• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Jen1172

Jen1172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

I've had my prescription for one week and haven't started taking it yet. I'm reading about the side effects and I'm terrified. I don't like taking meds but I know this is the only thing that will help me quit. I've been smoking for 20 yrs and I need to quit. I've been a little depressed lately...my kids have grown up and the last just moved into his new house...making my house now feel empty. I'm afraid that this is going to make it worse. Or have horrible dreams or not be able to sleep or even be sick everyday. I know in the end it will be worth it though. So can you help by telling me it isn't so bad...lol?

#2 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

Hi Jen, welcome to QSMB......doesn't affect everyone the same....follow directions....Only side effect I had was some upset stomach that was managable....
However it really isn't the only way....Cold turkey is quite effective and with the support here, it is managable...Never had a bad dream, only had one vivid dream talking to a turtle....I had no other symptons except it helped make it quite managable to quit.

Everyone is not the same so the "just because" rule does not apply....What is the same is the greatness you will do for yourself by quitting.... Mindset makes a huge difference.....Don't expect bad....The bite is not as bad as continued smoking....

It really isn't so bad at all.....It is so great to finally quit smoking for good....:)...Bassman
  • Jillar and Jen1172 like this

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#3 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

Welcome Jen!  We are looking forward to your quit... You will do well.

http://www.quitsmoki...g-is-a-journey/

• Jen1172 likes this

#4 Jen1172

Jen1172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:54 PM

Thank you! I just took my first pill. I'm excited and scared at the same time but I think this forum will be great support!
  • Bassman and Jillar like this

#5 talaldaher

talaldaher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

congrats, i am right now on champix (day 16), and like you i had the same thoughts and i had to postpone taking it a couple of times. took it eventually and had no side effects aside some flatulation and constipation. stopped smoking last monday which was one day aheaad of my quit day (untill day 11 i thought i will smoke till midnight of day 14, then quickly took the decision).

i feel not smoking is quite easy for me right now , and i ve been more than 2packs/day smoker for the last 15 years.. so if i did it then you sure can before it is too late :)

• Jillar likes this

#6 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

Hey Jen and welcome to the board.  I had a prescription for Chantix for months before I actually had it  filled.  I finally took the plunge and started taking it in July and quit smoking on August 8.  Like you, I was so scared to take it for fear of the side effects I could possibly have.  Like everyone has said, it will not effect everyone the same way.  I, for one, had very few side effects.  I would get a little upset stomach if I didn't take it with some crackers but other than that it was hard to tell what were side effects of Chantix or just side effects of quitting smoking.  I've read where people who quit cold turkey have the same symptoms that people blame on Chantix.

Quitting is hard and you need to know that while Chantix is helpful, it is not a cure all.  You will still have to work hard to stay smoke free while you let Chantix take the edge off.  I probably would have never quit if it weren't for this drug.  I am now smoke free and finished up my Chantix last Sunday.

You can do this.  If you have problems on Chantix and find you can't take it, take another route.  If you find you can take it, that's great.  All you have to do is remember one thing, just don't smoke.

1470637801_25_1_USD_6_pinksec.png

#7 JustaGuy

JustaGuy

TA DA!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-14
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hello, Miss Jen!

Quitting smoking is the best decision you will ever make in your life.

If you can accomplish that with a little help from Chantix, I say go for it!

Addiction is an awful thing.  You already know that, though.  Being an addict means to be controlled by something every tick of the clock.

Escaping this is not going to be easy.  There are going to be many side effects just associated with quitting, alone.

You're going to have headaches, anxiety, nausea, moodiness, flatulence (yep), and other bizarre behavior effects.

The good news is that none of these are permanent, and that all of these are survivable.

Chantix blocks your dopamine receptors in your brain, from the way I understand it.

What it feels like...is just a normal day.  But try to take a drag off a cigarette and after a couple days, it's going to taste like hot garbage.

After that smoke you're not going to be as satisfied.   It will actually be a little confusing.  Maybe you'll smoke a second one?

Again, hot garbage.  Remember how your first cigarettes tasted 20 years ago?   This is what Chantix will do.

Chantix is going to stomp a boot all over your pack of smokes so that you're not going to enjoy them like you're used to.

After about a week, you'll start to forget about smoking, as much...even though you still THINK you have to smoke.

