• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jcary86

Jcary86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:14 PM

i have smoked for 15 years and took my day 2 of chantix this morning! It did cause me vomiting but I can get past that if will help me to quit smoking! I have 3 kids that make me want to quit!! Any advice with chantix?

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:29 PM

Welcome jcary, it is recommended to eat a little something before you take your pill to help with the nausea. I'm not a breakfast eater so I would have a mini donut in the morning before my pill and never got sick. I ended up stopping chantix after three weeks because it was either the chantix or a divorce lawyer because of the mood swings lol. Hope this helps :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 Jcary86

Jcary86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:32 PM

Did you quit within the three weeks? I am very worried about mood swings, being a working mom of three young ones I can't get too moody!!

#4 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:48 PM

Welcome to the board, Jcary!

Always, always, have something to eat before you take the Chantix.  The only side effect I had was vivid dreams...never nightmares, just dreams.  I smoked my last cigarette on day 13 of Chantix, but continued to take it for the full twelve weeks.  Regardless of what quit method you use, there will be ups and downs in your moods and emotions...just make up your mind you will control them.  Explain to those you love and work with that you are making this wonderful choice to improve your life and health.  This letter might help.  You can do this!

You might also post an introduction on the Main Board, where more people will see you!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#5 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:50 PM

I quit after the first week on it and was smoke free for three weeks. But never refilled my prescription because of the mood swings I was having and as a result started right back to smoking. It's recommended that you stay on it for at least three months I believe and everyone I know who did stay on it is still quit :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#6 Jcary86

Jcary86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am defiantly going to try eating soemthing more with it, this morning when I took it and got sick all I had with it was a little snack cake and a bottle of water!

#7 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:03 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am defiantly going to try eating soemthing more with it, this morning when I took it and got sick all I had with it was a little snack cake and a bottle of water!

I had never eaten breakfast, but I certainly had to with the Chantix.  It is good for your health, anyway!

I had mood swings, but so does everyone I know that has quit...it is hard to know if it is the drug, or just withdrawal.  Regardless, you can do this!  Not One Puff Ever!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#8 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:56 PM

i have smoked for 15 years and took my day 2 of chantix this morning! It did cause me vomiting but I can get past that if will help me to quit smoking! I have 3 kids that make me want to quit!! Any advice with chantix?

Welcome Jcary86.....Chantix helped with my quit also......I tapered off smoking at about week 5 and a few days later stopped smoking and quit the Chantix 2 days after that........Only effect was slight upset stomach, I did eat before each pill....I did have one vivid dream though.....walking hand in hand with a turtle having a nice conversation.......

But the best of it all, it did mask the craves and with taking orange Tic Tacks along with the desire to quit, I did it......Add the support here that is second to none and quitting is a no brainer.......Have the will, want, and desire and post a SOS before you smoke if it get to that for you......

The longer you stay quit Jcary86, the more it adds and builds to a healthier you.....Bassman

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#9 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

Welcome jcary, I am also on chantix and honestly I never thought I would be at this place in my life. I have said for years I was going to quit and always found an excuse not to. While the chantix does help, it's not magic. You have to make up your mind this is it and stick with it. The chantix never made me sick to the point it did you but I always ate a piece of toast or peanut butter crackers with the morning dose and the evening one doesn't bother me. Yes there are mood swings but it could be the medication, just quitting or a combination of both. What you will have to endure will be a drop in the bucket compared to a lifetime of smoking. Stay close and post often. Ask for help when you need it. Lots of amazing people here. Glad to have you join us.
  • Nancy. and Jillar like this

1470637801_25_1_USD_6_pinksec.png

#10 mei

mei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-12

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:01 PM

jcary,

welcome, congrats on your decision to quit. previous 40 year smoker. chantix is the only way i found to help my quit. had tried before with no success. it really helped with the cravings

really helped! i never experience nausea while taking it. i feel very lucky for that. as far as dreams go,i can remember them better. nothing crazy or nightmarish . everyone is different though.

i started maybe 10 days on chantix before i quit. still taking them and i am 1 day away from 7 weeks quit. you can do this if you really want it. but you have to want to quit. chantix just takes enough

edge off that i could cope. stay on this board, read everything you can. these people are amazing support!!! read!read!read! STAY STRONG!!! STAY JCARY STRONG!!!! YOU CAN QUIT!!

STAY CLOSE TO THESE PEOPLE and this site

1471024801_35_1_USD_7_blacksec.png

#11 Jcary86

Jcary86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

Thanks! Just finished with day 4- the nausea has gotten much better so far no noticeable difference with the smoking!!

#12 Jcary86

Jcary86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:05 PM

Day 5- still smoking the same amount? When did this change for everyone else? Also anyone know if drinking a few alcohol drinks is ok?

#13 dsuppes

dsuppes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-11

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

I cut down on purpose by changing some of my routine.  No smoking in the car etc.  I was worried on day 9 on chantix and posted here.  They assured me everyone is different and to wait it out.  I actually stopped a week before the day I was going to finally make my quit day (I think it was day 21 but not sure) because they started to make me gag.  You are early.  I know people advise to not drink alcohol or avoid caffeine.  I refused to let that interfere with me.  I was not giving up everything.  I felt if I did, I would feel deprived and it would not work with me.   Again, everyone is different.  You need to know yourself and do whatever it takes to protect your quit.  My husband still smokes, and I just refuse to let that be an excuse for me.  No excuses  NOPE You can do it.

1468263601_30_1_USD_5_bluesec.png

#14 Sunfire562

Sunfire562

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-01
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

Jcary, welcome. I am on day 9 of Chantix and quit this morning. I was a 1 to 1 1/2 pk per day smoker for close to 40 years. When I started the chantix I made the decision that the inside of my house was now smoke free, this helped me decrease the number I smoked each day. After a couple of days of taking the chantix I noticed my smokes just tasted a little off, everybody is different though some don't notice it until much later. As others have said the Chantix will help but you have to WANT to quit and you still have to do the work, it isn't a miracle drug. Not only do you have to break yourself of the nicotine but you also have to break yourself of the habits you associate with smoking. Keep educating yourself by reading everything you can in the Newbie Package, the more you know the more it will help your quit stick. You've come to the right place, the members of this forum will become your biggest cheerleaders, they are here not only for the good times but to help pick us up and encourage us when we need it. You CAN DO THIS!

• Smurf and cbdave like this

"At any given moment you have the POWER to say this is NOT how the story is going to END"

"Don't give up what you want MOST, for what you want NOW"

"I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm Telling yout It's going to be WORTH IT!"

"In Life you have 3 choices:  Give Up, Give In or GIVE IT YOUR ALL!!!!!"

event.png

#15 labritting

labritting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:33 AM

Hi there! Congrats on starting your journey. I have been on Chantix for about 3 weeks. I stopped smoking all together at day 12. It was still a little hard but I talked myself through the cravings. I also took the money I saved and but it in a glass jar so I could see it. As for side effects, I had some nausea but it has almost cleared up now. Also had a day or two of crabbiness but it went away. I think it's normal nicotine withdrawal. I wish you the best of luck, it is so worth it!

#16 Wana

Wana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-12-22
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:51 PM

Hi JC.  Chantix made me very nauseous no matter what I ate or drank before or after.  I smoked normally until I quit on day 7.  I decided to quit Chantix on day 11 and never looked back.  As far as drinking, I decided I wasn't going to let quitting smoking take away my enjoyment of a glass of wine or 2.  I wish you the best in your quit!  Let us know how you're doing!

1450746000_20_1_USD_7.2_default.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users