• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Simone

Simone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

I'll try to make this short, I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone.

Background:  I've been taking Chantix for 24 days, continued smoking 1 to 2 packs a day.  My Doctor and I decided I would take it a full month then cut my smokes by half for the second month, half again the third, etc.  So I've been taking the pills and haven't felt anything.  No side effects at all.  Zero, zilch, zip, nada.  

The Dream:

During this time I did have a sense that I was having a recurring dream. It didn't bother me and I didn't associate it with Chantix because I've had these before in my life.  I couldn't remember anything about it but I sensed that it was kinda-sorta more of a comforting dream then a nightmare.  I felt nothing about this dream really, it just was.  You should be aware that I never associate any meaning to any of my dreams and always poo-poo'd anyone who did.  I always hated it when someone feels the need to tell me their dreams in detail.   To me, dreams were my nightly entertainment, I enjoyed them.  That's it.

Anyway - last night this dream I sensed became crystal clear: The gist of it is that I had made an agreement to commit suicide on a certain date.  Yes - SUICIDE! This agreement was made with people I knew and respected and I took it seriously.  I was committed to commit suicide on a specific date.  I wasn't upset or scared by the thought, it just seemed to make sense that I was going to do it.  I felt content in that knowledge and was a happy camper.  (Listen up - I have never had suicidal thoughts in my life, never.  Don't even go there.)  This went on for a long time, this suicide/contentment thing.

So - the end of the dream was the day I was supposed to do it.  Kill myself. All the sudden I didn't want to, I don't know why but I just didn't.  Not wanting to do it didn't seem like a big deal to me but it was to the people I made the suicide contract with.  I spent all of the rest of the dream running away from them.  Lucky me there were also a lot of people I knew who were helping me evade them.  It wasn't a nightmare, it was an adventure.  In the end I won and didn't commit suicide, somehow we put a stop to the the people who were coming after me.  

Long story short - when I woke up I knew that I would never smoke again.  Huh?  That's right.  I knew I quit as soon as I opened my eyes this morning.   I have been smoking for at least 46 years, I tell people I smoke a pack a day, but its really almost 2.   Now its almost 3 PM and haven't even wanted a smoke.  I always want to smoke.  I smoke first thing in the morning before I get out of bed, I smoke before my first cup of coffee, I smoke with my first cup of coffee.  I light a smoke to let the dog out , before I do the dishes, when I drive, when I drink, I'll risk missing a plane flight to go outside for a last smoke.  I'm a SMOKER and I've always been a smoker.  But now I'm not.  I don't want a cigarette.  I can't explain it, I never really thought I would ever quit.  I thought I'd go through the motions and fail like I have many many times before.  I love to smoke, absolutely love it. 

I think its the Chantix, I think it worked.  Damn, I'm kinda blown away

• Smokefreetoday, Jillar, Hope2Nope and 1 other like this

[img=http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;465/st/20140803/e/I+stopped+smoking/dt/6/k/f773/event.png]

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

Welcome Simone, that's quite the dream lol. I loved the dreams when I was on chantix and yes, it looks like it's working for you :) Congratulations on the first day off those nasty cancer sticks! May I suggest getting yourself a ticker so you can watch the money, days and cigs not smoked add up? It's pretty cool to watch :)
  • Nancy. and Bassman like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

Hi Simone and welcome.....I gave up analyzing dreams years ago...and learned to enjoy the good ones...especially the one where I tell myself I know I'm dreaming and do anything I want.....But....sounds like your mind knew something and point is you quit and that is what counts.

Chantix helped me stop smoking along with my desire to quit, only took 5 weeks for me then I stopped the Chantix 3 or 4 days later and haven't taken a puff since.....

You may very well have loved smoking, but also know there is an addiction that loves nicotine and that is what always keeps us smoking till we break that cycle....

So......great you quit, you will have all the support you need if you need it....Commit to yourself to come here and post a SOS before smokeing and let the support work with you if it should come to it.....

I didn't go through a lot of motions either this time...I knew it was my last time...Keep us posted on how you are doing Simone, someone's always here....:)...Bassman
  • Jillar likes this

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#4 silver2014

silver2014

Rockin' My Quit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-06
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

Good luck on your journey, Simone.    :grin:

Just remember that you still have to do your part even with Chantix. Read about addiction on this board. Keep strong.

• Frank likes this

#5 PeeKen

PeeKen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-12-05
  • LocationDenver, Co

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:52 AM

Congrats Simone!!  Interesting story.  What is important is that we are here fighting the good fight and have made the decision to quit.  By the way, I don't remember any of my dreams or if I even have them.  But Chantix did increase my memory of having had dreams, but I still could not remember the details any of them.

Congrats again on your quit.

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#6 dotchess

dotchess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:16 AM

Congrats!! Chantix has worked for me too!

#7 JTsunshine

JTsunshine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-23
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

Chantix is the only thing that helped me to succeed!!

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

#8 Dannigirl

Dannigirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-01
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:49 PM

Simone, that is an amazing story, and thank you for sharing!  Good luck to you!

I have never used Chantix, but my sister tried it once.  She said it started to make her depressed and have suicidal thoughts so she had to stop taking it.  That's why I never tried it.  Just wondering if you knew prior to your dream that suicidal thoughts may be a side effect of taking Chantix, and you had that subconsciously in your mind, and then dreamed about it.  Regardless, sounds like it worked for you.

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Take care and good luck, Danni

"My smoking habit might have been bothering you, but it was killing me!"

"The Choice to Quit is yours, but don't be too late!"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

#9 eric082973

eric082973

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

I just started Chantix for the second time and planning on stopping for good this time. The first time I was only using it to quit for 5 days prior to my spinal fusion in January 2015 and will admit missed the strange dreams it gives me. After my surgery was done I still made it 2 days without a cigarette until my roommate came in that smoked and I traded him some of my pain pills for some Marlboros which was stupid on my part. I enjoy smoking, but also enjoy tasting food and not smelling like an ashtray. I just recently started back on Chantix and this time it's my decision, where before I was forced to stop 5 days before surgery and he did a piss test to be certain. I'm still smoking, but get that full feeling much sooner and it has so far helped me extend the time before wanting another.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chantix, dreams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users