8 replies to this topic

#1 PFunk

PFunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:04 PM

Howdy,

I’ve found these forums very useful, so I thought I’d share my experience of Champix/Chantix in case it’s also of use to anyone!

I’m 36, I smoke about 20/day and this is my second time quitting. I first quit cold turkey in my mid-20s, started again a few years later when my dad died, and here I am, 9 years later, still loving smoking but realising I need to quit sometime, so I’ve sought some assistance this time!

I did a fair bit of research and decided Champix was best for me. Before I quit cold turkey in my 20s, I’d tried nicotine replacement (patches, inhalators, etc) and found they weren’t for me. I also tried Zyban but I got very severe side effects and had to stop them.

I’ve had a history of depression/anxiety, which was a red flag for Champix use, but I feel comfortable that I’ll recognise if it’s becoming a problem.

So, I’m on day 6 of my Champix meds (2 x 0.5mg – that goes up to 2 x 1mg tomorrow) and I’m still smoking about 15/day because I’ve only just started getting the funny taste from smoking and I’m still enjoying smoking for the most part.

Side effects have been noticeable but not too harsh so far. I feel a bit lethargic, my head is a bit hazy at times, and I keep waking up in the night and having vivid dreams (they’re ordinary dreams but I remember them fairly clearly, whereas usually I hardly ever remember my dreams), but no nausea to report as yet. Fingers crossed the upcoming increase in dosage doesn’t take a toll!

I’ve chosen day 12 - Thursday 8th September - as my quit date, so we’ll see how it goes.

That’s all for now. I’ll let you know how I get on!

Thanks,

PFunk

• Julia924 likes this

#2 Stephanie79

Stephanie79

Advanced Member

• NEWLY_REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-23
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hey PFunk, welcome to the boards and congratulations on taking back your life. Deciding to quit smoking is the best decision you could have made. Make sure you head over to the main board to introduce yourself as most of us post on that board.

I am also a fellow Chantix user and I couldn't be happier with how it is working for me. I am on day 19 of the chantix and day 11 quit. I quit on day 8 when I started the blue pill. We are here for you if you need anything. Got a bad craving and relapse is likely post an sos and we will come running. We are here for you. This is a great bunch of people and we have each others back.

1471786200_2_20_USD_4.00_default.png

#3 PFunk

PFunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you kindly for the support and sharing your experiences.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads with Champix. I'm on day 11 (i.e. I've been on 2 x 1mg blue pills for a few days) and:

1) I'm still not noticing any significant effect. I'm still very much enjoying smoking and I'd hoped they would've stopped me enjoying it quite so much by now.
2) I've become increasingly depressed and lethargic over the last few days.

If the pills suddenly kick in and help me to quit, it'll be worth the side effects, but I'm concerned that I could be on a slippery slope to misery and still smoking hah. The depression is quite bad but nothing I can't handle... IF it's going to be worth it!

Did the pills work gradually with you or did you just suddenly not enjoy smoking anymore? Do you think I should stick with it?

Thanks,

PFunk

#4 Stephanie79

Stephanie79

Advanced Member

• NEWLY_REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-23
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

No PFunk your not at a crossroads with the Champix. You are still enjoying the smoke because simply put your not ready to put them down yet and that is okay. That is why you can choose a flexible quit date between the days 8 - 35. The depressed and lethargic feeling in opinion is because your nicotine receptors are no longer receiving the nicotine. So there for you are smoking purely out of habit. My advice to you is first if the depression gets to be to much or worrisome consult a doctor, in fact I would go ahead and talk to your doctor. Second is pick a day. Preferrably a day that you have off. Plan that day from the time you get up. Change up how you get up and do things. Then set your day in motion. The Chantix/Champix, helps reduces the urges. Kinda puts a muffler on them. Like a muffler does with a car. without it the car is loud and obnoxious, but with the muffler the car becomes quiet and tolerable. It is the same principle as this. The cravings and urges will still be there, but they are more tolerable, more managable. The Champix isn't a miracle pill. You still have to do the work. You say you are only on the Champix for 11 day's pick a day that your comfortable with. Read and educate yourself on nicotine addiction. figure out things that will help you when get an urge/craving. try them out. See what works. stock up on what works, have a day plan that uses your hands and mind. Build up your quit kit and take the knowledge, the plan you have in place and on your quit date put it all into action. I would also post here what day you have choosen, so that way you can be held accountable. I also suggest finding a quit buddy. Someone in your time zone.