Chantix, doesn't stop you from smoking, though.  It just gives you the confidence to TRY walking away.

At this point, you throw your cigarettes away, and take those small steps towards freedom.

This was my experience, and I quit with Chantix three times.  The last time, I finally came here and discovered the support and education that made all the difference.

We're not qualified doctors to give opinions, I realize.   So I'll just tell you that I didn't discover any side effects from Chantix other than the ability to quit smoking.

And the dreams, of course.   But I have to say, those dreams were just a perk of using Chantix!  

They weren't bad dreams.  They were amazingly vivid and I could remember so many details after I woke up.  

Sadly, they only lasted a couple weeks.  I miss those dreams.

Depression, however, is a serious issue that needs to be carefully monitored and discussed with your physician.  Quitting is already an emotional journey.

But with the right support, here and at home, I believe Chantix will be very helpful.

Either way, I hope you take that leap of faith, and join us here on this journey together.

I know that you can do it, and you're going to find those "bad" side effects won't hold a candle to the awesome new side effects of being Alive finally.

~d

• Bassman, Jillar, krazykittygirl and 2 others like this

I am a puff away from a pack a day. ~Soul

It's not easy to quit - but it is simple. All you have to do is not smoke. ~jwg 

#8 Jen1172

Jen1172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:59 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I only started today and cigarettes are already not tasting the same! I do feel a bit sleepy and a little nauseous but nothing extreme. Feeling more hopeful!
  • Jillar and talaldaher like this

#9 mei

mei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-12

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:50 PM

Jen1172.

I did the chantix thing also. Very little nausea. No nightmares of any kind. I could just remember dreams better when i did wakeup. I also do not like meds of any kind.

i dont even like taking an aspirin unless i must. which isn't very often. I was a smoker for 40 years. made several attempts to quit. i quit with chantix. it takes the edge off of your withdrawals.

you have to really want to quit though. i am almost 3 months quit. i cannot believe it. trust me. if i can quit after 40 years of heavy smoking. YOU CAN!!! don't let chantix worry you.

if you are uncomfortable with anything talk to your doctor. try your very best to quit smoking. you will not believe the benefits. i am no longer on chantix but did the whole 3 months worth.

GOOD LUCK with your quit. congrats for that decision. STAY STRONG!!!!STAY JEN1172 STRONG!!!  you can do this. chantix is just a little helper.  

1471024801_35_1_USD_7_blacksec.png

#10 Jen1172

Jen1172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:58 PM

Thanks mei! My Dr said if I had any questions or problems to call him and he'd answer them or make an appointment. I'm on day 3 of chanting now and so far just some nausea and soooo tired. I actually overslept yesterday and was an hour late for work I've never ever been late before! But the benefits will outweigh the small discomforts, I'm sure. How long do you think is ok to smoke while taking it? I definitely don't want to as often and it doesn't feel like it does anything for me but I still find myself lighting up. Hope I'm not already a failure.

#11 mei

mei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-12

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:26 PM

Jen1172,

I took chantix for about 10 or 11 days before i quit smoking. I lit a smoke after the 10 or 11 days and it tasted not bad not good. no taste. i decided right then it was time to quit. don't ever think of yourself as a faliure

even if you don't succeed the first time you try to quit. i tried many many times to quit over the years. i wasn't a failure i just wasn't really ready to quit. chantix just takes the edge off your withdrawals. it is not a miracle drug.

you really really have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. the first few days are hell. i'm not going to say there not. but i will be honest with you. it was not as hard i as thought. fear plays a big factor into how 

hard you think it's going to be. go one week without smoking after the cigarettes don't taste so good. one week. you will see what i mean that it's not that hard. Jen1172 please try it for one week.

you may surprise yourself. come here often and stay very close to these people on this board. they are priceless. you can do this Jen trust me.STAY STRONG!!!

#12 Jen1172

Jen1172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:32 AM

Jen1172,

I took chantix for about 10 or 11 days before i quit smoking. I lit a smoke after the 10 or 11 days and it tasted not bad not good. no taste. i decided right then it was time to quit. don't ever think of yourself as a faliure

even if you don't succeed the first time you try to quit. i tried many many times to quit over the years. i wasn't a failure i just wasn't really ready to quit. chantix just takes the edge off your withdrawals. it is not a miracle drug.

you really really have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. the first few days are hell. i'm not going to say there not. but i will be honest with you. it was not as hard i as thought. fear plays a big factor into how

hard you think it's going to be. go one week without smoking after the cigarettes don't taste so good. one week. you will see what i mean that it's not that hard. Jen1172 please try it for one week.

you may surprise yourself. come here often and stay very close to these people on this board. they are priceless. you can do this Jen trust me.STAY STRONG!!!

