver2014

Rockin' My Quit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-06
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

When you quit, committ to never smoking again. This makes for a" happier quit."

#5 PeeKen

PeeKen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-12-05
  • LocationDenver, Co

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

Limestone, Welcome.  You are not alone.  If you can except that fact, then it will make for clearer thinking.  Which leads me to my next point.  There is no pre-established point  at which you will come to the 'stop'  I am on my 16th day of taking Chantix.  My quit date was set for midnight of the 4th of this month.  I had the absolute worst day on the 5th, nothing went right from the moment I awoke, and I probably smoked damn near a pack of smokes that day, but thankfully a day is 24 hours long.  I finished my last cig at 11:57 on yesterday, the 5th.  Today is the 6th and first day I have not smoked.  Yes, I had moments of cravings but my commitment to not ever smoke again is stronger than those moments of cravings.  So, hang in there.  Place more importance on whether or not you are ready to stop, because if you are not, then there is no amount of Chantix you can take that will force you to stop.......That STOP has to come from you and only you.

• Jillar likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#6 limestone

limestone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

Thank you for your responses. A little secret about me...Over 28 years ago I had my last taste of alcohol. When the time came to walk away from it I never thought it would last. After 30 days I knew I would never pick up another drink and I haven't. It is the same way I feel now about smoking. I am 65 and know I have to quit!...But the addiction is kicking my butt and that is why I posted here because I was wondering if anyone was in the same situation as myself...3 or more weeks on Chantix but did not totally quit but ended up winning and still not smoking...thanks

#7 limestone

limestone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

It has been 8 weeks now without a cigarette and still fight the urge every now and then but is getting fewer and further between. Also still taking chantix. End of week 11 and don't know if I should request another 12 weeks or not. Never have gone this long before. starting to feel better and don't want to blow it.

Thanks
  • Jillar likes this

#8 mei

mei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-12

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

limestone,

I also quit with Chantix. Your 8 weeks quit is Fantastic!!!  Stay strong. You have got this. I thought about doing 3 more months of chantix but decided against. If you think it will do anything 

to keep you quit then go for 12 more weeks. Do what ever it takes to not smoke. Keep this quit going. 

• Jillar likes this

1471024801_35_1_USD_7_blacksec.png

#9 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

Congratulations on 8 weeks limestone, doesn't it feel awesome? I agree with Mei that if you feel like you need to prolong the chantix then by all means do it. They recommemd minimum of three months especially for long time smokers :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#10 taxmeless

taxmeless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:43 PM

I went for a CT low dose screen. Came back that I likely have Stage 1 Lung Cancer. I  am only 55 years old and my life is probably done. For What? A friggin cig. I urge you to quit. IF you don't you will soon wind up like me. I quit the day I learned my fate. Too late... But when you realize the damage its easy.

#11 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Taxmeless - so sorry to hear of your diagnosis but stage 1 - is that not an early diagnosis? Surely there are some options at this point to stop the spread and maybe even eliminate the existing cancer? What are your doctors telling you and what are the next steps for you? We are here to support you in any way we can. Thank you for your courage to post here and encourage others to quit smoking. Most of us don't realize how bad this addiction really is and anything that can help someone to quit is a good thing. I wish you well and please let us know how you're doing.  

1485676801_25_1_USD_13_whitesec.png

#12 JTsunshine

JTsunshine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-23
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Congratulations on 8 weeks limestone, doesn't it feel awesome? I agree with Mei that if you feel like you need to prolong the chantix then by all means do it. They recommemd minimum of three months especially for long time smokers :)

Thanks for posting this.  I just quit 15 days ago and already want to get off Chantix.  I have unpleasant side effects, but I wasn't sure if it was too soon to stop taking them.

• Shelly1966 likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

#13 Shelly1966

Shelly1966

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

Hi
I have been on Chantix for 18 days. Havnt had a cig for 10 days. I feel so unmotivated that I'm going to ask dr if I can stop taking. I really don't think I'll smoke

#14 limestone

limestone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

My doctor re prescribed more chantix but I only continued for about a week, for a total of 13 weeks. I was nervous to stop but my sleep was beginning to be affected. Anyway...I haven't had a cigarette since December 6, 2016. I know it's only been 3.5 months but it is the longest I have been without a cigarette since god knows when. The urge has pretty much gone away and hope it stays that way.

Thanks
  • JTsunshine likes this

#15 JTsunshine

JTsunshine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-23
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hi
I have been on Chantix for 18 days. Havnt had a cig for 10 days. I feel so unmotivated that I'm going to ask dr if I can stop taking. I really don't think I'll smoke

I also feel that way......but I will stay on this med a little longer just so I don't relapse.   I am so happy I quit!

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users