As for how the pills worked for me, well it was gradual, but sudden. I still thought I enjoyed the habit, so I would smoke. One day I decided I was going to see if I could go as long as I could and before I knew it I was through with day one. That was on August 23, My quit date was September 1st. I have read up on chantix. I know some people wait until the very last day. Day 35 as their quit date.

PFunk, Do I think you should stick with it? Yeah I do, because you can do this. Quitting smoking is worth it. You just have to believe in yourself enough to take the plunge and step out onto that bridge. I know taking that step is scary and frightening. Believe me, we all have been there, but also believe that there are people right now all across this huge world that will be there to help you and encourage you, we are here to cheer for you, and  to support you throughout your journey. We can't force you to take that first step. All we can do is be here for you when you do.

Stephanie

• Smurf and cbdave like this

#5 PFunk

PFunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

Hi Stephanie,

I've been away for a long weekend and I forgot to thank you for your epic post. It was very helpful and inspirational, and it really gave me a kick up the bum, so thanks again.

It seems Champix has different instructions in the UK. Here it tells you to pick a quit date between 8 and 14 days. I decided to quit on Day 14... and stop the pills on that day as well. This is due to two things: 1) the depression was becoming a problem; 2) it stays in your system for up to 7 days anyway, so I'd have the effects during the hardest period.

I already own an e-cig, so I figured I'd use that to help with any bad cravings, too.

Well, I'm pleased to report that I'm now on my 4th day without cigarettes!

The cravings have been particularly bad yesterday and today, but the e-cig is helping a lot. I'm trying to avoid using it too much so that I'm not dependent on it long term, but the main thing is I'm no longer sucking in all the additional tar and poisons.

Thanks again for your support!

• Julia924 likes this

#6 mei

mei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-12

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:08 PM

pfunk

i am also doing chantix. i am in week 5 of my quit. i was like you at first wondering when i would feel like quitting. i had chosen august 14 but on august 12 i smoked my last one while on the computer.

it didnt taste good or bad. i will say this though. i had been wrestling with quitting for at least 1 year. did not try to quit but never lit one cigarette that did not make me think of quitting. this went on for a year.

i dont think i smoked one out of habit for that entire year. it nawwed at me every time i lit one. it would not leave me alone. every time i lit one i was reminded i should quit. i think i was more than ready to quit.

you have to be ready. chantix helps the cravings but will not make you want to quit. you can do it. YOU CAN STOP SMOKING FOREVER!!! previous 40 year smoker. if i can i know YOU CAN!!!

BE STRONG!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!!    YOU CAN QUIT!!!

1471024801_35_1_USD_7_blacksec.png

#7 Stephanie79

Stephanie79

Advanced Member

• NEWLY_REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-23
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:30 AM

mei- how long were you on the chantix before you quit? Just curious as Chantix is a 12 week program.

#8 mei

mei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-12

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:14 PM

stephanie79

i was on chantix for 11 or 12 days before my quit. you might have misunderstood my post earlier. it took me a year of thinking about quitting before i got chantix. my thought process was unrelenting that whole year.

every time i lit up i was reminded i needed to quit. 

congratulations on your quit. have seen many of your posts. i know you will succeed. BE STRONG!!!

1471024801_35_1_USD_7_blacksec.png

#9 Stephanie79

Stephanie79

Advanced Member

• NEWLY_REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-23
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:27 PM

Thank you mei, I am just taking it a day at a time. Sometimes just a moment at a time, but here I am in my 4th week and am amazed that it has almost been a month. 5 weeks smoke free is great as well. Keep up the good work our quits are close together. So let's keep in touch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: champix, chantix, side effects

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users