#13 Jen1172

Jen1172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:37 AM

Thank you...I definitely want this. My friend and I are quitting together. We started when we were teens and we're going to stop together too. She's using something we can't talk about here lol. Anyway, I already feel better even with smoking a few a day...I cannot wait to see how it feels to be smoke free! I guess just feeling low because everyone here has already quit. I feel guilty for smoking on my 4th day of chantix. But thanks for making me feel a little better.

#14 JustaGuy

JustaGuy

TA DA!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-14
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:08 AM

You're already doing fine just by being here and learning.
Kudos to you, ...seriously!

My advice is quit when your body tells you to.

If you're already feeling the medicine working, it might be a good time to go for it.
It is possible to refuse to quit and keep smoking through the effects. Your addiction will be only too happy to adjust rather than die.

The general consensus here on the boards has always been, "Set a quit date. Then stick to it."
That's good advice. Tell everyone you know and love that you're quitting.
It helps to have all the support you can find, and it gives you time to boost your confidence.

As for myself, I liken this experience to climbing that long ladder up to the high dive:

Take a deep breath. Picture that water sparkling down below.
Don't think about that ladder behind you.
You don't want to go back down that way.

Just breathe in deeply.
Feel your friends below. Smiling and encouraging.
Think of how wonderful it will be to fly.

And step off when you're ready.

All up to you, Miss Jeni. Your Quit is right when YOU say it is.
There's no time limit.

:)

N.O.P.E.
~d
  • Jen1172 likes this

I am a puff away from a pack a day. ~Soul

It's not easy to quit - but it is simple. All you have to do is not smoke. ~jwg 

#15 Jen1172

Jen1172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:16 PM

I'm now on day 6 of Chanix and I had my last cigarette at 11pm last night. I don't want another one. I decided to quit 8 days before my set quit date (my birthday). The best gift anyone could possibly give me is freedom from smoking and I'm the only one who can give that. Nothing could ever top it...I think Ive got this. I know there will be tough days ahead but I'm ready.
  • Smurf, Jillar and talaldaher like this

#16 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,981 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

Awesome Jen, I'm thrilled that you have started your quit earlier than you planned. From my understanding, those are the quits that stick! Keep posting and let us know how you're doing :)

• Jen1172 likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#17 mei

mei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-12

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:12 PM

Jen1172,

Congrats on you starting your quit. It sounds like you are truly ready for this. You can do this. STAY STRONG!!!  Start posting on the main page. Post how your doing and feeling.

You will get much more feedback and support there. these people are an unbelievable support group. Priceless.Is your friend as pumped about this as you are? I hope so. 

It will make it easier with a quit buddy. Read- read-read. Post-post-post. Stay Strong!!!

• Jen1172 likes this

#18 d2e8b8

d2e8b8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-17
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:46 AM

What mei said - do consider starting your own journal on the main page.  It's good to stay close and post your experiences often in the initial days.

Also consider starting a ticker - it's kind of cool to see the days, cigs avoided counting up.

Promise yourself that you'll post an SOS before lighting up.  It works and has helped many members keep their quit through a crave.

#19 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

G'day
Scarey side effect... As an addicted smoker... I didn't smoke...
I turned away. .. And I walked away....and never looked back.
C
Proud 2015 BadAshes

http://www.imagecont...20&cost_pack=20

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open -unknown

#20 Ksp

Ksp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:43 AM

I too have a prescription that I have not started due to all the negative feedback on the internet and not finding a lot of positive comments. I know everyone reacts differently to medicine and I won't know unless I try it. That being said I'm still having a difficult time doing so.
I am also wondering as your body adjusts do the negative side effects dissipate?
I need to quit smoking like everyone else and am looking for encouragement. I have a vacation out of the country in 2 weeks and would like to go on the heals of being smoke-free but also don't want to be sick from the medicine. Suggestions, feedback, experiences welcomed!!! Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users